Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hard Wiring TomTom
scootz

posted on 8/11/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hard Wiring TomTom

Afternoon Ladies and Gents!

I have a dock for my TomTom One which is similar to this...

I'd like to bond the dock onto one of the surfaces in my tin-top and hardwire it to the lighter feed. The dock has a fixed USB ended lead... am I right in thinking that a lead is a lead is a lead and if if I cut it, then I can still use it to connect to the live feed?

Ta muchly!

It's Evolution Baby!

Peteff

posted on 8/11/10 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have an adaptor from the auxiliary socket to USB connector to charge phone and sat nav so it must be possible to go the other way.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jossey

posted on 8/11/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea BUT.......

only issue with that is if a thieve walks past your car they will know you have a sat nav and they maybe interested in having a look through your car and leaving your window on your seat in bits.

if i park anywhere i leave my car with my glove box and my centre compartment open and nothin in the car.

touch wood never had my car broken into even though my sat nav is always in the boot with my xbox 360 and the two head rest tv's covered up and the remotes in the rear cup holder box.

dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 8/11/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
The dock has a fixed USB ended lead... am I right in thinking that a lead is a lead is a lead and if if I cut it, then I can still use it to connect to the live feed?

No, USB uses a 5v supply rail. If you connect this directly to your 12v car supply you'll be looking for a new SatNav pretty quickly. USB power converters for us in cars are common and quite cheap however.

Neil2004
Contributor

Posts 44
Registered 21/1/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Purchased Sylva Star, updating with Zetec engine,

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased a vent mount kit from a company called Brodit and then had this hard wired in. Below is a link. The benefit of the kit was that the mount looked like a car phone mount once the Tom Tom had been removed. Also it did not damage the dash and was easily removed when I changed cars. This is not a 'Locost' solution as you have to purchase the mount and possibly pay for the hard wiring, but I found this a very good solution.

http://www.mountonus.com/

scootz

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys... !!!

And thanks Mike - I had noticed the difference and planned to step it down, but a reminder will do no harm!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
These are only a tenner on eBay, so probably worth it over the hassle of making a fused-box myself. Would still have to cut off the USB ends to connect onto the hardwire from the dock, but that's a 2 minute job.

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.