Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bought a E36...
tug

posted on 7/11/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Bought a E36...

...the build should start soon.

Too bad I have to take a part the 325td, because the sound of that turbo is just orgasmic

//Just a note on what I am building.

It is for a school project (first year of master in mechanical engineering). We have to design/build a chassis, suspension and attach the engines (hybrid). The rest will be done during the summer(not for a grade) and next year for last year of masters.

From the E36 we are taking:

1. Differential
  2. Direction
  3. Windshield
  4. Brake
  5. Hubs
  6. Half shafts

Then we are adding a Hayabusa motor coupled with a HiPer AC50 motor(60hp). With a battery pack that should last 30miles on electric mod.

Chassis design is not done, we have to make modifications. Make is thinner (right now it is WAY to wide), make the cross bar in the middle disappear, since we want to have a swappable battery pack. And make sure everything fits nicely.

The suspension is going to be push-rod, probably with Bilstein shocks/spring. There is still a few modifications to do since we just bought the E36, we weren't sure before where we were going to have the mounting points on the hubs.

If you have any question or comments please feel free to as. As this is going to be presented to my teachers in March, I need to be ready.

[Edited on 7-11-10 by tug]

prawnabie

posted on 7/11/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I like the logitech pedals!
prawnabie

posted on 7/11/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I like the logitech pedals!
tug

posted on 7/11/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
It was just to see how much room that was going to take. Like the suspension it is far from being perfect (not even attached).
Paradoxia0

posted on 7/11/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of electric in there too, is this to use with the petrol engine for extra power or as an eco friendly option?

Are you planning on putting bodywork on leaving it fairly open like an Atom?

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

tug

posted on 7/11/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paradoxia0
I like the idea of electric in there too, is this to use with the petrol engine for extra power or as an eco friendly option?

Are you planning on putting bodywork on leaving it fairly open like an Atom?

Mark

It is for both power and have a better mpg.

I've wanted to buy a hybrid sport car for 4 years now. Finally got around drawing blue prints last year. But it was still way before main stream car builders displayed their models. ie, Porsche 918, many Citroëns and I don't feel like naming all the other ones as the list is getting long now days. It seems that car builders will be going this way in the future (maybe 5years will be common).
Since I'll be looking for a job soon. I want to stand out when they hire me

The body will be Tesla roadster inspired. But the front will have headlights of the Peugeot 207 or 308. I know it'll be a lot of work to do the body. But I will dedicate next summer (3 months) to do it full time.

tug

posted on 7/11/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I love those rims : (I used to have them on my 3000gt VR4, looked so good)

5zigen fn01r-c

[Edited on 7-11-10 by tug]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.