Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laptop Screen Help
DorsetStrider

posted on 1/11/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Laptop Screen Help

hiya guys,

I know a lot of you are into IT in one form or another so I was hoping to pick your brains.

My mother managed to smash her laptop screen today. The laptop work but the screen is mosaiced, bit like a broken calculator.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get a new screen and fit it? I have built a few pc's but never done anything with laptops.

Hoping for a locost solution as with christmas coming up she doesn't really want to have to fork out for a new laptop.

Oh for the record it's a Dell Inspiron I beleive.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

blakep82

posted on 1/11/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
you can get screens off ebay for about £60. 'should' be a case of unplugging the one thats broke and plugging the new one in. never done it myself though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RichardK

posted on 1/11/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Seem to be plenty on the bay for about £60 which usually indicates its not too bad a job, done a few acers and tosh's but never a dell. Hardest part is finding out haw everything un clips without breaking anything, try taking it apart to see how difficult it is, nothing lost in trying I guess.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dmac

posted on 1/11/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
its usually quite easy for a diy'er, main thing is to get the correct instructions. a quick google for "dell inspiron screen replacement" brings up a variety of help, compare these with the laptop you have to make sure it is the correct model and give it a go.

Duncan

mookaloid

posted on 1/11/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
no problem - just take it slowly and work out how it all comes apart - usually lots of screws of different lengths.

just a question of patience

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

simonwinn

posted on 1/11/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just replaced the covers on my inspiron, which requires the complete removal from the base. Not a complicated job, as above i googled "dell screen replacement" and this brings up loads of results and online guides. I saved £110 on the price quoted by Dell by doing it myself.
big_wasa

posted on 1/11/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be coverd by the house insurance ?
scottfraser

posted on 1/11/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Dell Vostro 1310, and had to have it in components a few times. Surprisingly it's really easy.

Here's a link that talks about swapping the screen

Scottlink

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.