Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Open University
Simon

posted on 12/9/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Open University

Ok, I'm now 44 and in a job I love so won't be changing (ever). The car is built though the extension ain't but hey ho.

I have a thing about space (the big blackish thing that's the sky when the sun's gone down), the stars and the universe in general, so have started looking into an OU degree course (looks like it'll be the "Physics and Astronomy" courses for me).

It will be purely for fun and personal fulfilment rather than to get me a job at NASA (though the cost may take some of the fun out of it).

Have any of you "been there, done that" and what was your experince of the ou like, would you do it again etc etc.

I know it's quite a big financial and time consuming commitment and if I start, I'll have to finish, so will it be worth it?

Cheers very much

ATB

Simon

whitestu

posted on 12/9/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I did an MSc while working full time and it is hard work.

Worth doing in my opinion though.

Space is fascinating, though given you said "I'm now 44 and in a job I love so won't be changing (ever)."

I'm more interested in what your job is!

Stu

franky

posted on 12/9/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've done 2 years of it, when I was still in the forces. They are good and the 'summer school' weeks are great fun from a social point of view too. I couldn't decide what I wanted to to so did a year of art history and a year of engineering in the future.

Its the best reason ever why I didn't finish...... A small war in the middle east

It wouldn't hurt to try doing a year and see how you get on. you've got nothing to loose as you'll learn something even if you don't finish.

chrsgrain

posted on 12/9/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've done the first 2 years of a degree with the OU, and then decided that full time study was more my style, so did a PhD. Its good, though the first year is very general and may include bits you aren't that intersted in, but does give you a good grounding. The amount of time they say it takes I think is the maximum time, I spent about a third to maybe half the time they said and it was fine....

Give it a go, almost eveyone enjoys it.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

nick205

posted on 12/9/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've done 3 years OU study starting in environment at level 1 and moving onto product design and innovation in levels 2 & 3 to accrue a level 2 diploma. I stopped when we started having kids, but hope to return to complete a degree and maybe masters in the future.

I was very fortunate that my boss/employer viewed continued learning and education very positively and were willing to fund the courses - the fees wouldn't have put me off though.

If you have the time and an interest area then go for it, you never regret learning. Some courses also included a week long residential element, usually held at universities during the summer break. Excellent events where you'll meet absolutely all sorts from 16 to 79 was the oldest I met. Great concentrated learning and I always felt really refreshed coming back to work afterwards.

meany

posted on 12/9/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this,i think you'll like it.
This is run by my ex-boss who is just mad on the subject

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Planet-Earth-Education-Mobile-Stars-Planetarium/316550651998?ref=mf

nick205

posted on 12/9/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
I did an MSc while working full time and it is hard work.

Worth doing in my opinion though.

Space is fascinating, though given you said "I'm now 44 and in a job I love so won't be changing (ever)."

Stu

He's either a test driver at Lambo or a front line product developer for Wonderbra

meany

posted on 12/9/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meany
Have a look at this,i think you'll like it.
This is run by my ex-boss who is just mad on the subject

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Planet-Earth-Education-Mobile-Stars-Planetarium/316550651998?ref=mf

just adding the link to his website.

http://www.theplanetearthcentre.btinternet.co.uk/

Humbug

posted on 12/9/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
SWMBO (age: north of 20 ) didn't go to uni at the usual age and is currently in the final year of an OU Law degree. She has enjoyed most of it, though it has been hard work, particularly getting back into studying X years after leaving school. She's not sure if she will be able to get a related job afterwards and it's costly and virtually impossible to become a solicitor these days given the competition, but it will have been worth it for the personal achievement.

As above, go for it: worst case, you do a year and find it's not for you, but the potential upside is great

David Jenkins

posted on 12/9/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I did an OU computer science MSc a few years back - very hard work, but I think it helped when I was job hunting a while later.

I didn't have a BSc degree, but they let me on the course due to decades of work experience and some trade qualifications.

[Edited on 12/9/10 by David Jenkins]

Simon

posted on 12/9/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu

Stu

This is us:

http://www.livingstoneartfounders.com/

Apologies for the incomplete site! We cast works of art in bronze.

Cheers for the replies chaps! Just done the "Are your ready for course....." test on their site. From my results, not a hope in hell at the mo

ATB

Simon

v8kid

posted on 12/9/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I found OU to be the most inclusive in that they do not discriminate on age grounds unlike all the other universities I approached.

They are also highly flexible allowing you to mix and match subjects - In my case mechanical engineering, maths, design and innovation with a bit of business study thrown in.

However there are drawbacks and most professional institutions do not recognise the OU degree although that is gradually changing now.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 13/9/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I think that you'll find that OU degrees are accepted by ANY company and institution that has a grasp of academic issues. This is for several reasons:

1. Every university in the UK gets assessed and graded into a league table - last time I looked the OU was 7th in the list (out of hundreds).

2. Most employers/institutions know how much effort goes into getting an OU degree while trying to hold down a job - the two together means that an OU student has to work much, much harder than a regular full-time student.

3. Many OU students are older and have some experience of the real world. This, plus a degree, can make you far more employable than a student who went straight from school to uni.

Mind you - the degree has to be 'conventional' and relevant to the job!

[Edited on 13/9/10 by David Jenkins]

Ninehigh

posted on 13/9/10 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
I found OU to be the most inclusive in that they do not discriminate on age grounds unlike all the other universities I approached.

I'd like to think it's more because they don't want you to be old enough to be most of the student's parent/grandparent..

irvined

posted on 13/9/10 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Currently working my way through an OU degree. Most of the courses have been pretty good so far.

Like most things you only get out what you put in. It can be hard work though, deadlines are usually fair but do require some degree of willpower to meet them.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

v8kid

posted on 13/9/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Professional engineering institutions don't accept OU degrees.

Of the institutions that do accept them, one profession has a 50% absentee rate at final examinations which speaks volumes.

Having said that I am immensely proud of my OU degree for me it was a huge achievement at a challenging time in my life but I am under no illusion that the established institutions look down on it.

In a previous life I used to recruit engineering graduated for blue chip companies and was appalled at the general lack of understanding and commitment.

In response to technical questioning it was not uncommon for students to say they could not answer 'cos they did that subject last year!!! Since I can remember all of my HND and that was 35 years ago you can imagine it did not go down well.

However other ex students I know that have studied in their own time or at evening classes do retain the knowledge. Currently I am brushing up on my CAD skills at evening classes one evening a week and our tutors are confident we will achieve hnc level in 1 session and to a better standard than day students simply due to commitment.

Nonetheless the fact is that the "established" full time routes to qualifications are perceived to be better and if you intend to use the degree as a stepping stone you need to recognise this.

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 13/9/10 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Long Post, sorry.

I went to Uni late in my twenties. Started part time for the first year, but once I got going full time, there was no stopping me! I worked in the summers, and my wife was a teacher, so I had no money worries really.

I would advise to start with a couple of courses, and see how you do. It is VERY hard at the beginning, as you won't be used to the pace and reading required (probably!).

You can't go wrong with taking courses on subjects of interest. Keep in mind to get any sort of diploma you need to take stuff that isn't that interesting but serves a long term purpose. Keep the goal in mind at all times, but concentrate on one assignment at a time. Get any help offered. DO IT!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.