Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What surround sound system?
leemarkadams

posted on 19/11/10 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
What surround sound system?

Hello all, am looking to get a surround sound system soon and am after peoples recommendations. It will be used with an Xbox 360(HDMI), PS3 (HDMI) and V+ box (again HDMI). Now wireless rear speakers would be good (as easier to mount etc) but not essential. Oh, do not want to pay a huge amount either, say under £500.

So what do people recommend?

Thanks

Lee

monkeyarms

posted on 19/11/10 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Heres similar to what i have. My advice is to get sepreates rather than an "all in 1" system, way more flexibilty and sounds better in general.

Onkyo 508 receiver £269.95

tannoy sfx5.1 £199

blakep82

posted on 19/11/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
i've got a yamaha 5.1 amp, was about £180 from richer sounds? don't know about wireless speakers, but with the rest of the £500, you could get some nice speakers my house is all cerwin vega now

the amp#s got HDMI through puts, not sure how many though, i can't remember. also each speaker output is 100 watts rms

[Edited on 19/11/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

wilkingj

posted on 19/11/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Yamaha DSP A 970 for sale, No speakers, but would probably be more than what you need.
£50 plus postage at Cost.

Dont know if it interests you or not.

EDIT:

No HDMI ro wireless though

[Edited on 19/11/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gottabedone

posted on 19/11/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
HDMI really is a must these days but if you get an amp that doesn't have enough HDMI then consider a switching box but is must properly pass through HDMI. You can also use optical audio (spdif) from your PS3 to your amp.

Decide if you want floorstanders or wall mounted front speakers. An externally powered sub would also be a must for me.

Peruse Richer Sounds, AV Bristol and the like. Some of the all in one systems are pretty good but you won't get the sound quality of decent audio kit but you will struggle to get new kit for under £500. Try the bay for some local decent speakers that you can try first as you can sometimes find amazing bargains because someone doesn't want to post a pair of speakers.

have fun

Steve

daniel mason

posted on 19/11/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
for £500 you wont get great quality seperates, you will need decent hdmi's and a sub also. i would go for the entry level onkyo amp with hdmi switching and look for a seperate 5.1 speaker system from the bay. there is no point getting a high powered amp with say 7x 140w output and then buying a set of 40w satelite speakers! i wouuld go for standmounts at the front and a decent center (something like monitor audio BR2) and a pair of wsll mounted satelites for the rears (sound effect) i would say for £600- £650 you will gat a cracking system if you chose second hand speakers

Jasper

posted on 20/11/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself down to Richer Sounds for a nice Onyko amp with HDMI switching.

I've got a decent one year old set of these I'm selling for a family member whose getting rid of them:

Speakers

Yours for £50 including postage, which will leave plenty for a good amp. I've got a set at home and they are very good. I wouldn't bother with wireless speakers.

Also selling his amp, which would do the job, but more fiddly than an HDMI amp, nice quality though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-RX-V361-Audio-Amplifier-silver/dp/B000U1ZWC0

Yours for £80.

[Edited on 20/11/10 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Jasper

posted on 23/11/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Always gets me, posts like this. Ask for advice, lots of people spend time writing responses and offering advice and even stuff to sell, and not a word from the original poster.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

McLannahan

posted on 23/11/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Always gets me, posts like this. Ask for advice, lots of people spend time writing responses and offering advice and even stuff to sell, and not a word from the original poster.

Steady Jasper - it's only a few days! Good offer of yours though...If I had the money and space I'd be snapping that all up!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.