Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can someone explain this tin top problem?
MikeR

posted on 1/10/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Can someone explain this tin top problem?

A while ago i posted a rant about some work i'd had done on the tin top that didn't fix the problem. (link to original post)

Well i've still got the problem and i've no idea what it is.

The car has a judder under hard acceleration. Its MUCH worse if your turning when you accelerate and MUCH MUCH worse in the wet - to the point its medium acceleration. The judder sounds like a banging and judder at the same time. *I think* if you're in second it judders a lot faster than in first implying its related to wheel speed.

The clutch holds if you do the handbrake on and lift the clutch test. If you boot it going up a hill or sometimes when it judders the engine spins up but the car doesn't accelerate. I'm pretty sure its not spinning the tires at this point.

Now ever since i've had the car (2 years and 30k miles ago, got it second hand 3yr and 50k miles). Its had a squirm / torque steer on acceleration which i thought slowly got worse till the judder started. Its had its EGR valve replaced. Kerbed it hard avoiding a muppet which damaged the alloy and tracking but didn't seem to show any damage elsewhere. The judder was (i think) their very very mildly before this incident & got worse slowly afterwards. Took it to the garage who diagnosed lower engine / gearbox mount failure. As it involved box out i also had clutch, dual mass, slave cylinder replaced at the same time. When collecting the car he said nothing wrong with lower mount but he's done a top one instead).

So ... before i go back and moan i've still got the problem / take it to ford for a second opinion, what does the collective think?

omega 24 v6

posted on 1/10/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
given all the work done the last time then you'd have to suspect drive train problems from the engine outwards surely.
So bent shaft in box or bent driveshafts/hub bearings wheel bearings stub axle etc.
I can imagine that given a " Hard" kerbing that something somewhere must have taken a fair hit/deflection.
have you got a friendly mot station where you could put it on the rollers and spin up one side of the drivetrain at a time?? narrow it down to one side and see if you can eliminate it from there.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

r1_pete

posted on 1/10/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I hazzard a guess at wheel bearing, CV Joint (or whatever type it has) or bent stub axle, jack it up and see if theres any play, or the wheel looks buckled when spun, then turn it lock to lock and turn each wheel, see if there is any noise.

[Edited on 1/10/10 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dazzx10r

posted on 1/10/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I had a very similar problem with a peugeot 405 mi16, It had chipped a couple of teeth off the diff!
jacko

posted on 1/10/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hit kerb = tyre damage ?
Bent drive shaft / etc
Alloy wish bone bent ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 1/10/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
My first thought is the diff...
l0rd

posted on 1/10/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

*I think* if you're in second it judders a lot faster than in first implying its related to wheel speed.

What does the car feel like in 3-4-5 and reverse?

Our Renault 21 had a faulty CV joint and you could listen/feel it when accelerating during a corner. It would also judder under acceleration on 1-2 when you would spin the wheels.
Id you drove it like a granny on acceleration it would be fine. If you didn't try accelerating during a corner it would still be fine most of the time but it did in general have some judder.

Try replacing the driveshaft asap.

Our cv joint gave up on my hands. Lucky me, i was trying to do a u turn from stopped so less than 2mph and the steering wheel actually turned that quickly the other way round that it could have broken my fingers if i was holding it properly and not with the palm of my hand

norfolkluego

posted on 1/10/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
This might be too simple but I had a thread earlier in the year when I described my daily driver (Civic) as 'undriveable'. I spent hours checking it, couldn't find anything wrong, gave up and took it to my local garage, then they gave up as they couldn't find anything either. More in hope than expectation I asked them to check the wheel balance, in the end that's all it was but the car was juddering/shuddering exactly as you describe, when it first happened I honestly thought I'd got a loose wheel.

[Edited on 1/10/10 by norfolkluego]

Gav

posted on 1/10/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar sounding problem in a seat leon.
It was the lambda sensor which had gone.
But it started abruptly and ended as soon as a new sensor was fitted.

speedyxjs

posted on 1/10/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have had this on a van before. Turned out to be a driveshaft.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

adithorp

posted on 1/10/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Having read all the thread(s) there's a lot of red herrings. None of them account for all the symptoms. I'd say either dirveshaft/CV joint/hub but that wouldn't account for the rev increase. That sounds like clutch slip but thats been changed... I've seen new ones slip where the but that wouldn't give vibration.
What these do tend to do is spin up a wheel under hard acceleration (had a Mondeo TDci doing it in 3rd today) and the wheel tramps like mad, especially if the shocker isn't good. That accounts for the rev increase and the vibration and it gradually getting worse as the shocker fails.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MikeR

posted on 1/10/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with this except i don't hear the scrabling / wizzing sound a tyre makes when it spins up. Did a fast start in the g/f alfa tonight and heard the tyres before the traction cut in (Which was nice as it proved that i should be hearing the tyres as they spin up - was getting paranoid i'd missed it).

Outer CV's are fine (did the turning at lock check). Is there a simple way to test shocks? If i lean on the car it goes down, if i let go it returns to its initial position. Does seem to take a lot of effort to bounce it at the front - but i've no idea how much effort it took when i first bought it.

One issue i've got is both and and the g/f are out of work - once her alfa goes back its the only car we've got and i'm loath to spend money replacing bits that aren't broken - but we need a reliable car.

jase380

posted on 2/10/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
A mate had a 306 d turbo doing something similar, it turned out to be the inner joint on the n/s driveshaft, it had got so bad it felt as though the car was tring to flip itself over between 3 and 4 thousand rpm
MikeRJ

posted on 2/10/10 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
What these do tend to do is spin up a wheel under hard acceleration

I agree, all the symptoms point to wheelspin and the resulting wheel tramp.

Mike, what tyres do you have on the front, cheap ditchfinders or decent ones? Have all the front suspension bushes been checked?

StrikerChris

posted on 2/10/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'd of given up by now and eBay'd it or thrown it at an auction!sometimes you just have to cut your losses!
l0rd

posted on 2/10/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
can you do the work yourself?

I would check on ebay for people breaking one and get a deal on a full set.

Hub, driveshaft, suspension.

My clio, 1.8 RSi did a couple of times a scary problem.

You would try to accelerate from stopped and the whole car would rattle like there was a 15 Richter eartquake.

In 2 years it did it 5 times. I had to pull away on second gear. Never did anything about it. My mechanic told me either diff or broken clutch springs.

jacko

posted on 2/10/10 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Try putting the front wheels on the back and back on front + are the tyres fitted to the wheels the right way round [ directional ]
it may be a tyre delaminating I have had this happen on cars
Jacko

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.