Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what is it about ebay buyers from portugal?????
will121

posted on 24/11/10 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
what is it about ebay buyers from portugal?????

ive had a bit of a garage clear out and listed a few bits on ebay, had a couple of questions from one person if i would post to portugal, then have now recieved a bid from another person from portugal on a different item although highlighted as UK postage only.
is it a norm to get so many questions from there??

speedyxjs

posted on 24/11/10 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the same person?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

r1_pete

posted on 24/11/10 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have had the same from several items from Italians, mainly from selling Webers!!

Had some good sales over there, even the E Type webers went there with £125 postage!!!! most of that was insurance for the £2K value.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 24/11/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
An industrial unit next to mine has a team of Portugese guys working there, always loads of scrap cars outside, aparantly they send a van full of parts back home every week, all makes, all models.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

MikeRJ

posted on 24/11/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
It seems many Europeans now simply ignore "UK only" on auctions and bid anyway. Time wasters
carpmart

posted on 24/11/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I sold my Fury to an agent who shipped it on behalf of his client to Portugal. Very simple transaction and all above board.

This was my experience but as ever, buyer beware!

[Edited on 24/11/10 by carpmart]

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

charliemouse

posted on 24/11/10 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
My Portugese experience...

For what its worth:

Advertised my Works Replica Mini Copper S on eBay a couple of years ago. Guy from Portugal asked if ok to bid - I said sure as long as he paid and collected.

He bid well into 5 figures to win - only ever having seen the pictures. Sent the money, having never met me or even spoken on the phone. I found him a delivery firm - he paid them too and they collected a couple of days later.

Got an e-mail a week later to say how delighted he was (I wouldnt have sold if I hadnt needed the cash - would love it back )

So - get the cash in your bank and get them to pay carriage - Portugese money as good as anyone elses?

Charliemouse

[Edited on 24/11/10 by charliemouse]

jossey

posted on 24/11/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
You can set preferences to stop people outside uk seeing your item.

Dj

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wee T

posted on 24/11/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Europe

I can't see the problem cash is cash.I have an Italian lad coming tomorrow to collect a car from me which he's bought on pictures and my word.
hillbillyracer

posted on 24/11/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I sold a set of R1 throttle bodies to a lad in Portugal, I had to ask for payment a couple of times but there were no other problems. I also sold a Honda VTEC engine & box to a lad from Italy, he paid for the courier & a bit extra so I'd pack it well given the distance it had to go, he was very good to deal with, better than the average UK buyer!
yorkshire-engines

posted on 24/11/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Portugal i love the place i send approx 40 engine there every month mainly 600s and never had a problem
they pay up front sometimes haggle a bit most are vat registered so dont even have to sort that out as well

sell loads to spain france italy as well more than i do in uk

also i have a guy that comes every mont in a 40 footer crammed with everything you can think of even had a pr of porsche wheels in the cab with him
he takes it all back n sells it makes a killing he does

HappyFather

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Might not be the only reason, but at least this one is true.

UK has a "dream" taxation on cars (although road tax is very high, for what I understood). So they are sold as new very cheaply there. So, you also sell the car bits at a very low price. Since most parts can be reused on LHD cars, seems good for refurbished parts.
An example on cars price. A Ford Fiesta new with 1200cc goes for about 16.000EUR (13.000GBP).

Other than that, for classical cars, UK is also a kind of heaven since you built or still have lots of the most beautiful and cherished cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I bet there are other reasons for the high interest some of you have noticed. But I don't know them since I'm not inside the car market. I'm just an IT guy that is (slowly) building a kit car.

As with people from any other country, some may have great experiences, some bad. I hope most are good. And never forget that a bank transfer is the safest way for you to get money since once on your account, it can't be taken back.

Oh, yes... Portuguese people love to haggle... I hate haggling, but I'm the oddball.

Have fun!
HappyFather

Puzzled

posted on 24/11/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Always makes me laugh -- UK Bidders only --- Removes potential for bids from a much bigger market.
UK does"nt have the monopoly on honesty. The only time I got stung on E bay was by a Brit. Took him
to court and presently He"s the subject of a CCJ. Good job Guinness will always sell to UK !!!!!!!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/11/10 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
I would rather sell to europe than some chav in brum end of story.......

all the non payers have been brits

Benzine

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
If there was a tickbox to prevent people from Yorkshire bidding I honestly would use it

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.