Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: removing datatool alarm?
chunky2772

posted on 29/10/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
removing datatool alarm?

i have a k8gsxr1000 bec and want to remove the factory fitted datatool alarm from the wireing harness! can i just trace every wire from the alarm and just cut it out or do i need to re join some of the wires i cut? my problem is i payed a visit to gosforth iva test center today and the tester told me all that has to work when egnition is off is the hazards but when i try to wire a permanant live to hazards it keeps triggering the alarm so the alarm has to come out to do this! i look forward to you replys.
cosmick

posted on 29/10/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Why I Chunky,

If it is a Datatool alarm, it would not be a factory fitted item. It will interfere with the alarm because the indicators flash when arming or disarming the alarm.
Most alarms will be wired via the fuel pump and/or starter relay. You will have to trace the wires and disconnect the indicator wires that T into the alarm. also if you want to remove the alarm altogether, disconnect the 2 wires that go to the fuel pump and rejoin together. same for the starter relay. You should still have my phone number if you need to talk.

cosmick

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

speed8

posted on 29/10/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosmick

If it is a Datatool alarm, it would not be a factory fitted item.

cosmick

Don't necessarily agree with that. Triumph use datatool. No reason why others wouldnt use rebranded or branded datatool.

fazerruss

posted on 29/10/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speed8
quote:
Originally posted by cosmick

If it is a Datatool alarm, it would not be a factory fitted item.

cosmick

Don't necessarily agree with that. Triumph use datatool. No reason why others wouldnt use rebranded or branded datatool.

yes my Triumph ST has a data tool alarm fitted by the dealer but is designed to fit without chopping wires. Its on the options list for the bike from Triumph

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/10/10 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
In the true style of LCB may I answer your question with something completely different!

Your alarm is detecting voltage drop from the indicators, and getting upset.

If you fitted LED indicators then maybe the voltage drop would be smaller and slip under the radar of the datatool.

This is a completely untested idea, and I don't know whether it would work. You would need to change the relay to an electronic timer based one too (otherwise the flashing frequency is wrong).

Just a thought,

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/10/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
And another thing.

Does the alarm going off when stationary with the engine off actually matter? Could you disable the noise maker.

Matt

chunky2772

posted on 30/10/10 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
The reason why i say this alarm is factory fitted is tha the wires from the alarm connect to the block connectors and are not joined into the wires on the wireing harness (all wires from the alarm are black and go to a yellow block connector then these wires come from this yellow block conector and split off to different connectors on the wireing harness when im trying to trace the indicator feed to the alarm. the alarm wire does not splice onto the indicator like most aftremarket alarms both wires connect to different positions on the block connector this is why i think this is a factory fitted alarm!)
twybrow

posted on 30/10/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
The alarm cuts cuts some of wires in the ignition system. use the wiring diagram and follow the wires that come out of the yellow block... You will find between the incoming and outgoing wires will be the alarm. Re connect them directly together and remove the wires... Mine took all of 2 mins to bypass...
cosmick

posted on 30/10/10 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Suzuki did not fit a factory alarm but datatool may have made a plug in system. If it is a plug in type, there should be a live and an earth picked up from one of the connectors. the same connector has a fuel pump in and fuel pump out. these need to be joined together if you are removing the alarm. as for the indicators, they would normally be connected at the back of the motorcycle so look for a plug that goes to a light green wire and a black wire. this is left and right indicator.

cosmick

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

chunky2772

posted on 31/10/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
thanks lads but ive had to get an auto elec, to come out monday i havent got the confidence to diconect this i nearly cut the whole yellow block out yesterday im so pleased i dident as the auto sparky told me that would of caused him a load of hastle.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.