Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do i need a brake servo for sprint/hillclimb
TheDodge

posted on 17/11/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Do i need a brake servo for sprint/hillclimb

Hi All,

The locost build i have taken over has a brake servo fitted. Do i need a brake servo for sprints and hillclimbs? I don't want to add complexity when its not required and also it seems like the servo will be very close to the steering column.

The car won't be featherweight at it has steel floors and a crossflow installed but will be very sparsly trimmed etc.

If i ditch the servo what master cylinders should i use for a cheap/tidy install for the brake and clutch to keep the top hinged pedals?

Have seen the pedal box kits available on flea bay but i don't want floor hinged pedals.

I think the calipers are cortina if that makes a difference.

Cheers,
Rog

norfolkluego

posted on 18/11/10 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need a brake servo for Sprinting.
You do need good brakes (or mahoosive dangly bits)

RazMan

posted on 18/11/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
A lot will depend on your individual setup. Things like pedal ratio, caliper & m/c piston sizes all contribute to a balanced braking system. You shouldn't need a servo in such a light car if you use a smallish master cylinder - preferably a twin setup with bias bar to fine tune it when you start sprints or hillclimbs. Try a 0.7" rear & 0.6" front (both ish) to get you started and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.