Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: k series project questions
StrikerChris

posted on 3/10/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
k series project questions

Well all the chavs have done the redtop nova corsa thing,now the imps gone I'm thinking 1.8vvc rover metro street sleeper.am I right in thinking bar the obvious manifolds and brain issues externally the motors are not much different to the 1.4 fitted to the gti?
Also was there any difference from a standard shell to a gti,cause ideally id like a basic looking one black bumpers etc just for more of a surprise for people as I no its never going to be seriously quick.
Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hillbillyracer

posted on 3/10/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think it's a big job to make it work, I went to the PPC £999 challenge at Santa Pod last month & there was just such a Metro there, it was at the year before too.
It's a proper Ganny spec car, an auto before the conversion I think, mabye a 5 dr too but I cant mind, plastic wheel trims (but sticky rubber!), lowered (but metros dont look modded when you lowered them cos they kinda do it as standard!) & it does the 1/4mile in the mid 14 secs which is fairly quick for any hot hatch.

StrikerChris

posted on 3/10/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cool cool that's what I wanted to hear!its going to have to look granny style cause of all the 192s and vxr's etc around here,can't look like I'm trying!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 3/10/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Talon Sportscars did/do a 1.8VVC conversion for Metros. Might be worth a google for ideas at least?
elise

posted on 3/10/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
look on metro power it has all your answers and even built cars for sale
britishtrident

posted on 3/10/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
VVC is a pain in the neck for little gain better to mod the standard head.

Other problem is gearboxes, all gearboxes used in the Metro are a bit fragile, to get a gearbox that will take a bit of hammer requires fitting the Rover PG1 gearbox fitted to the MGF & MG TF, and 1.8 Rovers (and many other Austin-Rover models).

The Peugeot gearbox in the 1.6 25/45 is a bit stronger than that used with the smaller engined K series.

Simon

posted on 3/10/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Martin Reyland may be able to help...

http://www.reyland.co.uk/metro.asp?flOffset=13

http://www.reyland.co.uk/Parts.asp?ID=9

From this page:

Metro 160hp VVC c/w PG1 gearbox
Supply and fit 160hp VVC engine and PG1 gearbox to Rover Metro/100 models. This conversion is more difficult due to the use of the original stronger PG1 gearbox. Extra work includes fabrication of gear change mechanism, Engine steady mount, gearbox bracket mods, downpipe etc. This conversion also includes driveshafts, MEMS3 management etc and is priced as a drive in drive out job. Non Mpi models are £75 extra.
Price = £2,000.00 (excl. V.A.T.)

Price = £2,350.00 (incl. V.A.T. @ 17.5%)
Click HERE for more information and photo'

Metro 160hp VVC c/w R65 gearbox
Supply and fit 160hp VVC engine and 1600 clutch/flywheel assembly to Rover Metro/100 models using customers existing gearbox.This conversion uses MEMS3 management and is priced as a drive in drive out job. Non Mpi models are £75 extra.
Price = £1,500.00 (excl. V.A.T.)

Price = £1,762.50 (incl. V.A.T. @ 17.5%)
Click HERE for more information and photo'

Drive in slowly, drive out quickly

ATB

Simon

StrikerChris

posted on 3/10/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies peoples,got afew things to bear in mind before in elbows deep!if its goin to cost 2k tho I'm not even going there!was thinking more like 2 ton lol
hillbillyracer

posted on 3/10/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
There was also a feature car in PPC a couple of issues back, it had the 1.8turbo from a Rover 75 in with a fair few mods to take the motor further on still, reckoned in the article that it was'nt a nightmare to do.
How much can you pick up a ratty/bumped 75 1.8 turbo for?

StrikerChris

posted on 3/10/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
If I was going to do another turbo it'd be a marina van with a tomcat but this is just a cheap throw it together idea.thanks for all the info,useful to have before I'm elbows deep see if its viable.if I can do it for less than id pay for a 205 gti it'll pass some time!
hughpinder

posted on 4/10/10 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
See the k series page here:

http://www.dvandrews.co.uk/

Regards
Hugh

MikeRJ

posted on 4/10/10 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
Cheers for the replies peoples,got afew things to bear in mind before in elbows deep!if its goin to cost 2k tho I'm not even going there!was thinking more like 2 ton lol

You'd be lucky to pick up a good 160 VVC engine for £200.

matty h

posted on 4/10/10 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at a website called metro power these guys are into moding metros.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.