Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 'Quiet' BEC Exhaust
bonesetter

posted on 27/8/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
'Quiet' BEC Exhaust

ZX10R silencer search... to reduce noise from a 104dB drive by to 98dB or below, and at locost money

Summary of gleaned LCB's searching:

R1 can - efficient, quiet but restrictive and might not reduce noise enough

'1200' cans (ZX etc) single can on these bikes so are quieter. Can be eBay'd for ~£15

Custom 7" cans from MK or Car Builder Solutions ~£200

Question is will the '1200' cans do the job and reduce a noise reading from 104dB to 98...?

Thanks

ReMan

posted on 27/8/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have and R1 and a Bandit can as per my prev post. If you wanter really quiet it's the Bandit. R1 on my blade car measured at 98 db so right on your limit, but barely restrictive, as opposed to the bandit, much quieter, but does knok the wot power a bit
bonesetter

posted on 28/8/10 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I have and R1 and a Bandit can as per my prev post. If you wanter really quiet it's the Bandit. R1 on my blade car measured at 98 db so right on your limit, but barely restrictive, as opposed to the bandit, much quieter, but does knok the wot power a bit

I would like something I can fit and forget rather than have to change for TD's. So, the final solution seems the custom can...

Dangle_kt

posted on 28/8/10 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Get it made if Ali not stainless, it will be much quieter. An email to 907 on here might be a good idea.
GreigM

posted on 28/8/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
104 on drive-by is fairly loud - you must be about 108 static or so....

Exhuast noise isnt everything - on BECs indicution noise is a big issue for drive-by - do you have an airbox of some sort?

I already had an airbox, but I also enclosed the bonnet and airbox in sound deadening material and that added to a new silencer brought me down from 108db static to around 102db static and 100db drive-by. 98db is an ambitious target for a BEC.

bonesetter

posted on 29/8/10 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

The can I have is repackable, not sure it will make much difference putting more wadding in though...?

Grieg - I have an air box

Dangle - have PM'd Paul '907' Godderham to see what he can offer

[Edited on 29/8/10 by bonesetter]

bonesetter

posted on 31/8/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Un packed the can today to see what things were looking like and found some fiberglass looking hair.

I've been told this goes hard and brittle towards the middle but wondered how much difference a re-pack would make, or whether to just bite the bullet and buy one of Paul Gooderham's very nice looking customs...?

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 1/9/10 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
that can looks a little small tho if your wanting to reduce. you could go wider and a lot longer. size matters

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.