Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XE Coscast Heads
scootz

posted on 9/10/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
XE Coscast Heads

... I've noticed that they go for around the £150 mark.

I appreciate they are considered to be less porous than the GM heads, but are they worth it at this late stage in the game?

Or is it just a case of buying a 'name'?

It's Evolution Baby!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/10/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of both i should think. They are supposed to have better flow but i'm unsure how. Plus they arent supposed to go porous, but i cant imagine every GM head has or will go porous.

If you can afford it get one,otherwise get a couple of GM's just incase lol

P.s i have 2 coscast heads

[Edited on 9/10/10 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

deezee

posted on 9/10/10 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Coscast was a casting technique for creating an aluminium casting under pressure. Both heads are virtually identical. Its just that Cosworth branded one head so people have created a hype regarding them.

Its the same grade aluminium on both castings and it doesn't become porous, it simply has had a couple of cases of minor cracks leaking water into oil gallery. If the oil galleries haven't got water in by now, they probably aren't ever going to.

MikeRJ

posted on 9/10/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
Coscast was a casting technique for creating an aluminium casting under pressure. Both heads are virtually identical. Its just that Cosworth branded one head so people have created a hype regarding them.

The 'coscast' heads were actually cast by Cosworth, the later ones were cast by Karl Smchitd in Germany. The Karl Smchitd heads have a few external differences as well as their propensity to internally combine their coolant and oil circuits

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 9/10/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
The 'coscast' heads were actually cast by Cosworth, the later ones were cast by Karl Smchitd in Germany. The Karl Smchitd heads have a few external differences as well as their propensity to internally combine their coolant and oil circuits

Agree with the above. The original XE Redtop heads by GM were sometimes prone to corrosion or deterioration of the wall separating coolant and oil, which when it went wront, mixed the two together with unfortunate results. The Coscast heads, as casted by Cosworth, avoided this problem as they had minor differences to the OE head that separated the flow of different liquids.

Agreed, there is a lot of hype and people often buy it because of the "Cosworth" branding, but there is a common cure for the OE heads which makes them just as good as their counterpart.

But as has been said, there's no guarantee the engine will turn into an oil and water mixer, so I wouldn't worry about it until such times as symptoms start occurring!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

scootz

posted on 9/10/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys... just out of interest - what is the 'cure' and who does it?

It's Evolution Baby!

westy turbo

posted on 10/10/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the mod ive done
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/340906-thought-id-have-go-porous-cracked-head-modification.html

scootz

posted on 10/10/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ta muchly!

It's Evolution Baby!

westy turbo

posted on 11/10/10 at 04:51 AM Reply With Quote
so what u up 2 ?
scootz

posted on 11/10/10 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing much... I just have the cam cover and exhaust manifold off the XE just now for painting and wondered if it was worth swapping heads.

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.