Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay 2 post garage lifts experience?
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 8/11/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay 2 post garage lifts experience?

I'm considering buying a two post lift from Ebay so that I can store my Phoenix above my other car in the garage, and use it for working on the car.
I will need to check if they can be left up for long periods, but even if they can I thought I'd get a couple of back up joists just in case. If they can't then I'd lower the car to the back up joists.
I had also figured I'd lock the tops of the posts in place by attaching to the RSJ accross the garage ceiling as I don't want to rely on balance!
Cannot afford a 4-post one.
Has anyone any experience of these "domestic" post lifts?
Cheers
Ed

carpmart

posted on 8/11/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
It would be useful to supply a link to the one you are referencing so we can offer specific advice.

A couple of builders acro props would stop any unwanted descending!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 8/11/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Good point!
SUPERB BRAND NEW RAMP 2 POST LIFT ELECTRO-HYDRAULIC on eBay (end time 23-Dec-10 17:08:41 GMT)

These are the cheapest ones and don't seem that different from ones that cost up to around £500 more.

And good idea on the acro props, that would save me welding!

Bluemoon

posted on 8/11/10 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Foundations would be my biggest worry..
Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Foundations would be my biggest worry..

Mine too... the floor would almost certainly need beefing up

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

matt_gsxr

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ed,

This sounds like a good solution.

If it is rated at 3200kg, and your car weighs 450kg then I suspect it should be strong enough.

Worth requesting a copy of the installation instructions before purchasing.

Might be worth checking that it can go low enough to get under your car!

Matt

hobbsy

posted on 8/11/10 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I wouldn't mind of one these except I haven't go the height to fit it in as its almost 3 metres tall.

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 8/11/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers gents.
There are shorter versions available IIRC.
The floor of the garage is concrete, but it might be a good idea to mount them onto a plate first to spread the load.
Regarding the height of the Phoenix, I wouldn't be averse to modding the ends of the arms of the lift, or perhaps use a set of ramps before trying to get them under.
So far I'm glad noone has said 'don't do it they explode and kill hedghogs for fun'.
Another thought on the foundations is that they look larger than the footprint of the car tyre contact patch, so only self weight has to be catered for?
Cheers
Ed

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 8/11/10 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Also, note the idea of locking the tops to the garage RSJ if that was the foundations concern.
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 8/11/10 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
And... sorry for going on... but if anyone else is interested, some lifts (and perhaps all) require a higher rated supply, ie a cooker rated plug for power, so that may mean budgeting for a sparky.
Canada EH!

posted on 8/11/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
The ones sold here (North America) have a locking system to prevent the lift falling. To bring the car down a handle is held which pulls the metal locks away. They are a triangle of steel with a spring attached, as the lift goes up the triangle is rotated on a bolt, as the lift passes the triangle is pulled back in place by the spring, if the lift fails it falls onto the triangle which prevents further movement. There are several of these on both posts.
Bluemoon

posted on 8/11/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Note the extra foundations are probably required to stop it falling over rather than the downward load ( for a two post lift the leverage is rather high if you think about it).. I wonder if you could make an H frame that sits/bolts to the garage floor and to the to the base with the H being longer than the car if you see what I mean. Please think about this carefully as I am not a structural engineer! Your RSJ idea might work to stop this but you will need to do the calcs, hate to see the walls falling down! Also the RSJ needs sufficient clearance to allow the car on the lift?

Note you concrete floor could be very thin slab (it's only supposed to support a car weight not sidewards loads).

Dan

[Edited on 8/11/10 by Bluemoon]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/11/10 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Most of these lifts are bloody wide as well. aboout 3.5meters. No way i'd get one in my garage

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 8/11/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
It's tempting hey?
The RSJ here is really over specced cos I wanted to use the loft space for storage.
It is actually a double garage but with electric doors and used daily.
Would you believe I have to let my wife use the other half! For her car! Honestly!

prawnabie

posted on 8/11/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Arnt they usually 3 phase too?

I sold a 2 poster on here last year and I had a snotty U2U back from the guy saying he had to fork out £600 to convert his garage to 3 phase!

MikeR

posted on 8/11/10 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
these do state single phase in the advert.
prawnabie

posted on 8/11/10 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Mike didn't look at the link! anyway should you be out buying up all the cillit bang?
mark chandler

posted on 8/11/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
They all should come with lock stops, so no worries there.

If three phase make up a convertor from an old 3 phase motor and some capacitors, you may need extra ones for startup.

chrisspartan

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure u have thought of this but have u got an up and over door? Always a nightmare when storing stuff high up.
andrew.carwithen

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC Chris Mason had a 2 post lift (single phase) listed on here in the 'For Sale' section about a month ago.
Reckon he should be able to give you the info you require (maybe send him a pm? )

cosworthspeed10

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitsilly
I'm considering buying a two post lift from Ebay so that I can store my Phoenix above my other car in the garage, and use it for working on the car.
I will need to check if they can be left up for long periods, but even if they can I thought I'd get a couple of back up joists just in case. If they can't then I'd lower the car to the back up joists.
I had also figured I'd lock the tops of the posts in place by attaching to the RSJ accross the garage ceiling as I don't want to rely on balance!
Cannot afford a 4-post one.
Has anyone any experience of these "domestic" post lifts?
Cheers
Ed

Hi Ed,

We have fitted the exact same lift in my friends barn and they are great. A couple of things to mention tho is that the powder coating is terrible and flakes off, and the metal cover that covers the cables between the two posts needed alot of fettling to get them to fit properly. For the money tho you can't go wrong.

They are single phase which we plumbed into the socket ring main, as you lift the arms there is a ratchet mechanism on both sides that stop the arms coming back down if there were a hydraulic failure or mechanical failure.

The lift procedure is as follows

1) Press and hold the lift button until the car is at the desired height

2) Now press the hold button which lowers the car slightly and drops the car onto the mechanical stops. It's now safe to work under the car.

3) to Lower the car down you press and hold the lower button which lifts the car first about 2" then retracts the mechanical locks, the arms will then lower till you get to your desired height, the mechanical locks will come back out when you release the lower button.

They are also CE marked

The posts were bolted into the concrete using 14 x 16mm Anchor bolts (7 each side).

If I had the room I'd have a set tomorrow!

[Edited on 8/11/10 by cosworthspeed10]

Andybarbet

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
'Bitsilly', where are you based ? because i may be able to get you 3 or 4 acro's if your anywhere near hertfordshire ??

My dad has some left over from an extension he built years ago and as far as i know he wants them gone as they are sort of in the way. Let me know and i will give him a call just incase he has offered them elsewhere. He probably wont want anything for them.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.