Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car tax- another DVLA howler....
pewe

posted on 15/10/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Car tax- another DVLA howler....

Received a renewal reminder for the F27 so went on-line to re-new.
Application was blocked as "no valid MOT" - doesn't need one as first reg/manufactured in 2008.
Rang them up only to be told they don't have a year of manufacture so it won't re-new on-line.
When asked why it was possible to re-new on-line last year but not this the drongo at the other end said it was because of the "new system" and they "don't have a manufacture date".
I pointed out that manufacture date was used for SVA so where was the problem? "We don't share data with them".
Apparently I can go to a Post Office as they work off date of first registration.
Oh and don't try to tax your tractor on-line because the system can't cope with that either!!
T**ssers!
Rant over.
Cheers, Pewe

MikeR

posted on 15/10/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
has anyone complained to their MP about this ? I'm just thinking this really needs sorting and if we all complain to our mp's and keep a record of the complaints on here then when the next person complains they can say "as per X complaint to MP Y, and A complaint to MP B etc" ....

once the list has a few names on it, some MP's will start to take notice, especially if you cc in the MP responsible for transport. Basically they'll all get sick of the post & start to worry this could affect votes / be a way to save money & make them look good if sorted out.

irvined

posted on 15/10/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the DVLA didn't get this memo:

Sadly they are not on the hit list for re-orgs.....

http://irvined.blogspot.com

zetec

posted on 15/10/10 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I cant see that they will spend money, they don't have, on fixing an issue that affects a very small number of vehicles on their records. Suspect we will have to put up with these issues until a change is made as part of a bigger update...

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Vindi_andy

posted on 15/10/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to tax mine online

The only problems I had were with the insurance as it took a while for them to udate the system that I had paid.

On a similar note got stopped by the police last saturday, fortunately it was a mate of mine id not seen for a while who wanted a chat, he was in an unmarked traffic car with all the anpr gear

So there we were stood on the side of the road and he told me he couldnt pick up the reg on the IR camera in the bumper, so he then typed it in manually and their computer came back saying MOT not supplied or something similar. Told him ait is classed as new car so doesnt need one for 3 years.

pewe

posted on 15/10/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Been to the Post Office and the guy behind the counter queried the no MOT bit.
He then looked at the V5 and decided it was OK to issue a new disc.
Makes a change to deal with someone who can apply common sense - c'mon DVLA get your act together or is that too much for a "customer" to expect?
Cheers, Pewe

NS Dev

posted on 15/10/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
oh their ineptitude knows no bounds

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Richard Quinn

posted on 17/10/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just had exactly the same. I think that I may need to go to a bigger post office than our local one as, although they do car tax, I'm not sure that they understand what a car is!
Richard Quinn

posted on 18/10/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I chose a larger post office near work and still got the "computer says no" response. "Form says you need an MOT, computer says you need an MOT" etc. "You need to ring VOSA, would you like the number?"
I persisted and presented the log book with the May 09 date of first registration together with a completed V112 and the woman behind the counter disappeared off.
A couple of minutes later she reappeared with the manager. He sat down at the counter and started asking me some strange, yet knowledgeable questions about my car. Turned out he's got a Westie and a beach buggy.
He tried explaining the situation to the girl who was serving me but she replied that the only "kit" car she knows is the one off Knightrider at which point he just asked her to sort out my tax disc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.