Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do i need to tell the bank if i'm goin on holiday
dan8400

posted on 3/9/10 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Do i need to tell the bank if i'm goin on holiday

Morning,

off to france a week on friday and i've never had a foreign holiday. So just wondered if i need to let the bank know because i'll be using my debit and credit cards...

EDIT: also do i need to let vodafone know. Already told car insurance people

Thanks

Dan

[Edited on 3/9/10 by dan8400]

Rek

posted on 3/9/10 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
My wife tried to use her credit card in spain and it was declined as it was "unusual activity" she called them and they unblocked it... so for peace of mind id say call them... dunno about the bank..

also remember roaming on your mobile must be enabled (if its not) before you travel as you cant do it once you are abroad with some carriers...

[Edited on 3/9/10 by Rek]

mad4x4

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I would but it doesn;t matter even if you DO tell them they do bugger all and stop you cards as "unusual activity" then you spend 2 days trying to get them to accept you are in Brazil working for a month, even though first transaction was Aberdeen Airport then London Airport then Sao Paulo Airport 14 hrs later GRRRR

Sorry to Rant.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

ReMan

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I did for a big Florida holiday when I knew my cards were going to take a pounding
dogwood

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I agree it's worth telling you're credit card Co
you are going abroad, to stop them putting a block on it for "Unusual activity"

They block mine all the bloody time..
And I live in France

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

dan__wright

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
i never have and have always been fine but when i was in the states with my boss on work one of his cards was declined so i guess it doesnt hurt

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

mds167

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Do tell them.
And make sure you have their contact numbers just in case your cards are stopped.
As has been said, telling them may not stop the automated security but some companies can suspend their checks.
Make sure you have a source of alternative emergency funds - cash or traveller's cheques.
The Foreign Office website has a section on travel and money.
If your cards are stopped, call them, make a note of the times, numbers of calls needed and cost (copies of bills) and lodge a complaint for compensation and costs - if there are no potentially fraudulent movements on your account, if feels like you've had your account rinsed by your own bank for no reason!

02GF74

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm ... never occured to me to tell my credit car .... spent thousands and thousands in various countries in the world and not had a problem ..... except for the one time I reach my limit, a phone call from USA upped it so was ok to spend spand spend.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Had an instance on a recent work trip to Manila where I got to the hotel (already booked) and when they tried to pre-authorise my AMEX card it refused, kept saying to ring the card services.

Eventually I had to, must have cost the company a few bob for a 20min call! (oh well ). Turns out they had done it to check it was a valid use of the card, because it had not been used in Manila before. PITA but better than it getting used illegally.

Like already said I would tell them to be on the safe side.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

BenB

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
It's a good idea. Natwest very kindly blocked my cards as soon as I tried using them abroad and I had to spend some £££ on telephone calls getting them unblocked.
Criddy

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
There is no way of stopping debit cards being blocked as its automated. However you are likely to have a number on the back of your debit card to call from abroad. A good bank will call you on your mobile if you've given them that number and ask you if you are using the card for that transaction. As for credit cards, always call and tell them where you are going, (USA, Mexico) wherever it may be and your travel dates as if your card has been cloned whilst on holiday it will stop those transactions as well
t.j.

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm, I never told the bank. IMO they don't have to know were i'm going to.
My cards are always useable for those countries as stated.

I think that is also a huge privacy issue.....

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

bigfoot4616

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
barclays have told me to let them know for my debit card.
this thread has just reminded me to go and do it

l0rd

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I never ever had any problems with my cards when i was abroad.

Last Xmas, for some reason i went to the bank and mentioned accidentally to them that i would be abroad as well and they requested the dates that i would be abroad so i wouldn't have any problems.

They also claimed, that if i don't notify them next time, my cards would be declined for the stated reason mentioned earlier.

r1_pete

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I've never told them, or credit cards and never had a problem, but, my cards are regularly used all over the world, work and hols.

If you do tell them, make sure you note who you told, and preferably get a call reference. Then, if you do have problems and spend ££££s sorting it, you have grounds to claim your costs back from them, as the unusual spend pattern was pre arranged.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Some cards charge extra for use abroad, check out whether yours does.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dan8400

posted on 3/9/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Off to the bank to sort it with a human i can see

Thank you

Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

speedyxjs

posted on 3/9/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I spent over £3k on my card on holiday in Norway and Switzerland and never had any trouble with the bank.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

adithorp

posted on 3/9/10 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've had mine stopped once for "unusual usage" when I had told them I was going. However I've never bothered to tell them since.

What I did find out when it happened though was, there's an overseas freephone number on the back to use if it happens.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

panichat

posted on 3/9/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
YES

Tell the bank and get the 24 hour number that you should call to sort out problems.
I spent 4 days in Amritsar living off 50p a day until my wife wired me some funds because the bank decided I was not me!
I was really lucky that it happened in India where 50p a day is quite do-able rather than Paris where it would not buy you a glass of water!
Dave

bowood14

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I told my credit card Company when I went to Australia ony own a couple of years ago. I had no problems until I hired a fat boy harley and they wanted £2000 deposit The credit card called my wife in England as its joint names she had a heart attack thought I was buying a Harley to bring home!!!!! all worked out in the end, enjoyed two days hire of the bike around the blue mountains

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.