Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: where's best to buy harnesses?
blakep82

posted on 21/10/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
where's best to buy harnesses?

i've got a pair of willans ones, but i need them all to be clip in ones, these are clip in top belts, and bolt in lowers.

i don't want 2" strap, with push button jobs,

i want the proper 3" straps, 4 point clip in, aircraft type buckle jobs, FIA approval IS now listed as acceptable for IVA

soooo, where's the best place to buy them?

[Edited on 21/10/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

thefreak

posted on 21/10/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Prima Motorsport can supply any configuration you like and are FIA approved
http://www.primamotorsport.com/prima_motorsport_products/kit_car_harness/kit_car_harness.html

blakep82

posted on 21/10/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
ooh, nice one they look pretty good,
the belts look good, and good price too
any other recommendations anyone?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RK

posted on 22/10/10 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Willans can mod yours for you, but they charge quite a bit for it. They are nice, but a long ways from you! Are you planning a trip down to the Beautiful South anytime soon? They are in Hampshire, in a lovely little place called Stockbridge. It's a bit too quaint for it's own good, if you ask me, but lovely. Did I say that already??? Bring the missus.

Having checked the Prima site, I don't think you can do a lot better than that for quality/price.

[Edited on 22/10/10 by RK]

Steve Hignett

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
They are in Hampshire, in a lovely little place called Stockbridge. It's a bit too quaint for it's own good, if you ask me, but lovely. Did I say that already??? Bring the "missus".[Edited on 22/10/10 by RK]

Gaaayyyyyyy.............

JekRankin

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Prima, they seem well made I was I impressed by the service.

As said, they'll do them in any configuration you want - so I had mine made symmetrically (so that both driver and passenger buckles fall away from the centre of the car), with reverse adjuster straps and a linkage config. that allows them to work as either a 4pt or a 6pt harness.

The 6pt harnesses are less than ten pounds extra, so I thought I might as well get them, but I wanted the option of 4pts for general road use.

The only slight gripe I had was that the Titon badge on the quick release buckles is a shiny sticker and doesn't match the quality of the rest of the harness.

Jek

blakep82

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
ah, interesting, hadn't thought about asking Willans if they'd mod the ones i've got. i imagined they'd say to replace the 2 straps rather than swap the clips on the ends, but i'll ask the FIA thing ran out a while ago, but should still be alright for IVA.

Jek, have you got an close up photos of the belts and buckle?

scudderfish

posted on 22/10/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Another thumbs up for Prima. Spoke to a lovely lady on the phone who ensured I had what I needed, and they arrived very quickly. Here's a photo of when I'd got the first one in

JekRankin

posted on 22/10/10 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry afraid I don't Blake. Unfortunately it's going to be a month or two before I'll be able to get back home to take any!

If you can't get any pics on here, I'm sure Prima themselves would send you some, they were really helpful when I spoke to them on the phone.

Jek

pewe

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Like the looks of those Prima ones espec. as they do reverse lap-straps i.e. pull up rather than pull down - always niggles me when strapping in that it's such a fiddle with pull down ones.
Cheers, Pewe

irvined

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
In the seven i have a set of 3" sabelt harnessers, clip in all round bought direct from Sabelt, very comfortable belts and easy to adjust.

In the fury i have a set of scroth belts, 3" shoulders, and 2" laps, 1.5" crutch straps, also fia approved, these are slightly easier to adjust, and also very comfortable.

I got those from MSAR who are pretty helpful if you want to try out a few different ones.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

thefreak

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I do recommend them because they're excellent quality, but I'm having an issue actually getting them to fit the car! I've gone for the 4 point bolt-in ones and there doesn't seem to be enough adjustment for the lap belts to get me secured into the seat. I'm not sure if it's because there isn't enough adjustment in the straps, or they're too long or if I'm not installing them properly. I'll get some pics when I get the car back...
sergebelg

posted on 22/10/10 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
A friend bought Titon harnesses from Prima and he's a happy man.

I wonder what is the advantage of 3" against 2"... less pressure on the body parts under the straps in case of crash ?

thefreak

posted on 22/10/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm wondering if that's my issue with the fitting. I've got 3" webbing for the laps and they're not giving me a lot of movement for adjustment.
I've just bought some seat runners so I'm going to try fitting them to see if it makes any difference. At the moment with the adjusters as tight as they go, the buckles want to be in the seat cutouts.

Like I say, I dont think it's the harnesses, I think it's my setup

blakep82

posted on 22/10/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
just emailed prima and got a decent reply back, which is always nice. i've asked companies advice before and you usually get a snotty reply back, as if you should already know the answer.. but seem good to deal with already

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.