Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Large transmission bang when lifting off gas
Kriss

posted on 25/10/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Large transmission bang when lifting off gas

Hi all,

Went for a drive at the weekend and was worried to hear that the diff or prob and banging loudly when I lift off the gas fairly sharply.

The prop and diff have always bashed when changing gears, but this is very noticable and has not been present before.

any ideas or suggestions on where and what to look for? Prop and engine are mounted nicely, no bolts have come off there.

Its one lou clash/bang when the car is being driven, and power removed suddenly.

sonic

posted on 25/10/10 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the Diff mount bolts and drive shafts if they the Lobro type.

Does your prop have the cush tube fitted,if so check that isnt worn.

bigrich

posted on 25/10/10 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
have your diff mounting bolts come loose, or driveshaft bolts (if lobro bolt on type)
also check prop coupling for security on the engine output shaft.

do a nut and bolt re torque on the driveline bolts just to be sure,

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

irvined

posted on 25/10/10 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Edited as you've already checked the prop bolts...

As above, most likely to be play somewhere in the driveline due to bolts loosening.

Check:

Diff Mounts
Prop shaft bolts
Prop Adapter Nut/Float in Adapter
Reverse box/central bearing mounting
Driveshaft bolts

Does this sound familiar?

Also check the lash in the diff/reverse box. If there is a lot of lash you'll notice quite a wack when you come on/off the power.

[Edited on 25/10/10 by irvined]

http://irvined.blogspot.com

Kriss

posted on 25/10/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
will do a full spanner check of drive train first.

I suspect last as the diff has always been loud when selecting gears. under drive the car is fine, but that stroy is enough for me to ckeck and also the safety of getting hit by the prop.

Kriss

posted on 27/10/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I have been told to look at all the prop bolts, slack in the UJ's, diff mounts, and also check that the spocket nut has not come off/slack.

still think its my diff back last as its always been terrible!

chunky2772

posted on 27/10/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
ive got the same problem mate im useing an mx5 diff but i also have a residial tube on my prop shaft when i lift of the gas a bang comes from what sounds like the diff the car seems ok when driveing under power ive checked every nut and bolt plus flange adapter nothing is loose my diff is a 4.1 ratio and gives instant engine brakeing. what ratio diff are you useing?
Kriss

posted on 28/10/10 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Are you bike engine in addition to your mx5 diff?

I have a bog standard 3.62 sierra 4x4 rear LSD diff . My car always made a very loud metal on metal knock when put in gear, but this is more solid and not related to changing gear.

Any other suggestions and bedt practice for removing the front section of the prop and flange/sprocket adaptor

chunky2772

posted on 28/10/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
my bec is powered by a k8 2008 gsxr 1000 my prop shaft is a two part with center bearing. my car is a new build chriss gibbs locost roadster! my mx5 diff has got a little play in the flange (i,e, you can move the flange on the diff left to right about 10mm before the rear wheels move if you know what i mean) im sure this play in the diff is causing the bang in the rear section of the car. when you lift off the gas the sudden stop on the prop sort of rebounds the flange on the diff causing that loud bang im sure this is the cause of mine. with engine switched off please try pushing your car back and forwards when in gear and listen for a slight knocking from the diff. let me know if you hear that slight knock as this will also confirm why mine is doing the same as yours
adithorp

posted on 28/10/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Is this noise worst than it used to be? I seem to remember you posting about it before.

Is the diff' solid mounted (as most are)? That means that any noise/vibration from the transmission transfers directly to the chassis and is amplified by the paneling. When you come off the gas in a BEC the lack of flywheel on the engine means the back lash in the transmission is taken up quicker giving a bigger knock.

Have you had any other BEC owners in the car. That'd give some idea of whether this is unusual.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Kriss

posted on 29/10/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
the bang when lifting off the gas when in gear and the car is moving has never been there before and is very pronounced.

The lower gears and selecting 1st from N has always been loud, and is also loud compared to an R1 MK and Busa Westfield.

Yes the diff is hard mounted straight to the chassis, no bushes.

I think the slack in the diff has got worse following some fairly hard laps at the ring a few months back

checking int eh transmission begins tomorrow!!!

Kriss

posted on 30/10/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
OK, so the diff has oil, the diff mounts look fine, all the bolts are in and have not moved, the prop is running round and round smoothly.

Im lost!

adithorp

posted on 30/10/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
With the car either on the ground or supported with the handbrake on, in neutral, turn the prop' as far as you can by hand in one direction. Then turn it the other way.

How much does it turn?

Thats the back-lash. It'll feel worse/more than it is so measure it. Some of it will be in the driveshafts but that should be hardly anything and you'll only just see it (multiplied 3x at the diff input) if the shafts are OK. The rest is in the diff'. Sierra diff I'd expect less than 5mm at the diff input (propshaft).

adrian

adrian

Kriss

posted on 1/11/10 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
hi adi, when turning the prop there is a good chunck of rotation available. I would say it turns 1CM, maybe more when grabbing the prop.
adithorp

posted on 1/11/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
That sound a lot for a Sierra diff (freelander ones have a fair bit) and would account for the knock. As you shut off all that play is taken up.
Try marking/measuring how much there is. It always feels more by hand. Is there any movement/play in the driveshafts?

adrian

Kriss

posted on 1/11/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
sure, whats the best way of measuring?

was thinking of drawing top dead centre inline with the top middle of the diff, handbreak on, then turning till I feel load again.

adithorp

posted on 1/11/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, thats about it. Mark (Tip-ex) a point on the flange against a fixed point on the diff then lock the wheels (handbrake on) and turn the prop as far as possible to take up the play (don't force it) and measure the distance.

adrian

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/11/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Kriss. Was wondering if you'd got any further on this?
MikeR

posted on 20/11/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
if you read his next thread, he's found that one of the bolts is tight, but not clamping the diff. The mounting hole on the chassis appears to be larger than the bolt.
mistergrumpy

posted on 20/11/10 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ah. I'll look now. I get the odd sporadic look on here on my Blackberry so some threads get looked over. Cheers matey.
Neville Jones

posted on 21/11/10 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
If the diff is solid mounted, then start at the diff, and work outwards, checking for broken tubes and/or welds.

All those shock loads have to do something, and eventually every solid mounted diff will either break the mount at the diff, or one of the mounting tubes or lugs, wherever they may be.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.