Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Carb Trumpet Angle
locosaki

posted on 30/9/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Carb Trumpet Angle

I've got bike carbs fitted to my engine on a bogg manifold, Now when I fit my trumpets on they stick through the bonnet due to the angle of the carbs on the manifold.

The trumpets just push into a bit of rubber on the original airbox so if I fully push the trumpet in at the bottom and half slip it at the top into the rubber connector I then get the trumpets sitting level and under my bonnet (which I want)

Now I'm wondering due to the change in angle will this affect air flow into the carbs ?

jacko

posted on 30/9/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
If the trumpets are that close to the bonnet how are you going to fit a air filter ?
what carbs are they ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SPYDER

posted on 30/9/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Like Jacko says, if you have no air filter it's not the air flowing into the carbs that you need to be concerned with!
It's everything else flowing in!

locosaki

posted on 30/9/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
There ZX9r carbs, If I stick a filter on with the trumpets angled it clears the bonnet just I'm just unsure if tilting the trumpets down a little would cause problems ?
r1_pete

posted on 30/9/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Jacko,

You should have 1.5 x the choke diameter between the end of the trumpet and any 'obstruction' e.g. airbox lid, filter plate etc.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 30/9/10 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locosaki
There ZX9r carbs, If I stick a filter on with the trumpets angled it clears the bonnet just I'm just unsure if tilting the trumpets down a little would cause problems ?

Don't forget you want cold air into the filter hove a look in my photo archives the section zx9r carbs / manifold it may give you some ideas
Jacko

locosaki

posted on 30/9/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have the correct distance from filter to trumpet and with the trumpets angled down that puts them right at the back of the grill directly into the airflow.
jacko

posted on 30/9/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like that will be ok do you have any photos of the engine / engine bay ?
Jacko

locosaki

posted on 30/9/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I don't at the minute but could certainly take a few tomorrow to give you an idea.

I was just concerned that the angle of the trumpet going to the carb would disrupt the airflow maybe cause turbulance in saying that the fuel supply should still be spot on as the carbs mate to the manifold perfectly so really shouldn't get fuel drop out !

Angel Acevedo

posted on 1/10/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Is cutting a couple of mm possible,
Diference in performance may not be noticeable at all,
But reading Carroll Smith Tune to win,
Every difference counts, so you may be looking for another solution, maybe a small scoop will give you colder air and a little bit of ram air pressure.
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

JF

posted on 2/10/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about ram air... it more an advertising tool then anything else.

It just adds a few hp at top speed, if done well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.