Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should I be worried about blowing the gearbox?
PuppiesBalls

posted on 18/11/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Should I be worried about blowing the gearbox?

Should I be worries about over powering my gearbox? on the normal car which weighs 1200kgs the stock gearbox is rated to around 250hp and I will be running 300ish ~& r888's However im hoping that as the cars going to be half the weight it wont be possible to put it under the same load?
Do i need to look out for an OS Gilkin box of will my standard be okay?

coozer

posted on 18/11/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, be happy.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

alistairolsen

posted on 18/11/10 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
What box is it? Whether is will break will depend on how close to failure it was in its original application and what the failure mode is.

For instance, standard cossie 4x4 box dies at about 300bhp and because 3rd gear fails. in a locost you can still lay down 300bhp in third so it may still fail.

If the box is known for shearing the input shaft on a hard launch in a heavy car, then in a much lighter car youll probably be ok.

My Build Thread

madteg

posted on 18/11/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have been running 320BHP through a type 9 for 2 years doing track days and santapod not broke it yet, i think its because it breaks tracksion first. I am also on R888s.
peter_m7uk

posted on 18/11/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuppiesBalls
Should I be worries about over powering my gearbox? on the normal car which weighs 1200kgs the stock gearbox is rated to around 250hp and I will be running 300ish ~& r888's However im hoping that as the cars going to be half the weight it wont be possible to put it under the same load?
Do i need to look out for an OS Gilkin box of will my standard be okay?

Hiya,

The weight of the car is irrelevant, it's all about the driver's right foot! What I mean is that whether you floor the pedal in a heavy or light car, the engine is still at full load (torque), it's just that the light car accelerates harder. As for peak power (bhp), that is only used at top speed or going through the gears close to redline. So, the answer is: If you drive full throttle or top speed in either car, the box will be stressed identically. The only difference is that the light car needs less throttle to accelerate, so when accelerating either car at the same rate, the box will have it easier in the light car.

As for the engine with increased power/torque, the box will definitely be more stressed even if it's in a lighter car, unless you back off and don't use the power/torque. But there'd be no point in your bad-arse engine then!

Actually, I just thought of one qualfier to that statement. Does the 300bhp engine rev higher than the 250bhp one? In that case, you may be getting much of the extra power at really high revs, which you could avoid (again not much point!). If they rev to about the same, then the extra power is from a higher torque curve, in which case you'll definitely be hammering the box!

Pete

[Edited on 18/11/10 by peter_m7uk]

Canada EH!

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
It's torque that breaks things. Think of high HP bikes and their tiny gears and chains, but not much torque.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.