Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reviving faded GRP
MK9R

posted on 11/10/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Reviving faded GRP

The cream GRP bodywork on the GTM has areas of pinky/cream where i'm guessing the gelcoat has been affected by UV's.

I've got a buffing machine, just looking for best product for an aggressive cut. I've used Autosol metallic cutting paste on GRP with good success, but as i need to buy some anyway, just wondered if there were any better compounds. I see autosol do a marine polish for boats, just wondered if anyone had used it.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 11/10/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I used fine wet n dry then polished up with G3...
40inches

posted on 11/10/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have used G6 with very good results, after cutting back with 1500 grit wet and dry, you have to let it go almost dry.
MK9R

posted on 11/10/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
I used fine wet n dry then polished up with G3...

mmm, how deep did that go through???

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 11/10/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Varied - was when I was working on the bonnet, I did't go through the gelcoat before I found the original colour - but did when I tried in a small corner of one of the doors...hence why I'm planning to spray mine (plus the new bonnet is a different colour)
stevebubs

posted on 11/10/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
PS my gelcoat was abour 12/13 years old at the time....original Sylva bodywork...
MK9R

posted on 11/10/10 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
this gel coat is about 20 years old ;-) The fibreglass is bloody good quality though, not fury like!!!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Mr Noo

posted on 12/10/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
We have this problem with the wings on our gliders, T35 gell tends to go dull in the constant sunlight, I have done my wings last year, using 1500 grit wet, and then polished up with 3M fast cut, then 3M medium then 3M swirl remover. The gell on glider wings is very very thin compared to a car. G3 would be fine but having used both products I would go 3M every time. You may even find that just using 3M Fast Cut with a Rotary Polisher (with plenty of water) would be enough to remove the ozidised layer of gell. You can also use a flap wheel and wax to do the same (most glider repair shops use this method as it impregnates the gell with wax and is less messey whilst removing the top layer of gell)
Hope this is of use.
C

Mr Noo

posted on 12/10/10 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to add, my glider is 29 years old, so the gell is older than yours but even at this age it looks like a sheet of glass!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.