Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi 4.2 V8 powered Golf, nonsense??
Alez

posted on 16/11/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Audi 4.2 V8 powered Golf, nonsense??

Do you think it would be possible (within reasonable effort) to put an Audi 4.2 V8 engine off an S4 in a Golf mk2, keeping the original transmission ie front engine AWD?

I would have thought it's not but, since I saw pictures of this Rover V8 powered MX-5 mk1, I'm more convinced that sometimes this sort of thing can be done. This MX-5 (discussed years ago on this forum by a few of us including its builder) hadn't had any structural mods done, apparently the only major work required was on the exhaust piping. Now that project looks very different to the Golf one I'm wondering about, but it's the only example that comes to mind for a V8 put into a rather compact car without structural modification and without changing the engine position.

I'm thinking it would be pretty fun as a wolf in sheep's clothing. The thought comes from the fact that I have this engine in my Ultima Sports (giving around 400 bhp) and I'm very pleased about it, I'm really liking this engine.

Does the above make any sense at all?

Liam

posted on 16/11/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think packaging would be a problem. Golf is transverse engined, but to fit an audi V8 plus quattro bits from an S4 into a golf, you've got to have room for the entire engine to be infront of the front axle line. It'd probably end up sticking out the front grill!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bmseven

posted on 16/11/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's already been done

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

Alez

posted on 16/11/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
It's already been done

I would pay for a link to the project page.

adithorp

posted on 16/11/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Donno but... I saw a VW Caddy van with 2 Audi RS3 engines in this weekend.One in the front and one in the back.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

balidey

posted on 16/11/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
isn't that what was featured on Top Gear? Done by VW?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

vinny1275

posted on 16/11/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen a BMW E36 coupe, with a 4.4 V8 and manual box at a track day - went very nicely indeed!

Alez

posted on 16/11/10 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4273146
Alez

posted on 16/11/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like the fact that the original Golf has its engine transversely mounted but the S4 has it longitudinally mounted ruins the idea like Liam said Maybe putting that in an MX-5 would be easier?

[Edited on 16/11/10 by Alez]

coozer

posted on 16/11/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/

Mini with a bus engine in it

Anything is possible....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

T66

posted on 16/11/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
W12 Lupo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7o88PMGFSw

speedyxjs

posted on 16/11/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Jag V12 MGB

Linky

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Miks15

posted on 16/11/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at the chop chop version...

Not quite a V8 but they put an impreza engine and running gear in a mk2 gti. Its not quite the same thing, but its similar in terms of packaging, the V8 is no doubt a bit bigger.

Shame they ruined (IMO) the body, should have left it as an original mk2 body!

Theshed

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Best bet by far would be a Cadillac Northstar engine or Olds Aurora both quod cam V8s designed to be mounted crosswise FWD. Circa 300BHP without any turbos but supercharged engines available.
PSpirine

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Theshed, I was just thinking of the same thing.. A lot of USA cars had V8 tranny engines starting from the Toronado I believe. Beware of odd chain drive/belt drive transmissions!! :O
And a lot of these blocks/head designs are exactly the same as the ones fitted longitudinally (therefore they are a billion years old but also indestructable and with infinite bolt-on goodies)

adithorp

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
isn't that what was featured on Top Gear? Done by VW?

No this one done by Pipeworx. Very nicely done and not a bodge up. Nothing showing on the outside other than the bigger wheels to go over the larger brakes and the Carrera style Caddy stripe on the side. There was also a Polo with an RS3 engine under the bonnet and another Polo with one mid-mounted.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

martyn_16v

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a hankering to do something similar for a long time now, but I was thinking of 4.2 V8 in the front but RWD. I saw a while back someone trying something similar in a Corrado, using a Porsche torque tube and rear mounted gearbox. Last time I checked, they were at the stage of cutting up a scrapped corrado shell to see if it would all fit in before hacking up their proper car.

As has been mentioned, Audi engines stick out miles in front of the axle line. For comparison, there have been a couple of Audi I5 engines put in Golf's before, and they need a lot of work doing to the front end to make room. And that much weight that far forward is going to be understeery.

steve m

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
To the OP WHY!!!!
Liam

posted on 16/11/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at some pics, the MK2 Golf doesn't half have a long front overhang. Maybe it's doable . God knows how it'd handle though. Shove the engine as far back as possible and make it RWD would be my choice.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
S2 powered Golf, and what's left of the V8 Corrado after she made a website, decided she didn't want people looking at pictures after all so took them all down again...
TPG

posted on 22/11/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Put the engine as far back as possible,The driveshafts would have to be angling forward (Within the CV's range of course,guessing 10 degrees max'.Whats the distance from the front of the V8 to the output flange (Front wheels)of the gearbox? Measure up from the Golf front number plate to the front axle line and that'll tell you if its possible.I would of thought a space frame/rollcaged front end with 'panels hung off it.It may have to lenghten a bit,Think 16valve mini conversions where two front wings are used to make one and an arch used to disguse to extra length.I'd have a go at that for a start

..Which was nice..

bimbleuk

posted on 23/11/10 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
I've seen a BMW E36 coupe, with a 4.4 V8 and manual box at a track day - went very nicely indeed!

Anyone looking for a of V8 power in a sporty chassis then I would recommend an S2000, BMW E36 or RX7 as I did. The main reason I picked those particular cars is because they are popular in the US so have companies doing the conversions. Particularly the RX7 which has 99% of the conversion now in kit form. The E36 kit from the Samberg Rod & Custom is quite recent but includes the exhaust system which often get over looked as a major cost in any conversion. RHD does unfortunately add some complication due to some tweaking required.

Of course I've made a big assumption you would pick the LSx family of engines to provide the power due to the relatively simple but effective design. The initial cost is off putting though to many after a cheap track car which often end up needing many revisions and upgrades.

bimbleuk

posted on 23/11/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
If I said my RX7 has 415BHP and 400 lbs ft and weighs currently 1180 kgs you'd assume I was describing a highly modified car. When in reality I'm still at the basic conversion stage with certainly no engine mods applied apart from the exhaust system and a couple of K & N filters.
crafty

posted on 29/3/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
.......I found that the Audi V8 fits quite nicely in the back of a Porsche 356.

Ultima GTR - 600hp Magnacharged LS2
MNR Vortx - Supercharged R1
Porsche 356 - midmounted Audi V8

coyoteboy

posted on 29/3/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
What's the weight of that combo crafty? And was it difficult to get a box/clutch/fly to suit or did one bolt right up?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.