Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra propshaft UJ running angles
tony-devon

posted on 6/9/10 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
sierra propshaft UJ running angles

Greetings, I know that in an ideal world things would be run as damn near straight as possible

well!! my garage isnt an ideal world, and I wasnt prepared to make sacrifices in the way of sitting a diff 3" to the left just to make the props life easier LOL

what I am trying to find out is what is the max/safe running angle of the UJ on a sierra propshaft?

I have already had to alter the jog and move engine another 100mm away from the diff to get it somewhere near to where I reckon it will be ok, but as I cant get a propshaft at the moment, Im relying on luck mainly

so anyone that can help with specs for the joint?? would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Tony

[Edited on 6/9/10 by tony-devon]

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnemms

posted on 6/9/10 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
A big factor that i discovered on here (also an obvious one) was that the gearbox flange and the diff flange must be square and run parellel to each other..

If not it will shake the car to bits..

Some one will give a better explanation in a bit or put a link to the old topic.

Doofus

posted on 6/9/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I ran the rear UJ dead straight on my old car for 5000 miles and it wore the bearings so they went notchy, because there was no articulation. A small angle should prevent this.
tony-devon

posted on 6/9/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
thanks, yes running them dead straight will flat spot the bearings

my problem is that although the offset of the diff to gearbox flange isnt huge, I want the propshaft as short as possible

Im not prepared to do as others have in this style of build and move the diff to one side, then you go unequal length shafts, preload wound up more on one side etc etc, besides that, when sat behind it, it looks gash! LOL

things sit on the centreline or in the bin as far as Im concerned.

so Im having to let the maximum safe working angles of the UJ's define the length of the propshaft and therefore the setup of my jig

as a slight aside, I see a few front propshafts on ebay, and being shorter people are willing to ship them, does anyone know if the UJ flange will mate up with a rear diff?

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trikerneil

posted on 6/9/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am running approximately 4-1/2" offset and an 18" propshaft on my Trike.
The UJs look to be almost at the limit of their articulation but seem OK over approx 5000 miles, I only have 90 BHP to play with though.

As said before you must get the flanges parallel in both planes.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.