Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hayabusa first crank problems
Davegtst

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hayabusa first crank problems

Got the oil cooler all plumbed in, filled up with oil and went to crank it using the starter wire and earth lead to a battery pack. The starter just spins but won't turn the engine. It's in neutral, any ideas?
cosmick

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like you have connected the battery pack up back to front. if you did, the one way clutch will simply disengage.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

Davegtst

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
nope it is definatly the right way round.
cosmick

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
then you need to check the one way starter clutch. try removing the inspection cover from the starter cover and turn the crank backwards. In this direction, the starter should be heard turning with the engine. rotating the crank forwards should hear nothing. if you can rotate the crank in both directions and you can't hear the starter clutch turning the starter motor, then you have a one way clutch issue.

chunky2772

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
davegtst! this bloke knows his stuff he sorted my electrical problem out yesterday i done everything he said and he fixed my problem. if you try what he sugests im sure he,ll sort your problem to he,s very helpfull!
Davegtst

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've removed the inspection cover to find half a tooth missing on the large reduction gear that meshes with the gear on the end of the starter. Put it all back together and now it does crank the engine but i'm worried about the half broken tooth.
cosmick

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
What year is your engine.

Davegtst

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I was sold it as a 2002 but i'm certain it's a 2001.
chunky2772

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
i would replace that mesh gear mate i wouldent take the risk off it knocking anymore teeth off that gear as the brocken bits could end up falling inside the engine.

[Edited on 24/9/10 by chunky2772]

cosmick

posted on 24/9/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
OK.

Engines prior to 2003 could suffer with a starter issue. Usually caused by a low battery, the engine could backfire whilst being started. This could cause serious damage to the starter gear or in the worst case break the crankcases. You must check this out. Do not try to run the engine with this tooth broken.
There is a modification that you can do to fit an anti kickback clutch without having to buy a new starter motor. Check out Big CC online. They sell a kit and so do TTS and I think SBD. All of these kits will protect the crankcase against backfire but more importantly, if you spin the car and go backwards, the starter clutch can destroy the starter. Using this kit will protect the starter as well.

[Edited on 24/9/10 by cosmick]

Davegtst

posted on 24/9/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
You mean this? sprag starter

I've spent so much on this motor already another £220 is getting a bit much. Think i'll have a word with Yorkshire engines on Monday and see what they have to say about the missing tooth. According to their site they gave me a 'realistic warrenty' with this engine, i'd call a broken tooth realistic.

cosmick

posted on 24/9/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that is the item from Big CC.

If you bought the engine from Malc then he should look after you. If this is the first time you have cranked the engine, then tell him what you have found. I would take the cover off this weekend and remove the damaged parts. If you could photograph the damage, I would be interested to see it.
Anyway, we seem to have found the problem and hopefully, it can be fixed va Malc.

Chet

posted on 25/9/10 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
Strongly suggest you update to the 2003 and later factory starting system, anything else is simply a band aid on the problem.
The earlier systems will definitely self destruct the first time you spin the car.

Chet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
call nova racing direct as that's who everyone buys the parts from to sell on like extreme engines/big CC.
Davegtst

posted on 11/10/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted now. The broken reduction gear was replaced but it turned out the main fault was a faulty starter sprag clutch. Malc sent both parts to me and now it cranks as it should. Can't recomend Yorkshire Engines highly enough, thanks Malc.
dilley

posted on 14/11/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I just thought I would continue this post by asking if there is anyway to identify the later type starter from the early one? I tink Malc supplied me with a later starter on a 2001 but I am not sure??
cosmick

posted on 14/11/10 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Part Number for 99 starter motor is 31100-24F00 which then superseded to 24F01. 03 models onwards were fitted with 31100-24F10.
I think the part nos are written on the starter or at least the last part of the number. Hope this helps.

dilley

posted on 14/11/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Cosmick, you truly are a wealth of information! I am fitting a sump baffle and wondered if you knew the main end bearing bolt torque settings?
cosmick

posted on 14/11/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry dilley you have lost me there. Are you tightening the main bearing bolts i.e. the large dia crankcase bolts either side of the crankshaft or Big end caps inside the engine. If you are fitting a baffle in the sump, you shouldn't need to undo any big end or mainbearing bolts.

dilley

posted on 14/11/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
The baffle has come from extreme engines, and from what I can make of it fits under the 3 crankshaft retaining bolts that can be seen with the sump removed. I'm not keeen on removing them them to do this as I do not like to disturb things that don't need to be disturbed!
cosmick

posted on 14/11/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
OK. Check out the thread size of the bolts and follow the chart below

6mm Initial 6NM Final 11NM
8mm 13NM 26NM
9mm 18NM 32NM
10mm 28NM 50NM

cosmick

dilley

posted on 14/11/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again!
mad-butcher

posted on 15/11/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
And by fitting that sump baffle my friend you will invalidate any warranty with malc, try saying the mains are rumbling and my answer would be well you loosened the mains bolts.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dilley

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well, its a good job I did really as the clutch bolts were hand tight.
dilley

posted on 16/11/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ans exactly how do you think this will affect the engine?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.