Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hypermiling!
PSpirine

posted on 9/11/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hypermiling!

Long term mixed average (mostly commute half 60mph on a B-road, half M40) has so far been 42mpg (over about 12 months)

Some smooth low rev driving, tyres pumped up slightly, slightly slower (still 60 on B road, and now 56ish on a motorway!) and mild lorry drafting: 420 miles - 394 miles adjusted for speedo inaccuracy, 33.17 litres topped to brim - Overall total:

54mpg!
(sat nav verified), tank topped up to 10 clicks (so as full as it's going to get).

Not the highest number, I know, but for a 10 year old 1.3 petrol hatchback, I'm pretty impressed especially as it's about 25% better than normal! Pretty chuffed as money's not been favourable to me lately, and an extra 100 miles out of that puny tank is quite an achievement - gotta find some good!

mcerd1

posted on 9/11/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
not bad, but I can top that... (what car is that ?)

my old 106 used to get ~37 mpg day to day - but motorways were a different story, in one trip down the M6 I got 55 mpg (and that included 40 miles of fun twisty road in 2nd and third gear )
and that was a 15 year old car with 100k on it and 4 speed gearbox and a single choke carb (ok it was only a 954cc but still)

[Edited on 9/11/2010 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 9/11/2010 by mcerd1]

-

PSpirine

posted on 9/11/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry should've said.. 1.3 Nissan Micra K11 - 1.3 litre engine isn't that asthmatic either!
loggyboy

posted on 9/11/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
thats as good as im getting out of my (supposed) eco Volvo driving at sub 70mph on 80% m/way tank (about 600 miles to tank)
Mark Allanson

posted on 9/11/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
My company7 car id a Peugeot 107 1.0 urban (urbane?), it is supposed to get 72mpg extra urban, but I can only get 53mpg doing 60-70mph on A roads and dual carriage ways - A bit disapointing as I do 4-500 miles per week and pay for my own fuel.

I have been offered a 1.3 diesel Ford Ka, but I don't suppose it will do much better.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

morcus

posted on 9/11/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
If I drive like I don't want to get to my destination I can get close to 50mp out of my Panda, and thats on Petrol with a semi auto box in auto mode (With eco mode turned on of course, and some subtle reminders from me to actually change gear). The New Ka is basically the same car so with the 1.3 diesel (A FIAT unit I believe) you might be able to get a couple more MPG but not noticably.

The old record was set in a Citreon AX diesel and was about 110, I believe that was broken by Peugeot in the 308 and I believe both were unmodified. Google Hypermiller and there appears to be all kinds of crazy stuff you can do to push the figures up.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

MikeR

posted on 9/11/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Drove back from London early one evening. In no rush so before I got on the motorway reset the trip computer. Once on the motorway I set the cruise on at 60 (so about 56 in reality). Sat in with the trucks and 95 miles later once i was home had the fuel consumption computer reporting i'd got 83mpg. This was from a 60k mile 2.0 135bhp focus diesel.

I regularly get low 50's on a motorway journey doing between 70 and 80 (so 75 max according to sat nav).

Last journey was 120miles, mix of a, b and motorway. At lot of that crawling on the motorway or the A / B roads near the motorway. Averaged 65mpg (although I was trying to get decent mpg to stave off boredom).

flak monkey

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Normally my chipped diesel Leon (190bhp) averages around 50mpg on the 17mile trip to work. Lots of roundabouts and a fair stretch of open dual carriage way really pull it down.

On a longer run down to Dartford I have had it up to 67mpg.

My sister has had over 75mpg from her Golf GT TDI 130.... mostly A road driving 40-50mph stuck behind lorries.

All good fun once in a while...but boring if you drive like it all the time

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

UncleFista

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm crap at it

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

BigFaceDave

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get my 1997 Passat TDI (110bhp) just over 70 (70.1 to be exact) all back roads and country lanes and thought I was doing well but seems that I have been beaten! not bad considering its done 217k!
JonnyS

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Usually get around 60mpg on A Roads/Motorway at 70mph in my BMW 118d.

Once managed 90mpg out of it. It involved accelerating gently to a little more than 70 down long hills then losing speed up them to around 60mph and drafting... i.e. as much time with a small throttle as possible.

scudderfish

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I got 16mpg out of my Fury. Is that any good?
tomgregory2000

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I get about 28mpg going no faster than 60mph on the motorway (it is a defender with a lower ratio transfer box than it should be and slightly too small tyres)
nick205

posted on 9/11/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
My old Leon Cupra 1.9 TDI 150 would easily see high 50's (trip computer) on a good steady 65mph motorway run. Record was from Manchester to Winchester at 55mph behind HGVs at 70mpg (trip computer). On the other hand if you woke it up and let it play it would easily dip to the low 30's (trip computer).

Current Passat 2.0 TDI 140 isn't too bad for such a barge of a car. Mid 50's on steady run and low/mid 40's for everyday hacking. Again toe it and it'll dip badly into the low 30's.

Next up is a V50 1.6 DRIVe or an Octavia 1.6 TDI (head says Octy, heart says Ovlov), neither fun or fast, but considerably lighter when it comes to Mr HMRC

tony-devon

posted on 9/11/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
my golf GT TDi does 45 mpg on the daily commutes, dual carriageway, roundabouts, traffic jams etc

get it up into 6th gear, sit just about 1500-1700rpm and it will return 62-65mpg dependant on weather?

sadly, gone are the days of £10 of fuel, = 100 miles, but I know that for my normal driving 1 litre in = 10 miles of driving

diesel light comes on, put fuel in, make a note of the amount, usually 16.2l (£20) and give or take 2 miles max, the light will be on after 162 miles

its boring I know, but hey I live in Devon, we have to do something to keep ourselves amused

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b16mts

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
The best I've had in my daily driver was m6/m5 from Manchester to Exeter, managed 25.4mpg, otherwise it doesn't really get above 18mpg EVER!

Hence I'm thinking of selling the legacy gtb, and goin derv. When I bought it I was doin maybe 4000 miles per year. Change of job means the 11000 last 12 months kinda hurts!!

Good fun though!!

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

mad4x4

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
My v8 Landrover 101 get about 15MPG and that;s trying to drive eco

What is a 101?

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Simon

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Grand Espace driven very carefully on a motorway gets 52mpg, normally 33.

Had 62 mph from Rover BRM (1.8vvc) when in running in, and 72 mpg from my 'busa over long set of roadworks on M4.

ATB

Simon

hughpinder

posted on 10/11/10 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
My Mrs has a bm3320d estate - gets about 47-48mpg on the A/B roads around here, 52/53mpg at 'BMW motorway speeds' and will easily top 60mpg if you stick at 65mph! All on average from actual top ups on several tanks of fuel rather than what the trip computer says(although that seems to pretty much agree)
Regards
Hugh

bimbleuk

posted on 11/11/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm still on my first fill of a Peugeot 106 1.5D and so far I've clocked 190 miles with 3/4 of the tank still left. Being unfamiliar with the gauge I don't know how linear it is but will post back the results. Except at the rate I'm adding miles it maybe a couple of weeks!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.