Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: When is an engine a 'Race' engine?
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 4/9/10 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
When is an engine a 'Race' engine?

I have been offered an R1 engine which was a tuned race engine.
Does anyone know how these engines are for a BEC?
Are they more prone to go bang, or are they much stronger internals (or weaker).
What does tuning them involve?
Cheers
Ed

grub

posted on 4/9/10 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
fragile i would say depends how tuned though
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 4/9/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure yet, will ring the tuner monday.
It has about 30 BHP over stock with an akrapovic exhaust and powercommander 3, a 5VY engine.

Ivan

posted on 4/9/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what it was tuned for - a proper race engine with very hot cams would be almost undriveable on the street with almost no torque below something like 6000 revs or whatever is normal for bike race engines.

If the tuning just took place in the inlet manifold, resonance box and exhaust system and not with the cams then it should be ok for road use with some compromises at low revs.

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 4/9/10 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
It was built by Aim Yamaha racing for the northwest 200 for Steve Plater to ride in 2005 and has been refreshed by Bob Farnham racing recently, so I guess it is a full race jobbie with cams etc.
Oh well!

franky

posted on 4/9/10 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
to be honest you'd see more than 30bhp from a 'race' engine, a full system/powercommander and a proper rolling road session should see 15-20bhp at the wheel. a 2002 ish r1 with some head work/cams and the above would see about 30-35bhp more and be fairly reliable.
interestedparty

posted on 4/9/10 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
The definition is simple, a race engine is not designed to operate at part-throttle, full power only.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

spdpug98

posted on 4/9/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have a race engine in my MNR built by Graham Barrow.

Mine has differant cams and has lots of head work, both block and head skimmed with a fully balanced bottom end etc. Puts out around 30 bhp more than a standard 2003 R1, the only thing I worry about is the cost of getting one rebuilt to the same spec if it does go bang!

ETA: The reason it is a race engine is that it was built to go in a race bike, but you could just call it a modified engine if you wanted

[Edited on 4/9/10 by spdpug98]

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 4/9/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all,
I will try and talk to the builders and tuner!

snapper

posted on 4/9/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I am not a BEC owner however "Race engine" usually means undrivable below quite high revs then all he'll breaks loose, fantastic for track days but a real every day pain on the road, in a CEC (light) I love rally spec engines
Best of both worlds IMHO

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

franky

posted on 4/9/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
if its been built for the northwest then it'll not be as tuned as a short circuit motor and will be designed to drive from low revs, might be a good buy depending on price.

If its a proper jobbie ring the tuner and they'll tell you what spec etc it is.

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/9/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Its all in the details.

I have a couple of ex-sidecar engines that I bought very cheap. Allegedly both ran, but one had bits of valve embedded in the pistons, and the other had a blown head gasket.

But as kits of parts they had all the bits, big valves, heavily ported head, bits of titanium, over-bored barrels, forged pistons, clever trigger wheels, fancy cams, crankshafts with all the counter weights ground off!

In my case starting isn't great but it can cruise at 3k and with EFI it goes well (I am using more fuel than the gsxr1000 injectors can supply!). My guess is that the idea of engines that only work flat out, are from carb days where it isn't as easy to set them up across the whole rev range.

Fragile? it depends on the bits.

I'd go for it, you only live once. Once you have gone BEC, why not go the whole way. The only downside is you won't be eligible for RGB (which requires stock engine).

Matt

p.s. first check that your split rims are bolted together properly!!

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 4/9/10 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
From what I know of bike race engines is that they are built to last 'the distance'.

The bores are certainly not upto par with a road item, so it will certainly chew some oil.

Bottom end will be pared down to as light as they can get away with. Rods should have been machined, balanced and peened.

Cams will be long duration with high lift. The high lift will be VERY high, so they will not have a long lifespan - expect a lobe to shear off when they go.

Titanium retainers are light and have a <5k mile shelf life.

However...

The port polish, valve seat grind should be very useful

As for unning at full throttle?

Rubbish.

Race engine will need to work at all levels of throttle and be uber smooth too.

Just expect them not to run particularly well below 4krpm.

It's up to you what you do of course.

The enigne could be a tuned engine that was used in a racing bike, instead of a 'Race engine'.

Either way, i'd strip it and check what has been done.

RIE

posted on 5/9/10 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
As said it all depends on level of tune. It will be very high maintenance - budget for a full refresh every 1000miles (what I understand to be recommended for superstock- or supersport-tuned trackbikes).

I disagree that it won't run well below 4K - it probably won't run well under 8K. My (standard road) R1 doesn't wake up til 7K anyway, and highly tuned race engines sometimes won't idle at less than 3K.

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 5/9/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
p.s. first check that your split rims are bolted together properly!!

Ha ha! It only happened once!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/9/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
One man's 'Race' is anothers 'Refreshed'.

If a 'Race' bike engine worries anyone with a 'driveability' issue, then they really need to get a Zetec. They really do.

OK, so to answer the question. A 'Race' engine will be very expensive to repair to it's 'Race' specification if it goes bang. A 'Race' engine WILL go bang, period. The margins the original manufacturer intended are all gone, they've been extended by the fitment of aftermarket items, and then those margins are removed.

So let's look at one of my exploding GSXR engines - the stroker crank (billet) is a good £2K, the oversize pistons and Carillo rods the same, the head work, valves, cams etc. etc., block pinning and all that is frightening. The gearbox has to be strengthened (Nova), yadda, yadda.... but it all goes well over 200 Bhp, sometimes it survives a few events.

OR...

Buy a good standard engine and enjoy 160 Bhp for a long time.

coyoteboy

posted on 9/9/10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The definition is simple, a race engine is not designed to operate at part-throttle, full power only.

That's controversial, are you suggesting that in race situations you're either on the throttle expecting max power, or not, expecting none?

gixermark

posted on 9/9/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That's controversial, are you suggesting that in race situations you're either on the throttle expecting max power, or not, expecting none?

what is this 'part throttle' thing people talk about !! ??

interestedparty

posted on 9/9/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket_Rabbit

Rubbish.

I'm interested, when abouts during a race would you want anything less than full throttle, I thought the idea with racing was to go as fact as you could? (except when braking, of course)

iank

posted on 9/9/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Many years ago I went for an interview at a company that supplied F1 with datalogging equipment and was shown a graph.

Accelerator position was a square wave (from Mika Hakkinen iirc) and I was told the drivers got a telling off if it wasn't because it meant they weren't trying hard enough.

YMMV, they may have been telling me porkies, F1 requirements will probably not match anything you can afford etc.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

adithorp

posted on 9/9/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
quote:

Rubbish.

I'm interested, when abouts during a race would you want anything less than full throttle, I thought the idea with racing was to go as fact as you could? (except when braking, of course)

Whenever you want to stay on it. Just just going WOT and you'll soon be on your arse I'd have thought.

How come it's got a power commander? I thought the race bikes were running fully programable ECUs.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

interestedparty

posted on 9/9/10 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
quote:

Rubbish.

Whenever you want to stay on it. Just just going WOT and you'll soon be on your arse I'd have thought.

What's that based on? I thought the idea was to go as fast as you could until you have to slow down for a corner, whereupon you brake, and then when you have slowed down enough you start accelerating again?

40inches

posted on 9/9/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
The throttle isn't a switch! It sometimes rains, then you need a delicate right hand and feed the power on smoothly, and in the dry the same applies coming out of slow hairpin bends, Mallory and Cadwell Club to name two. It's a real pain in the aris if you don't, it really is
Although race prepped engines have a narrow power band, they still need some flexibility, whether enough for road use depends on the individual engine. Just an opinion of course

progers

posted on 10/9/10 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

What's that based on? I thought the idea was to go as fast as you could until you have to slow down for a corner, whereupon you brake, and then when you have slowed down enough you start accelerating again?

Based on experience of racing I can assure you if all you do is brake and use WOT you will crash and hurt yourself. There are many instances where traction is such that throttle control is very important to both a fast lap time and staying on the circuit.....

It is true that much of a lap can see you on WOT (upto 60-70%) but that depends on how many corners there are on a circuit and how powerful your car is.

- Paul

adithorp

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
quote:

Based on experience of racing I can assure you if all you do is brake and use WOT you will crash and hurt yourself. There are many instances where traction is such that throttle control is very important to both a fast lap time and staying on the circuit.....

It is true that much of a lap can see you on WOT (upto 60-70%) but that depends on how many corners there are on a circuit and how powerful your car is.

- Paul

...and thats in a car. This is a race tuned bike engine so the drivability discussion is about how it would be in a bike.
In either case you want an engine where the power/responce is smooth as you feed the throttle in. Just giving it full throttle will result in either exiting the saddle off the back or visiting the scenery, backwards depending on whether your on a bike or in a car.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.