Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: lightest wheels
swampy

posted on 24/11/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
lightest wheels

which are the lightest 6x 13 inch alloy wheels available?

How are Mini-lites in comparison

Cheers

Benzo

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
as for cost over lightness i think comp. cxr's are one of the lightest, image next i imagine but they are 3 times the price!

comps are around £90 a rim in 13x6

carnut

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you move up to 15" OZ superleggera's are 4.6kg each which is pretty light.
I have some for sale on ebay at the moment.

hobbsy

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Mike Barnby 3 piece wheels as fitted to the older R500's. Magnesium centres, ally outers. Fronts are 13x6.5, rears are 13x8.5 but TBH you can tailor width and offset to suit by buying new rims.

~3.4Kg each (depending on width) but you have to / should get them crack tested once a year.

Oh and they aren't that cheap. Stuart Taylor (Ian Gray) was selling some other 3 pieces wheels for about £200 each some time ago but I've never seen set - supposed to be similar kind of weight though

[Edited on 24/11/10 by hobbsy]

steve m

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
The lightest wheels i had were the original steel ford fitment ones (build wheels)
they were a lot lighter than the lumps of concrete i have on my car at present !

scootz

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Barnby's... weigh burger all!

It's Evolution Baby!

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
For comparison only, I weighed my 1970's genuine Wolfrace 6x13's, and they come out at 6.2 kgs each.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
OEM Wheels are usually lighter than most aftermarket wheels... they are also dirt cheap.

I'm going to run mine on Puma/Focus alloys as they are cheap, good quality and lightweight.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
hobbsy

posted on 24/11/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure they'll be as light as decent motorsport aftermarket alloys like your Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's or OZ Superleggeras.

There are of course exceptions. The Citroen C5 alloys that looks like steels are a good one - they are sub 5Kg in 15x7 (ish) and are a Ford RWD offset (ET18 IIRC)

But I know what you mean if you buy the cheap Halfrauds specials alloys - I picked one up in store once and it must have weighed about 3 times what I was expecting!

franky

posted on 25/11/10 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I think the lightest wheels you can get without going for magnesium ones are the oz ultraleggera range(replacement for the superleggera).

I once had magnesium wheels on a trackbike, I sent them off for a paint and got them back with a 20mm hole drilled in them as they were cracked and it was dymags policy to do so if they were found to be defective

bimbleuk

posted on 25/11/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Mazda production alloy wheels on the early MX5 and RX7 are particularly light. There are some from the MX5 known as "hollow spokes" which are the lightest but obviously not 13".

When I was after wheels I wanted to buy some Superlite GTRs from the company below. Allegedly a particularly light version of the classic Minilite. I couldn't find any stocked here so settled for some custom made Superlites in Gloucester. Then Demon Tweeks sold them later under license.

Superlite GTR - alloy wheels

[Edited on 25-11-10 by bimbleuk]

MikeRJ

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Force Racing wheels are very light and very nice looking. I don't know if they do anything other than mini PCD (4" ) though.

[Edited on 25/11/10 by MikeRJ]

hobbsy

posted on 25/11/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
There are some cast wheels made in the States that are lighter than OZ Super/Ultraleggeras but annoyingly only come in Honda PCD.

If you were happy to "modify" them then they are fairly cheap for the weight from what I remember (certainly when the dollar was 2 to the £)

I'll try and dig them out...

swampy

posted on 25/11/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys checking them all out shame all sites dont spec weights and prices hay
hobbsy

posted on 25/11/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
www.wheelweights.net has a spreadsheet (used to be a PDF) of weights (but not prices)

Although some of them seem a bit out it gives you a rough idea.

Also as its a US site it is a bit US model orientated.

procomp

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The lightest ones available for the application your looking at are the genuine Ford RS rims. Aftermarket it's - alleycats - genuine mini-lights but need to be checked for damage or the compomotive CXR'S which have the advantage of being available in the different offsets you may require as used on some of our cars and i can supply at the right price.
3pc rims are not allowed in the championship.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
swampy

posted on 26/11/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Matt,
How much is a set?

Desperate to loose weight especialy in the right areas..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.