Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any heating engineers out there who could tell me if I'm right?
eznfrank

posted on 22/10/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Any heating engineers out there who could tell me if I'm right?

I have a boiler issue at the moment. Had HomeServe out who tell me it's a thermister problem, but that due to the way the boiler is situated, I need to relocate it first as the current access is too tight.

Anyway, I've seen "clip on" thermisters and I was wondering if there's any reason I can't just unplug the electrical connection on the old thermister and use a clip on one instead.

I'm guessing the water will just then flow through the old one if left in situ?

Any advice greatly appreciated. I hope this works as it's the difference between a few quid for a clip on or literally hundreds to move the damn boiler!!

Thanks

ez

bob tatt

posted on 22/10/10 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
cant see why it wont work, is the problem poor hot water delivery.
the old thermistor will be fine where it is, unusual to not be able to get at it there are usually pretty near the front.
What boiler is it and ill see if i can remember where the thermistor is.

eznfrank

posted on 22/10/10 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate, the problem is that when the hot water (taps, shower etc) is switched on in sometimes comes on, but often nothing happens at all. The central heating works fine though but is shut down totally when hot water is run/attempted. I was told it might be diverter valve but the HS guy reckons it's the thermister. It did start working perfectly again for about 6 weeks but went again this morning.

It's a Ravenheat LS80-T. The thing is there is no clearance at the frront to drop the control panel down and the guy from HomeServe reckoned he could probably do it but couldn't guarantee he'd be able to make it watertight again.

I also think the expansion tank is gone but I'm guessing a stand alone one would be easier??

Ferg

posted on 22/10/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you can replicate the position adequately, then I would imagine it would work, but many thermistors screw into the monobloc in a wet pocket and you simply couldn't clip one on.
How bad is it to get to? You don't need much in the way of access for a thermistor.

MkIndy7

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
The front pannel might not hinge down in the correct way but you could maybe spring the hinges and lift it out.

Can you not remove the obstruction, surely whatever it is it was fitted after the boiler.. otherwise it must have been a real cowboy that fitted it and i'd be worried about what else they'd done!.

And watch out everything on it will be RAZOR sharp, there the worst cheepest nastiest boilers i've ever worked on!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.