Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New phone or contract?
coozer

posted on 13/10/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
New phone or contract?

While everyone is asking about phones here's mine!

I fancy a blackberry but don't want to pay £25 a month.

Most contracts to get the phone free are 24 months so I was thinking about getting a sim card off O2, they were offering one for £5 a month with 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb internet.

So, I'm thinking of buying the phone then paying £5 a month, this seems cheaper to me but is there any catch?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jos

posted on 13/10/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
The £5 a month calling plan may not include data, which you will need to fully exploit the BB. You should be able to get data added for around £5.00 per month which should still see you saving money over 12/18 months compared to getting it free on a higher rate per month contract

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

stevebubs

posted on 13/10/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
The £5 a month calling plan may not include data, which you will need to fully exploit the BB. You should be able to get data added for around £5.00 per month which should still see you saving money over 12/18 months compared to getting it free on a higher rate per month contract

Ahem...it's normally £5/month for the data tariff, then another £5/month for the hosted blackberry service.

You need both to make full use of a blackberry....I'm 90% certain the email functionality is missing until the blackberry service is enabled....

[Edited on 13/10/10 by stevebubs]

McLannahan

posted on 13/10/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by jos

Ahem...it's normally £5/month for the data tariff, then another £5/month for the hosted blackberry service.

You need both to make full use of a blackberry....I'm 90% certain the email functionality is missing until the blackberry service is enabled....

[Edited on 13/10/10 by stevebubs]

Steve is correct sadly - you need to pay for a Blackberry data plan for it to work properly as a Blackberry.

Internet will work but only as part of a data bundle - Blackberry plans normally include unlimited Internet access.

Email won't work although you could check it via webmail. Not very elegant or handy but possible.

You used to be able to get a pay once BB - A one off fee for the year but it was quite expensive.

To be honest - having had quite a few BB's now and often one's with no BB service as contracts switch over etc...They're not good phones or devices without the BB service.

britishtrident

posted on 13/10/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
With O2 you a real bargain is if you take O2 broadband landline as well.
austin man

posted on 13/10/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think carphone warehouse do a £15 a month deal on the blackberry depends which one you want I have the curve and quite impressed no flash though

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

lotusmadandy

posted on 14/10/10 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
DONT go with 02,

they might just stiff you the way they have just stiffed me

After 8 loyal years it seems the customer is always wrong.

This is of course just my very bitter opinion.
Andy

[Edited on 14/10/10 by lotusmadandy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.