Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Conditions to get an age related reg
Aloupol

posted on 6/10/10 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Conditions to get an age related reg

My project is to "import" my car in Belgium after IVA and registration.
I plan to use a donor from here in Belgium.
Will I get an age related reg even if the donor has Belgian papers instead of Brit ones?
If I have a Q reg it will be a mess to import the car in Belgium, AFAIK.
Regards..
Daniel

James

posted on 6/10/10 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought you would get an age related plate... but that suggests common sense from the DVLA which is often asking a bit much.

How about first importing the car into the UK so it gets a UK plate.... then use it as the donor.
That would probably be what I would do to make sure got what I wanted.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 6/10/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
On further reflection, it seems weird to me that Belgium authorities would care that a car is a Q as opposed to a 'P' or an 'R'.
How do they know (in an official sense) that with our unique number plate system that Q is something special.
If the rules changed and 'M' became the special letter instead of 'Q' do they get 'officially' notified?
I would have thought they'd treat Q the same as any other letter right?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Aloupol

posted on 6/10/10 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Right, the letter on the plate doesn't mater, they don't care about the Q (phonetically it makes sense in french...) but with a Q registered car they will search for the build year and find something like "Undetermined" (am I right? I didn't see Brit papers so far) instead of a date, and then get upset of it?

[Edited on 6/10/10 by Aloupol]

Aloupol

posted on 6/10/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I will ask to Belgian fellows somewhere else if it's really impossible to import and register a Q British car.
quote:
Originally posted by JamesHow about first importing the car into the UK so it gets a UK plate....

Yes, that's the solution.
The cons: it forces me to find a roadworthy donor since GB will not allow me to register a crashed car...
Thanks a lot.

ashg

posted on 6/10/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
unfortunately they have changed the system here. the car i built this year is registered as a g plate 1989. but on the cars paperwork it says the car was built in 2010 and first registered in 2010.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

James

posted on 6/10/10 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Bearing in mind I don't know your level of access to the UK... it would almost be easiest to buy a GB donor car in the 1st place wouldn't it?

Build your car from that.

Then you'd have UK documents to support getting a UK reg on the kit car. Then you can import the kit car to Belgium.

Cheers,
James

adithorp

posted on 6/10/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
The date the kit was first registered will appear on the V5 registration document.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Aloupol

posted on 6/10/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
OK, it becomes clear.
Buy the donor in UK: much more dificult and expensive, mostly for logistic reasons but also because of you guys, who drain all the wreck Sierra market overthere... Here they are plenty since no one want them to build kit cars..
Yesterday I saw a Sierra (Diesel) with a little crash but mecanically OK for 100€. Hope I will find a Pinto or CVH one for not much more than nothing.
Since the actual build date will be on the papers and my car will be first registered in say.. 2013 or 2015 (...) I don't have any interest to run after an age related plate. The Q one is OK for me.
The Belgian Westfield an Caterham guys told me it becomes nearly impossible to import kit cars here, this will perhaps force me to keep the UK plates and create a British company which has as only activity to lease me the car, so I can drive it in Belgium with UK reg.
Sorry for my poor English...

Angel Acevedo

posted on 7/10/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aloupol
OK, it becomes clear.
Buy the donor in UK: much more dificult and expensive, mostly for logistic reasons but also because of you guys, who drain all the wreck Sierra market overthere... Here they are plenty since no one want them to build kit cars..
Yesterday I saw a Sierra (Diesel) with a little crash but mecanically OK for 100€. Hope I will find a Pinto or CVH one for not much more than nothing.
Since the actual build date will be on the papers and my car will be first registered in say.. 2013 or 2015 (...) I don't have any interest to run after an age related plate. The Q one is OK for me.
The Belgian Westfield an Caterham guys told me it becomes nearly impossible to import kit cars here, this will perhaps force me to keep the UK plates and create a British company which has as only activity to lease me the car, so I can drive it in Belgium with UK reg.

Not so poor english, but Great thinking...
I think...!!
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dan.

posted on 7/10/10 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aloupol
OK, it becomes clear.

Yesterday I saw a Sierra (Diesel) with a little crash but mecanically OK for 100€.
Was this a 2.3 diesel or a 1.8 turbo diesel? if it was a 2.3 its worth buying for the differential alone!(providing it is a 3.14 ratio)

Aloupol

posted on 8/10/10 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan.Was this a 2.3 diesel or a 1.8 turbo diesel? if it was a 2.3 its worth buying for the differential alone!(providing it is a 3.14 ratio)

It was a TD, but not that difficult to find a 2.3D for 100 or 200€ here.

Breaker

posted on 28/10/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Aloupol,

I'm in the same situation. Have you already found a way to import into Belgium? I'd be interested to buy a V5, but apparently this doesn't matter as the registration date (f.e. 2012) will appear on the IVA'd car, so it will get difficult to import into Belgium

Aloupol

posted on 29/10/10 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
Until last year it was straightforward, you just had to apply to import of a British registered car and to pass some tests (ie check of the CE logo on the seatbelts).

The frenchmen with exotic cars used to come here to get a registration before applying in France.

But now they got new "instructions" and they cause all the trouble they can.

I've got the name of the bloke at the ministery who deals these cases, you can drop me a private message with your email, I'll give you the info I can.

Regards..
Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.