Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX10R Oil Level
bonesetter

posted on 6/9/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
ZX10R Oil Level

Aplogies if this has done before but the search didn't bring much up...

When should you check the level - warm or completely cold?

My level is as the pic below when completely cold, but when warm drops to the minimum

What should I do?

Cheers

carpmart

posted on 6/9/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Are you referring to when its warm, or when its running?

When its warm and been off for 1 few mins or hen cold and not run, the level will be the same!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Johneturbo

posted on 6/9/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
When cold, so the oil is in the sump
mac1ZR

posted on 6/9/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
When Cold
bonesetter

posted on 6/9/10 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, looks like I was good all along...

Mac1zr - you sold yours yet?

mac1ZR

posted on 6/9/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
not yet Nigel.
bonesetter

posted on 6/9/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mac1ZR
not yet Nigel.

I'm presuming the build is the same standard as mine as it's from the same stable, so someone will have a good car there...

Mine is still mocking & laughing my pathetic attempts to get the most out of it. I think I've glimpsed its capabilities on a couple of occasions so far, so lots more fun to come

[Edited on 6/9/10 by bonesetter]

progers

posted on 6/9/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Level

What you are doing is probably correct for a bike but in my experience of BECs you typically need to add quite a bit more.....

R1's typically want oil at the max in the oil window when idling. GSXR's need top of the window at 3000rpm etc i.e all bike engines need some level of overfill Vs standard bike application.

I would consult with some people who race with this engine either in sidecars or Bike engined car applications. Through experience and a few engine blow-ups someone will have found what the right oil level is. I would bet a large amount of money that top of the sightglass when cold is too little.

I will check with a colleague of mine who races a ZX10 in RGB and get back to you

Cheers

Paul

bonesetter

posted on 6/9/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Great input, thanks. This is exactly what crossed my mind, as yesterday when I drove the car onto a flat surface (a few yards) to check the level and then left the engine a couple of minutes whilst taking off the bonnet and getting a flip mirror out the level was at minimum. The difference to the level in the pic is what I guess to be about a litre floating around in the oil patways, engine, and filter.

As the filter is horizontal wouldn't this oil fall back into the sump too when left standing for a day or so too...?

I would hate to overfill an engine like this, but I was tempted to put an extra half pint or so in

[Edited on 6/9/10 by bonesetter]

progers

posted on 6/9/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've just checked with a friend who races with a ZX10 RGB car (06-07 model). Looks like I will have to eat my words...

He has found that the ZX10 doesn't like overfilling too much and that the best level is around 3/4 up the sight glass when the engine has been stopped for 15-20 mins. You can put more in but they tend to spit it out if too full.

FYI - he runs a billet sump which slightly increases the amount of oil in the engine - it takes around 4 litres for an oil change Vs 3.8 for standard. So in effect its running with a slight overfill.

Cheers

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.