Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator three pin connection?
TheDodge

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator three pin connection?

Hi,

I have recently begun work on a locost my dad started building around 15 years ago. I am about do do a simple loom(sprint/hillclimb use only) but am not sure of the alternator connections. There is a three spade socket on the unit, am guessing there will be battery pos, dash bulb, and ground. Any idea which is which? i don't know unfortunately if the unit is original but it looks too new. Sorry for lack of info, the car is in the garage at the folks and i can't check now for serial no's maker etc.

austin man

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/5/viewthread.php?tid=144832

posted yesterday hope its of use

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

RazMan

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
That depends on the type of alternator - post up a pic of the terminals and I am sure we can help.

Oh and welcome

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 20/10/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Earth is the body of the alternator.

Two fat spades are joined, just use one which goes to the battery, usually paired on the starter motor if on the same side.

Single small blade goes via the alternator bulb on the dash, this is a switched live on the other side.

TheDodge

posted on 20/10/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, what a fast response guys, thanks.

Yes the alternator and starter motor are both on the left hand side as view from the cockpit.

Do i have to use heavy cable on any of the alternator connections, ie big lugged cable like from starter solenoid to starter.

It won't attach to the spades but is is required for the earth? If there are mutiple heavy cables then i have missed some lug points on first inspection.

Should i wire the switched live to the alternator throught the switch for the ignition coil or have a separate switch, or go through the master cut out?

Thanks for the welcome

02GF74

posted on 21/10/10 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
You need to identify the alternator make/model but it does sound like a Lucas type.

Two big 6.8 mm spade connectors - both connected - allow 2 runs of cable to carry more current and a smaller 4.7 mm connector for the charge lamp.

The earth is done via the alternator body .... most are like that.

Here is picture I drew up earlier:
Luicas alternator wiring
Luicas alternator wiring

VWP sell the 3 way connector and right-angle spades.
Both wires from the 2 big spades can be 4 or 6mm2; or single wire 8mm2 ... but check that the wire will fit the terminal.

meany

posted on 21/10/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
this may be of help.

http://www.qxcomponents.co.uk/tech.pdf

TheDodge

posted on 21/10/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Great replies from all, thanks.

Will be soldering up some cables in work now i know where everthing is going.

The electrics are getting there although apparently you can no longer get a standard starter solenoid from halfords, or get replacement plugs just from the makers code. . .plenty of stickers tho

One lunchtime wasted. . .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.