Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: boost control
beaver34

posted on 25/8/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
boost control

people who runs turbo's what type on boost control are you using?

do anyone of you use adjustable units are they worth it?

thanks

ashg

posted on 25/8/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i ran an apexi on my old car worked very well indeed.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

beaver34

posted on 25/8/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

is that the one that allows differnt boost levels in each gear? is it worth having something like that, or just fitting a manual adjuster in the cockpit and turning it up when you want to

tomgregory2000

posted on 25/8/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:

is that the one that allows differnt boost levels in each gear? is it worth having something like that, or just fitting a manual adjuster in the cockpit and turning it up when you want to

I have an apexi one on my sr20 as well and there are so many differet settings its crazy, yes different boost in different gears, 3 different fixed settings, scramble mode, and many more, just bloody expensive

beaver34

posted on 25/8/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:

I have an apexi one on my sr20 as well and there are so many differet settings its crazy, yes different boost in different gears, 3 different fixed settings, scramble mode, and many more, just bloody expensive

what kind of power has your engine got?

are they around £400? ive looked at that turbosmart e boost seems quite good too

tomgregory2000

posted on 25/8/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Its putting out 320ish at the mo, the limiting factor on my engine is the t28 turbo

the only thing i would say is that the unit is not waterproof

beaver34

posted on 25/8/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
Its putting out 320ish at the mo, the limiting factor on my engine is the t28 turbo

the only thing i would say is that the unit is not waterproof

thats sounds livley in a small car! what does it weigh? any traction issues? do you have a boost spike or is it quite steady

tomgregory2000

posted on 25/8/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Take your pic of these

ive got one of the black ones but it didnt cost me £500

i was interesing with the old tyres, 205 wide, 2 up it would spin up in first, second and third but i changed the wheels and tyres and am now running 275 kumo v70 trackday in med compound and only get a bit of spin in first when one up.

my car is about 700kg

Davegtst

posted on 25/8/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried loads over the years. Apexi was good but very sensitive and a bit tricky to set up. Blitz and HKS was very easy to use but basic. Some of the electronic ones are car specific though. If you want a manual one get a dawes devices, i had one in an MR2 and scooby and was highly impressed. Once they are set up (doesn't take long) they work just as good if not better than an electric one and it gave no spikes what so ever.

dawes devices

[Edited on 25/8/10 by Davegtst]

pekwah1

posted on 25/8/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think the main difference between an EBC (electronic boost controller) and an MBC (manual boost controller) is that an electronic one will give you a lot more control over the boost levels and is changeable dependant on what gear you are in.

An MBC can serve more than adequately though but does depend on you having a good boost gauge with decent hose to it so that you can accurately see what boost it is producing.

Should be able to pick up an EBC new from around £300 i think, an MBC is as little as £15

Strontium Dog

posted on 25/8/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
I've tried loads over the years. Apexi was good but very sensitive and a bit tricky to set up. Blitz and HKS was very easy to use but basic. Some of the electronic ones are car specific though. If you want a manual one get a dawes devices, i had one in an MR2 and scooby and was highly impressed. Once they are set up (doesn't take long) they work just as good if not better than an electric one and it gave no spikes what so ever.

dawes devices

[Edited on 25/8/10 by Davegtst]

Sorry and no offence meant but you just didn't have an electronic controller set up right then. With an electronic device (I use a Blitz dsbc) You can adjust the spool time. The solenoid keeps the waste gate closed longer than a mechanical device and gets you on boost quicker. With the Blitz I can set the spool quite high and then knock a programmable amount off at a set point to prevent over spool.

It's worth noting that an actuator will start to open at about half it's rating. Ie. a 1bar actuator starts to open the waste gate at around 0.5bar.

RazMan

posted on 25/8/10 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Chinese boost controller like this one and its very good - 3 years of use so far and no problems. It allows me to have 2 settings for wet and dry (and defaults to 'wet' when SWMBO borrows the car

[Edited on 25-8-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 25/8/10 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Been using a dawes style device on my GT4 for years, no problems at all. Totally removes pressure to the actuator below the crack pressure of the device, holding the wastegate tightly shut. Slight spiking possible but never saw more than 0.5psi max. I never saw the point in one you can adjust in-car personally, I have my car set up as I like it, at max boost, and live with it like that. I tuned it to be safe at that level, pushing it higher is possible but then it becomes a ticking timebomb, so why bother. Want less than max boost? Just use your right foot properly.
alistairolsen

posted on 26/8/10 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
The primary advantage of electronic boost control is the ability to map a boost curve, to hold off the harsh spool at low rpms and create a ore linear power curve better suited to a small lightweight car. An BC simply cannot do this.

My Build Thread

MikeRJ

posted on 26/8/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strontium DogThe solenoid keeps the waste gate closed longer than a mechanical device

I remain unconvinced that this is a good thing to be honest; even with a mechanical boost controller which holds the wastegate closed much longer than a simple bleed valve the rate of boost increase as the turbo spools is vicious (on my car anyway), on a lightweight car it would be a handful. What is the advantage of gaining 90% of the engines torque in a few hundred RPM?

westy turbo

posted on 26/8/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
AVCR for me too! great pic of kit,gear base boost or rpm boost controler,had it in my car,and now got the black one fitted in my westy,highly recomended!
atspeed racing

posted on 26/8/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
we use gizzmo boost controllers, on our own cars and customer cars with great success. the worlds fastest drag racing skyline has its boost controlled via gizzmo.

feature packed
reliable
SIMPLE TO USE!!
competitively priced.

the ms-ibc is suitable for up to 3.5bar boost, has 6 fully adjustable boost memories, adjsutabel duty, gain, overboost cut, spike control, and multi scramble options. also full closed loop/open loop boost control.

displays in kpa, bar and psi

real time boost gauge

these are £175 + vat.

GIZZMO MS-IBC HERE

also new to the gizzmo range is the ibc-R

which has the same features as the excellent ms-ibc, but also features rpm selectable duty, so you can bring the boost in smoother, or tail it off at higher rpm etc.

£TBA

we find the gizzmos very quick and easy to install and use, aprticularly when on the dyno and we are mapping. a boost increase is a fast simple task. unlike many other boost controllers (with instruction manuals exceeding 50+ pages!!) the gizzmo is a simple 2 button task that anyone can use and set up!!

- colin.

[Edited on 26/8/10 by atspeed racing]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
goaty

posted on 26/8/10 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I just fit a Gizmo to my S13, not ran it to test yet but seems impressive and only hear good things about it.
Seems easy enough to set up to me and its the first controller i've used.
Cheers

hicost

posted on 26/8/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Boost Control

Just upgraded to a Life Racing F88RS ECU boost is mapped throug the range and also it runs boost in gears. Overboost button on steering wheel and launch control.

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.