Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Door Sill Condensation
gingerprince

posted on 16/11/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Door Sill Condensation

Wondering if anyone can help, what with all the varied knowledge on here.

We've recently had our old wooden front door replaced with PVCu. The old door was drafty as hell. The new one is obviously very well sealed.

The problem is, there's a bit of concrete under the door, which is the back of the concrete door sill that obviously goes from the outside. This gets covered in condensation, and in just a couple of weeks it's already started to ruin the laminate floor trim, and will likely soon do the same to the floor: -

Description
Description

Obviously the old drafty door was doing a job in ventilating this area and reducing condensation, whereas now the humid in-house air is condensing on the cold stone.

What's the best way to sort this, short of running a dehumidifier 24x7?

Ta.

JoelP

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
do you notice condensation elsewhere in the house? My house is quite bad for it as there is no ventilation, so we have to open a window most days.

Cant think of a good solution, but you either need to make the step warmer, or reduce the moist air passing over it.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in a similar boat too. Forever having to redecorate.
PSpirine

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
On the subject.. what is an accepted humidity level for a house?

I've got single-glazing in mine, and in winter some windows (understandably) get condensation on them, but I wouldn't say the house is in any way damp etc.

As for the sill, my door apertures are drafty enough that it's effectively blowdrying any condensation that could form, which in itself isn't ideal.

Pavs

nick205

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Similar issues here after replacing knackered wooden windows with PVCu items. Fitting trickle vents to the window frames has helped a little, but it's still a problem in the bedrooms.

Can't think of a quick and easy solution for your step - I guess the proper solution would be to dig out the concrete and rebuild with some form of insulated cavity - hassle you don't want I'm sure!

macc man

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I know you have already laid the floor but have you considered underfloor heating? Works well in most situations and does not cost much to run.

LBMEFM

posted on 16/11/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Anywhere were warm air touches cold gloss surfaces consensation will form. Dry the area fully, use "gripfill" or simular to fit a thin strip of timber to the area then decorate to choice, Problem should go away. But as said ventilation is key, I see it all the time where clients seal up their homes and immediately condensation/dampness is an issue.
norfolkluego

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Same problems here, we've got warm air central heating (for those who don't know it, the heating doesn't have radiators it blows warm air through floor level vents into each room), works well enough but the boiler is in a moisture laden kitchen (great place to put it!). Last summer I replaced an airbrick with a man sized extractor fan, bye bye condensation problems.
Think about it moist moisture will be generated in the kitchen (cooking/boiling kettles) and the bathroom (showers/baths) make sure those are both properly ventilated (at this time of year that probably means extraction of moist air with fans).

[Edited on 16/11/10 by norfolkluego]

adam1985

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
Same problems here, we've got warm air central heating (for those who don't know it, the heating doesn't have radiators it blows warm air through floor level vents into each room), works well enough but the boiler is in a moisture laden kitchen (great place to put it!). Last summer I replaced an airbrick with a man sized extractor fan, bye bye condensation problems.
Think about it moist moisture will be generated in the kitchen (cooking/boiling kettles) and the bathroom (showers/baths) make sure those are both properly ventilated (at this time of year that probably means extraction of moist air with fans).

[Edited on 16/11/10 by norfolkluego]

Be careful that the air brick wasnt there for the air heater and make sure the new fan doesnt effect the air heater

norfolkluego

posted on 16/11/10 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Good point but we had the original boiler (1960s vintage) replaced a couple of years ago, airbrick was no longer needed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.