Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rwd Zetec Plenum
femster87

posted on 29/9/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Rwd Zetec Plenum

Has anybody used the spencer ashley zetec plenum. Am planning on using this with a weber alpha ECU. Any pro's/ cons?
doddy

posted on 29/9/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
my mate bought on for his zetec but had to send it back as they had powercoated it in the wronge colour and missed off the brackets that hold the injecter rail on,
pissed him off a bit but they did sort it out in the end and sent him anther one
seems to work well but not toally tested yet as hes not on the road yet

femster87

posted on 29/9/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
what ecu is he using. How difficult was it to get it running.
doddy

posted on 29/9/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
megasquirt v3 it was fine olny thing he had a problem with was the air flow meter as your meant to use the ford one and it dont fit to well i think hes is going to use a differant one
doddy

posted on 29/9/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
i think it should work with any ecu
he bought it to work with the ford ecu from a mondeo but could not get the loom and code bit to work so bought the ms in the end

big_wasa

posted on 29/9/10 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at them but wasnt taken with the quality of his early efforts.

Ive since made and modified one.

It works well with the standard eec-v ecu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKqeCjdBM0w

JeffJeffers

posted on 29/9/10 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any one else that makes an inlet manifold? Cause Griffin don't make them any more and if the quality of the spencer ashley isn't very good. What other choices are there?
arrow-engineering

posted on 29/9/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
plenum

ive got a westfield one, it takes standard throttle body and has proper inlet trumpets in the plenum for air flow and it uses the 1800 ho zetec injection rail and manifold plate, makes good power too. its the best made zetec plenum ive seen
loggyboy

posted on 29/9/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Pepper performance (ebay) are the only others ive seen, but have seen reviews that dont rate the quality, but have reserved judgement as ive not seen one myself.
femster87

posted on 30/9/10 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Make some more please.

quote]Originally posted by JeffJeffers
Is there any one else that makes an inlet manifold? Cause Griffin don't make them any more and if the quality of the spencer ashley isn't very good. What other choices are there?

JeffJeffers

posted on 1/10/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arrow-engineering
ive got a westfield one, it takes standard throttle body and has proper inlet trumpets in the plenum for air flow and it uses the 1800 ho zetec injection rail and manifold plate, makes good power too. its the best made zetec plenum ive seen

Just spoke to Westfield, they haven't made the plenum chamber for about 5 years.

MikeR

posted on 1/10/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
What would people want from an inlet manifold like this

for a cheap version

for an expensive version?

Just thinking whilst i'm not working i could look at making some. I've got a griffin inlet and it wouldn't be too difficult (i think) to make an improved version.

Would crossflow / xe / cvh boys be interested in a version that used? For the xe / cvh re-using as much from the original engine as possible?

JeffJeffers

posted on 1/10/10 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
What would people want from an inlet manifold like this

for a cheap version

for an expensive version?

Just thinking whilst i'm not working i could look at making some. I've got a griffin inlet and it wouldn't be too difficult (i think) to make an improved version.

Would crossflow / xe / cvh boys be interested in a version that used? For the xe / cvh re-using as much from the original engine as possible?

It depends if the expensive version was any better than the cheap version!

I want something I can bolt on and works well. Ideal I want a set of Jenveys but can't afford them. I think this is the best way for me to spend my money and get my car up and running.

All I want is to get the best plenum chamber for my money.

MikeR

posted on 1/10/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking (ok, random musing) something like ....

cheap version, just like the griffin - large tube with four tubes to each inlet on the engine. Injector bosses on the tubes to the inlet and bolt holes to allow it to take the standard injectors. Flange either end to allow it to have the throttle body at either end (means easy to make one plenum and configure for different cars). Onto this you blank one end and mount the throttle body & mass air flow sensor on the other. Mounting would be either straight or at an angle to avoid engine bits. unpainted.

expensive version, as cheap but has the four inlets set up so a ram pipe can be glued in giving better performance. At the opposite end to the throttle body a mounting for a idle control valve. painted.

(if anyone can suggest other differences .... i'd like to hear them.)

No idea of prices before someone asks that question, this is all musing at the moment. Will look into costs of steel / time etc next week.

loggyboy

posted on 7/10/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
How cheap?, as I was thinking of making one up myself.
FASTdan

posted on 7/10/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

expensive version, as cheap but has the four inlets set up so a ram pipe can be glued in giving better performance. At the opposite end to the throttle body a mounting for a idle control valve. painted.

When you say ram pipe are you referring to a bellmouth/trumpet (otherwise referred to as velocity stacks I think?) style insert?

Does the griffin inlet have velocity stacks?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR

posted on 7/10/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, mind was on other things, yeah, velocity stacks / bellmouth / trumpet.

Griffin doesn't have them, was thinking if i used tube that was the right dia to fit them they'd be an optional extra.

As to price - not thought it through. think i've figured out how to do the injector mountings, need to try now & then price up the laser cutting and steel, figure out a price for my time and see where i come too.

FASTdan

posted on 7/10/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
What do you need laser cut? If it is just zetec flanges I can supply them
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
zetec inlet flange,
three squares with a large hole in them (3 1/2inch hole with, prob about 4 1/2 square)

both out of 6mm steel

Also then need to figure out a price for the main 3 1/2" tube, tubes (can't remember the size) for the inlet tracks and extra steel for the injector bosses.

big_wasa

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I would like for an ultimate plenum.

This

X4

One of these Dan

And some other bits and bobs

MikeR

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
think we all would - just not that easy to make and therefore really really not cheap to reproduce.
turnipfarmer

posted on 13/10/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm certainly on the lookout for a simple plenum at the right price. I don't want to go down the TB route, so it's either a plenum, or the inlet manifold off an RS1800i from a scrappie. Trouble is they're getting a bit thin in the ground. I'm not sure it'll go under the bonnet of a 7 anyway.

I think there could be quite a market out there for a plenum, for anyone capable of making one.

FASTdan

posted on 14/10/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I would be interested in developing something similar to above, however:

1) I understand that the plenum profile below is desirable (over and above a rectangular or tubular) but is there a calc to determine this profile/volume? I've seen basic vol calculators based on engine capacity but not regarding the actual profiled shape?

2) why is nobody (or very few) else making them?

interestedparty

posted on 14/10/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
2) why is nobody (or very few) else making them?

That will either be because they don't think there is enough demand, or because it looks too difficult (and therefore not worth doing for what they think they can sell them for)

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

turnipfarmer

posted on 14/10/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with that. And it's a pity.

Personally, I'm not looking for anything as fancy as the design in Fastdan's pic. A straightforward tubular job would do me.

I'm only looking for something that would allow me to bin the standard plastic Zetec manifold to overcome clearance issues. Any increase in power would be a bonus, but it's not the main priority.

I believe there is a market out there for people like me, especially if the manufacturer also provided a sump shortening service at a reasonable price.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.