Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAD software
tony-devon

posted on 13/9/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
CAD software

I am heavily into RC models of all sorts and recently decided that I would like to make the leap into making more bits myself and ideally the easy way I have seen CNC engraver/routers etc online, but my biggest hurdle is that I have never done anywork with CAD software

SO....

is it that hard that I shouldnt bother? or can you teach an old dog new tricks

Im looking for a suitable ideally fairly simple and cheap piece of software to start out with, initially I want to be able to draw up my parts and then take the file to a local engineering company to get them to cut it out for me, so I can see if I have got it right, and also to just get me into the swing of it

do any of the programmes actually allow you to "see" what you will produce with that drawing, so at least I can see if it looks right LOL, back in college I did some CNC programming, and more than once right at the last minute the tool would run right across the job LOL, this was very simple shapes etc, you programmed the machine, not via a computer?

I would also prefer it if the software was a popular one, ie probably able to get a dummies guide book for it

work initially will be limited to just routing out from sheets of 2mm, 3mm carbon fibre

I got a full version of dreamweaver years back and after playing with it and reading a few books etc I produced a few good working websites with frames etc, so Im not a total idiot, just about 97% there, but Im working on finding that last 5%

[Edited on 13/9/10 by tony-devon]

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 13/9/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Solidworks is a good program as it lets you connect parts and move them about even in 3D.
The downside is the cost, unless you can download a torrent copy (I'm not suggesting you do this! )

eddie99

posted on 13/9/10 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for solidworks, if you put in the time and effort and want to do it... Then im pretty sure anyone can get decent on solidworks!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
balidey

posted on 13/9/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I use SolidWorks, have done for over 11 years now. Its bloody fantastic. BUT and its a big but. For what you want to do its overkill. Making parts for your own RC car? Well then a sheet of CF and a dremel will be perfect. Draw what you want on good paper and cut round it.
I can justify the 8 grand cost of SW as the vehicles I design are about £20,000 plus.

Also, using 3D cad is one thing, then getting the file output onto a CNC machine is another big step. Personally I wouldn't bother. Thats not saying don't learn CAD, just not for making some model parts.

Hope you see my point there?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

balidey

posted on 13/9/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Also, if you do go this route then you don't need 3D CAD. Routing uses 2D profiles, so any of the free 2D cad packages will be all you need.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

tony-devon

posted on 13/9/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi yes thanks for the advice, you are of course correct, I only need 2D, 3D would be great but well beyond my understanding

I often make parts and then want to change it slightly, or mates see it and want one etc, the ability to change it, then make one from cheap acrylic sheet to check for geometry and physical fit etc would be great

oh and of course, its a gadget

will find some 2d cad software and have a play then

my naive understanding was that with the correct software I could draw the part, then it would do the "coding" bit for having it cut out.

thanks for taking the time to trply guys, I need to think it through a little more and have a play with some software methinks!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 13/9/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I use Q-cad for 2D work. It's very cheap (£25) but capable enough and you can get a book. Produces dxf files which everyone will be able to use.

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

wescottishmatt

posted on 13/9/10 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the 3D solidworks but if its just 2D you're after try the freebie downlaod 'DraftSight' from the Solidworks website. (Very similar to the older Autocad software)

Have a look in my Photo Archive. There's a few Solidworks images I did before I began the real build. Did it for the colour options and decals.

[Edited on 13/9/10 by wescottishmatt]

brianthemagical

posted on 13/9/10 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
By the sounds of it, one reason you want to use CAD is because you can, in which case i'd be looking at 3D. It is pretty cool when drawing 3D parts. Even if it's just a 3m plate. You can then produce a 2D drawing, print it to scale and trace around it. If they're simple parts then you may even be able to take it to someone who can manually input it into a CNC machine, or manually cut it.
It is possible to produce the commands for CNC from CAD files, you may need an add-in or, maybe just save it as a DXF.

Another vote for SW, you'll have to find somewhere to download it though.

trextr7monkey

posted on 13/9/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Roland produce some 3d software which by modern standards is very clunky but it is easyto operate and it does work with their machines- think of it as deep engraving, have a look on their webside for 3d design , they also do a 2d design programme (aptly called 2 d design )which is handy for vinyl cutting

hope this helps
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Mix

posted on 13/9/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I've been using TurboCad for a few years now as a hobby - used it for the ongoing Locost and for numerous woodturning / work projects. Fairly easy to get to grips with and very good value, IMO, when compared to the professional packages. You can get the Deluxe version 14 with a training DVD from Amazon for £23 at the moment. Exports to all the normal formats.

Regards Mick

Forgot to say you can download free 30 day trial versions from the Avanquest website.

[Edited on 13/9/10 by Mix]

tony-devon

posted on 13/9/10 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
thanks, made a note of all them programmes and will look into them

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.