Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Puma 1.7
Strontium Dog

posted on 9/10/10 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Puma 1.7

Is anyone running a 1.7 Puma engine in a RWD car?

If so my mate could really use some info, like what did you do to get around the crank/spigot bearing issue!

Any help would be appreciated!

beaver34

posted on 9/10/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
crank machined i belive last time i spoke to shawspped
T Rex

posted on 9/10/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
My Daughter had one of these delightful little Puma with the 1.7 Yamaha derived engines, however a friend of mine who has a car repair business kept on and on at me to get rid of it, this because he had changed numerous engines in these cars because of an issue with the Nikasil coating in the bores, this hardening allows aluminium piston's to run in an aluminium bores and according to him this coating has a life expectancy of between 45000 & 60000 miles in these engines. I persuaded my daughter to sell the car at about 51000 miles.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 9/10/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't the BMW 4 & 5L V8 engines suffer from the same Nikasil failure problem?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

beaver34

posted on 9/10/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T Rex
My Daughter had one of these delightful little Puma with the 1.7 Yamaha derived engines, however a friend of mine who has a car repair business kept on and on at me to get rid of it, this because he had changed numerous engines in these cars because of an issue with the Nikasil coating in the bores, this hardening allows aluminium piston's to run in an aluminium bores and according to him this coating has a life expectancy of between 45000 & 60000 miles in these engines. I persuaded my daughter to sell the car at about 51000 miles.

believe it was resolved it later engines, besides not alot of kit cars do alot of miles

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.