Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving with missing sidelights
MkIndy7

posted on 8/10/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Driving with missing sidelights

Where would you stand if you got stopped for having missing sidelights?

Basically the sidelights on one side of the van, front and rear have stopped working (after I probably blew the fuse)

Opens up the interior fuse box and could make little or no sence of the key, thankfully the manual explained a little better but there are no lighting fuses on there other than interior Electrics.
Then it simply says if there not in the internal fusebox their in the engine bay and due to the complexity should be changed by a dealer!.

So after having a good poke in the engine bay it appears their down the side of the battery somewhere and a complete nightmare and practically impossible to get to with out special tools etc...

So if you can get in bother with the Police and stopped for having no sidelights or other lights working surely the fuses for them should be Accessable? otherwise how can it be avoided!

And what would the penalty if any be for this?

Stupid french rubbish anyway a 2010 Renault Kangoo. *and Breathe*

gavin174

posted on 8/10/10 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
if its a 2010 i would take it back to main dealer...

stand in sales dept and talk loudly how discusted you are with the reliability of a new van...

and i am sure they will offer to fit fuse for nowt..

good luck!!

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

adithorp

posted on 8/10/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
It's an offence to run with inoperative lights. Once you know, it's down to you to get it fixed and not to continue to use it knowing they don't work. Your ok to drive it in order to get it fixed (ie to a garage). Just because it's not easy isn't relevant. There's lots of stuff on a car that most people couldn't fix themselves; Should they be allowed to just continue driving the car?

adrian

PS. Yes, French cars are "special" but they only make the LHD ones like that.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/10/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Fuse blowly on a 2010 van doesn't sound like a good start! I'd be straight back to the dealers making sure it's not got a fault!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

MkIndy7

posted on 8/10/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
It will be going back to the dealer in the morning thats for sure.
Its a works van and i'm supposed to be setting off for London at 4am monday morning and I don't fancy trying to find a convienient dealer down there.

Surely a fuse should be a "servicable item" and to make them so unaccessable as to require a dealer to change them, which should it not still be under warrently you'd have to pay for.. is pretty underhand.

What next Security screws holding the windscreen wipers on that only the dealers have a key for.

adithorp

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
The handbook saying take it to your dealer doesn't mean only they can fix it. It's common to find that and realy just them trying to drum up trade.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MkIndy7

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I tried for 10 mins with a reasonable selection of tools and still couldn't find the exact fuse location or get into what appeared to be the engine fusebox so you obviousley need to be in the know.
Its all fiddely clips you can't reach and plugs on the underside of things you can't see to undo.

It just seems Crazy that something that can get you stopped and into trouble with the police for is so Hard to rectify and requires more than basic mechanical knowledge, tools and time to fix what most other companys manage to put in a descent place.

It had better be underthere somewhere now or i'll look a right prat!
Does anybody know for defiantely where it is?

rusty nuts

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7

Surely a fuse should be a "servicable item" and to make them so unaccessable as to require a dealer to change them,

Just wait until a bulb go's

JoelP

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
in the short term, can you fiddle the brake light switch to keep them on instead of tail lights? Or, run a link between the good light and the duff one?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/10/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
in the short term, can you fiddle the brake light switch to keep them on instead of tail lights? Or, run a link between the good light and the duff one?

That might void the warranty! Or blow something else.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

SteveWalker

posted on 8/10/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
We seem to get all sorts of stupid rules from Europe, but not one that says that fuses and bulbs should be easily accessible, without tools (or with a tool that is part of the car's standard kit), at the side of the road - just like most cars used to be!
Macbeast

posted on 8/10/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've read that there are some cars you have to take to the dealers when a headlamp bulb blows. Makes a nonsense of the French requirement to carry a set of spares ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

MikeR

posted on 8/10/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
The french ones are the worst!!!! at least you have a spare for when you get to the garage.
MkIndy7

posted on 9/10/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Suprise suprise over the phone neither of the 2 local Dealerships can fit me in today, couldn't be arsed going down and starting a slanging match in the dealership!

As said it just makes a complete mockery of Europes rules about carrying spare bulbs etc

After speaking to a Technician it is in the engine bay fuse box wich I fought hard with to get into and the fusebox is upside down to prevent water getting into it...
So you have to Disconect the Battery, remove all the covers which is no easy task,
then release the upside down fuse box, lift it the 1" of slack you have on the cables and reach under and release about 5 multiplugs that you've never seen before and have no idea how to release.. to turn it over and all the rest of the fuses are there.

And yes when its out of warrenty you'd have to pay them for the priviledge of changing a fuse... No doubt a 1 hour minimum charge so prob £50 to change a fuse

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/10/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
What a heep of sh"t i'd be going to my boss and tell him to burn it now to save money !

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

David Jenkins

posted on 9/10/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
I've read that there are some cars you have to take to the dealers when a headlamp bulb blows. Makes a nonsense of the French requirement to carry a set of spares ?

Renault Megane - according to Fifth Gear, most dealers will quote £125+ to change a light bulb, hoping that you will go elsewhere. It involves the removal of the front wheel, opening an access panel, and reaching in like a contortionist to remove the existing bulb and fit the new one - without being able to see what you're doing. It took their tame RAC man over 30 minutes to do the job. Renault claim that it was due to NCAP requirements - but 5th Gear pointed out that changing a bulb on the latest VW Golf took 30 seconds or so... also a 5-star NCAP rated car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.