Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: outstanding finance
55ant

posted on 28/9/10 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
outstanding finance

Hello all,

My Dad bought a van in 2008 from a private dealership, now he's come to sell the van and has discovered it has outstanding finace on it dating 2007.

does he have any right to claimn the money from the dealership or is it bad luck

im not sure of the amount.

Cheers, Anthony.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

GMPMotorsport

posted on 28/9/10 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 55ant
Hello all,

My Dad bought a van in 2008 from a private dealership, now he's come to sell the van and has discovered it has outstanding finace on it dating 2007.

does he have any right to claimn the money from the dealership or is it bad luck

im not sure of the amount.

Cheers, Anthony.

Surely if it was that long ago the finance company would have been after the van/him before now?

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 28/9/10 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing its an admin error and that it HAD outstanding finance and that the HPI database (or whatever it is) hasn't been updated. This does happen. Best thing to do is speak to the finance company. This will tell you for certain one way or the other. And it will then give you evidence to go back to the dealer with if money is owed.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

55ant

posted on 28/9/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
we cant find out who the finance company is as the HPI people wont tell us as the finance isnt in my dads name? does this sound wrong?

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

r1_pete

posted on 28/9/10 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
The dealer shouldn't have taken the van unless he was sure there was no finance on it.

Did your dad take any finance out to buy it? if so it should be ok, as finance companies wont duplicate...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 28/9/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 55ant
we cant find out who the finance company is as the HPI people wont tell us as the finance isnt in my dads name? does this sound wrong?

Yes, sounds wrong.
Not sure on HPI, but AA say this...

http://www.aacardatacheck.com/finance.html

So basically the AA report tells you all you need to know. I suggest you speak to HPI. If they give you Data Protection crap, don't stand for it, all you need to know is the company that financed the van you now own. They should help you out.

EDIT to add: But I still think its an admin error. Finance companies don't stop chasing debts regardless of how small or how old. Remember that HPI are not the finance company, they are just the people that keep the records. They can and do make mistakes.

[Edited on 28/9/10 by balidey]

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

blakep82

posted on 28/9/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I'm guessing its an admin error and that it HAD outstanding finance and that the HPI database (or whatever it is) hasn't been updated. This does happen. Best thing to do is speak to the finance company. This will tell you for certain one way or the other. And it will then give you evidence to go back to the dealer with if money is owed.

pretty sure they won't tell you (data protection act and all that) because it wasn't his finance debt, its someone elses

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jimmyd

posted on 28/9/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
You do have the right to know who the finance company is and what the agreement number is. You can then ask the finance house if the agreement has be settled and if so remove it from HPI. If you get stuck U2U me and I may be able to help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.