Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch line routing
ruudbeckers

posted on 1/11/10 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch line routing

I decided to fit a hydraulic clutch to my car, so I have made an aluminium adapter to fit a Mondeo clutch cylinder to the type 9 gearbox. However, now I am a little bit stuck on how to route the hydraulic line.

First I wanted to use a banjo on the top of the cylinder so the hydraulic line can go through the side of the bellhousing, but I think the top of the salve cylinder is not flat enough and the banjo will leak. Are there other ways to make this tight turn?

I rather not go through the top of the bellhousing because than te routing outside the bellhousing will be awkward.

Does anyone has an idea on how best to route the hydraulic line? It has to go from the red arrow to the blue arrow.

I mounted the bleed pipe at the top. Is this really needed? If not, I could rotate the entire slave cylinder. I have seen a picture (Picture) of the bleed pipe at the bottom, but I wonder if you can bleed the clutch properly this way.

Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder

2cv

posted on 1/11/10 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering if there is room to insert the slave cylinder through the redundant clutch lever arm hole in the bellhousing. If you can do this you could bleed the system before fitting it and then it won't matter where the bleed nipple is
ruudbeckers

posted on 1/11/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with that solution is that you have to remove the engine everytime you want to bleed the clutch.
jollygreengiant

posted on 1/11/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I drilled a hole in the bell housing, fitted a flexy hose to the slave and hard mounted the other end of the flexy via a bracket onto the engine block. JD.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

2cv

posted on 1/11/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
This is not uncommon with a concentric slave cylinder. I believe the Discovery unit comes ready piped and bled with the master cylinder and supplied as one piece. Expensive!

Can you envisage a need to bleed the clutch system once the car is together and on the road? I would have thought that once bled you could forget about it. It's not something, I would have thought, that would need to be done on a regular or even isolated occasion.

blakep82

posted on 1/11/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
bearing in mind your car looks to be left hand drive, i'de have a garage make up a rigid copper (or whatever) pipe made up to tak it round to where the fulcrum pin should be, and use the fulcrum pin hole to P clip it in place.

drilling a hole in the bell housing won't be a problem.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.