Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Line Perished..
stevebubs

posted on 14/9/10 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Line Perished..

I've a reasonably long (12 inches or so) braided fuel line forming the return from my fuel rail back to the swirl pot.

It's got a reasonably big curve in it (needs to turn through 180 degrees to go back from the front of the engine back towards the swirl pot) and it's sprung a leak...

Suggestions on a) why this has happened
b) how to avoid it happening again

don't really want to plumb a copper / kunifer line right the way to the front of the engine, but will if I have to....

stevebubs

posted on 14/9/10 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just noticed - you can see it in the picture

<------Here

ReMan

posted on 15/9/10 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Poor quality hose, http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=115347
stevebubs

posted on 15/9/10 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure it was either from Think Auto or Merlin...

Reading that thread, I think I might pull all the braided hose off and replace with something I can visually inspect....

Tintops don't have this problem...what's different?

stevebubs

posted on 15/9/10 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
OK..Question for the rest of the experts now...

Fluorosilicone Lined Fuel/Oil Hose

Is it suitable for use in a (high pressure) Fuel Delivery system? What standards should it have to meet?

[Edited on 15/9/10 by stevebubs]

snapper

posted on 15/9/10 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
If it's not injection rated hose get it off NOW.
Most of the braided stuff is only rated for a few psi unless stated, alright for carb pressures but several bar and all that's stopping it from bursting is the braiding.
Don't forget the fuel tank, pump and swirl pot pipes.
Replace with injection hose from halfrauds, for IVA so they can see the markings on the hose then cover in overbraid after IVA

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

clairetoo

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
I use ordinary rubber fuel hose for two good reasons - it's cheap as chips , and can be replaced in minutes
I've got a big coil of it hanging in the garage if you need some ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

jeffw

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
I use this stuff without an issue. Note the minimum bend radius.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-MSA-Rally-Teflon-Stainless-Braided-Fuel-Hose-6m-/150368124997?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2302a38045 />
You will need fittings for the teflon hose as well.

[Edited on 15/9/10 by jeffw]

MakeEverything

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I use ordinary rubber fuel hose for two good reasons - it's cheap as chips , and can be replaced in minutes

THREE good reasons. The third being, that you can SEE when and where it has perished.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

BenB

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

THREE good reasons. The third being, that you can SEE when and where it has perished.

Yup. Braided hose looks nice but if it's really just covering up knackered old fuel line is that a good thing or a bad thing? 2.5bar of RON95 pissing all over a red hot engine probably would be classed as "not a good thing"

iank

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Tintops don't have this problem...what's different?

The big car companies buy in large quantities direct from reputable manufacturing companies that know they will be sued out of business if it starts springing a leak on a regular basis.

One way to guarantee the same level of quality is to find a modern(ish) tintop that has the length you need and buy it from a main dealer? Not a cheap way to do it though. Or get from the scrapyard from a crashed car - cheaper but more of a pain.

[Edited on 15/9/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

stevebubs

posted on 15/9/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
It's the proper stuff and sold as suitable for injection. The fuel system was an area I didn't scrimp on precisely for this reason.

Claire - thanks for the offer (again), but rubber injection hose is pretty cheap so I'll probably just pick a couple of metres up from a local autofactors...unless someone can point out some "blingy" stuff that doesn't have braid and is hence inspectable....hence my question about fluorolined silicon...

stevebubs

posted on 15/9/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
2.5bar of RON95 pissing all over a red hot engine probably would be classed as "not a good thing"

Ditto - I'm just glad I noticed when I turned the ignition on with the bonnet up. If the bonnet had been down, I probably wouldn't have noticed for a while...probably until the car caught light...

iank

posted on 15/9/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
It's the proper stuff and sold as suitable for injection. The fuel system was an area I didn't scrimp on precisely for this reason.

There have been many reports of fuel hose sold as suitable for petrol that has gone bad and perished. Not injection hose (AFAIKR) but I'd be cautious of cheap hose if I couldn't track the manufacturer down, given the impact of it failing.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

stevebubs

posted on 15/9/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
This wasn't particularly cheap and was procured from what should be a reputable supplier...
fatbaldbloke

posted on 17/9/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've experienced fuel hose that I bought from a local factor perishing, it's not that uncommon. There seems to be a lot of dubious stuff around. Anyway, best that I've bought for the high pressure injection circuit was from Car Builder Solutions. Been on for nearly 3 years now and with some tight curves, and not a sign of wear and tear. As said previously avoid braided, it only serves to hide any potential splits.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.