Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trackers in company vehicles
locosaki

posted on 27/11/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Trackers in company vehicles

Quick technical question here.

How would you kill the power to a tracker in a works van so that it would not read ?

Is it a simple as pulling the fuse ?

BenB

posted on 27/11/10 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I imagine they have battery back-up (certainly the anti-theft trackers do). And pulling the power might well activate an alarm. You could try degausing it@?
loggyboy

posted on 27/11/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
They will know, and then you'l get repremanded/sacked.
Just dont drive like a twat or drive where/when you shouldnt.

fesycresy

posted on 27/11/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
We had a guy tampering with his tracker, they were too easy to access. So we complained to the tracker company and they came out and re-installed it in the depths behind the dash!

I assume he just picked up a local permanent 12v, so unless you cut the wire / pull the tracker fuse, I can't see how you would do it.

Loop the feed to the dash with a toggle switch? But when the system shows repeat power failures and the tracker company investigates, you're fuct.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

gavin174

posted on 27/11/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
a tracker is there so the vehicle can be recovered if stolen..

it cannot be used to momitor your movements..

unless you sign to say it can.

invassion of privacy etc etc..

european court and all that...

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

jacko

posted on 27/11/10 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
A little tip if you do stop it working you MUST start it again very very close to where you stopped it
don't ask how i know a tracker is there so the vehicle can be recovered if stolen..

I believe this is right
[Edited on 27/11/10 by jacko]

[Edited on 27/11/10 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 27/11/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say there really not worth tampering with but..

There is atleast a 12v permenant feed to the tracker, and an ignition live aswell.
The permenant 12v feed keeps the internal rechargable battery charged, so if its disconected and the tracker is not removed it logs everywhere its been until its connected up again (possibly using GSM mobile technology rather than the GPS aerial)

So basically, you'd have to remove the tracker completely and leave it onsite or at home when your doing something you shouldn't be, it would be no good just removing the fuse or the ignition live.

Aparently people have covered or removed the GPS aerial so it appears theres a fault and out work really arent arsed to retrieve the trackers, but I bet where you've been imbetween is stil logged by the GSM side of it, if they've paid for that aswell.

Just for reference ours log every 2 mins when the engines running.

Hmm the last bit about invasion of privacy etc is interesting weather it stands when its their Vehicle, we've never been asked or made to sign anything they just steamrollerd em in 1 day, I suppose you've nothing to hide if their used sensibly.

UncleFista

posted on 27/11/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
GPS/cell phone blockers are readily available, they just plug into the 12v cigarette lighter socket (they're not much bigger than a lighter).

[Edited on 27/11/10 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

locosaki

posted on 27/11/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
GPS/Cell phone blocker.

Now I'm interested, So this would work with a tracker then ?

Never knew so a thing existed !

UncleFista

posted on 27/11/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have a hand-held cell phone blocker, it doesn't get used very often, but when it does it works great
Last time we had a family meal at pizza hut I ended up turning it on as the 4 young blokes at the next table spent all their time shouting down their phones. After much head scratching they had to go to the door to use their phones, and we got to eat in peace

As for whether they work on trackers etc. I can't really think of another use for them ?

I bought mine from DealExtreme

The one below is $21 including postage from Hong Kong.

[Edited on 27/11/10 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

MikeR

posted on 27/11/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Note the blockers are illegal in the uk.

I'm sure you'll find any tampering will be sackable. I'd be surprised (unless you work for the NHS - long story) that if you say you don't want one in your vehicle you'll find you no longer have a job.

expatkiwi

posted on 27/11/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gavin174

We have them in our vans and although I have nothing to hide we are being watched where ever we go. I know this as I got a call one day which I answered on the hands free of course and I was asked where I was and before I could answer I heard one of the office ejits answer it for me. I have also been in the office and watched all our vans move around on the big screen. Privacy my backside. There is no trust in the demolition company I work for

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

andrew

posted on 27/11/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
why do you want to disable it they are there to stop oiks taking libertys with what is not theirs,,,, you have the vehicle for work , you get paid to work , i would sack you no question ,,
expatkiwi

posted on 27/11/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew
why do you want to disable it they are there to stop oiks taking libertys with what is not theirs,,,, you have the vehicle for work , you get paid to work , i would sack you no question ,,

Aggree
I go to work to get my cash to support my family and if there is a tinsy winsy bit left over I can spend it on my car

locosaki

posted on 27/11/10 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
My firm and my vans but a few of the vans are not reading when the trackers are checked so I'm curious as to how this can be ?

Had the trackers checked and all tested but no problems found.

Andrew I hope you don't run your own firm with that attitude !!

MikeR

posted on 27/11/10 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
where are the trackers?

I know a trick in the trucks used to be to put your tea tray (metal of course) on your dashboard. Turns out they all just happened to put the tea tray ontop of the bit that contained the GPS tracker. As the metal tracker covered the GPS unit, it couldn't get a signal and report its location. Every night the driver took his stuff (including tea tray) home - therefore every time the trucks were checked, they worked fine.

Could it be something like this?

bi22le

posted on 27/11/10 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that the best way is to have a dig around and check how many antennas and locations of them. Depending on the model of tracker some use a combined GPS \ GSM some use seperate. They are both used to track your vehicle.

Depending on the number of them and location I would get a piece of lead cladding (used for roofing and insulating) and place above the antannae. This would block the signal and cut tracking. GPS \ GSM signals are often lost and not considered to be unusual. Just dont do it during office hours (It will be obvious as your van location disapears off of the tracking screen) and dont do it too often. The lead can easily be removed and hidden in the car when not needed to leaving not signs. It is also often tar backed so will be sticky!!

I used to fit lots of trackers to work and fleet vehicles and saw lots of tricks to stop them working. This seemed to to work best!!!

Dont be tempted to cut the power. They will have battery backup and will flag an alarm.

Hope that helps.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

MkIndy7

posted on 27/11/10 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't always suspect the worse then if it isin't occuring often...
The Tracker company if there leased will tell you there the best most accurate thing ever!

One of our Vans often reports its in Blackpool when you can see it parked in the yard!
My top recorded speed in a Kangoo Van is 127mph
And they often don't work at other times aswell, falsely reporting where you are or what time you started work
and often stop working for days on end and then start again, but its not worth losing out time to pull the vans off the road to sort out whats wrong with them.

Our company isisn't really bothered about their accuracy as there not for asset management, or checking who's closest to a job etc or helping you find a suppliers or justifying a bill to customers.. they are there to catch you having 5 mins too long on a lunch break when theres a big Que in the Cafe, or starting 5 mins late cos you've had to fill the windscreen washer bottle up.. because the tracker takes president over all other logical sensible reasoning because it displays in black and white!.

But admittedly if your not doing anything wrong and have nothing to hide then theres no arguement against them.

Ninehigh

posted on 28/11/10 at 04:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by expatkiwi
quote:

We have them in our vans and although I have nothing to hide we are being watched where ever we go. I know this as I got a call one day which I answered on the hands free of course and I was asked where I was and before I could answer I heard one of the office ejits answer it for me. I have also been in the office and watched all our vans move around on the big screen. Privacy my backside. There is no trust in the demolition company I work for

Sounds like you need to get your contract out and give it a good reading over. Next time remind them that the tracker is for theft recovery purposes not spying, and I might well spend my next day off actually breathing down his neck see how he feels like it.

Personally i'm not comfortable with anyone stood behind me, and the thought that it's happening by proxy would still give me that same feeling. Plus I find it a personal insult that someone has to be watching me

expatkiwi

posted on 28/11/10 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
quote:

Sounds like you need to get your contract out and give it a good reading over. Next time remind them that the tracker is for theft recovery purposes not spying, and I might well spend my next day off actually breathing down his neck see how he feels like it.

Personally i'm not comfortable with anyone stood behind me, and the thought that it's happening by proxy would still give me that same feeling. Plus I find it a personal insult that someone has to be watching me

Again this is a totally different matter, We dont have employment contracts. I know thats wrong also.They said its in our best interests that we dont but I am not to sure about that. I took my last employer to tribunal( I was not happy to do that but had no choice) and as we had no contract I was also awarded 2 weeks money capped at £350 per week to go with what I was chasing them for
Anyway back on topic now

Brian

MakeEverything

posted on 28/11/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Companies can use trackers for efficiency purposes, which become a term of employment. It has nothing to do with human rights and all that nanny state crap.

I wouldn't disable it, as some trackers send an alarm to say what their fault is, and also have a backup battery so can still send its position even without external power.

Why would you want to disable it? Tampering with it shows ill intention, and that you have something (Location or speed) to hide. If this impacted on their ability to send the nearest vehicle to a callout, then they could (in worst cases) pursue you for loss of earnings in a worst case scenario. Funnily enough, ive just seen this happen in a similar situation.

As far as contracts of employment goes, they are obliged to give you a written agreement of some description in line with employment legislation, however just because you dont have one doesn't mean that youre not employed.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

locosaki

posted on 28/11/10 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
The tracker is at the back of the drivers seat and there is 1 antenna on the roof.

From what I can tell this has 1 live feed from the battery( with a 10amp fuse ) and a ignition live (1amp fuse) the van in question has no sign of tampering, I never actually noted down the make of the tracker but will do this later. From what I'm led to believe these are old hat tracking devices now !!

Ninehigh

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
They said its in our best interests that we dont but I am not to sure about that.
Brian

Damn right it's in his best interest not to offer you a contract, because there can be anything in there and the fact that you haven't seen it doesn't mean squat, you work there thus you agree to that contract.

Actually while I think of it (sorry about this) but the last solicitor I spoke to about this also says the contract can mention a company handbook. They don't ever have to show you this, and they can change any part of this at any time without telling you and once again you agree to it or you work somewhere else.

[Edited on 28/11/10 by Ninehigh]

martyn_16v

posted on 28/11/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locosaki

Why not? If the company are supplying you a van that is clearly for work use only, and you use it out of work, not only are you breaking company policy/instruction, you're avoiding company car tax, and possibly not insured. If you had a crash on your on time and the company decided to get snotty about it, you could even find yourself charged with TWOC'ing it. Sacking people for taking the widdle with your vehicles isn't unreasonable.

Ninehigh

posted on 28/11/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
quote:
Originally posted by locosaki

Why not? If the company are supplying you a van that is clearly for work use only, and you use it out of work, not only are you breaking company policy/instruction, you're avoiding company car tax, and possibly not insured. If you had a crash on your on time and the company decided to get snotty about it, you could even find yourself charged with TWOC'ing it. Sacking people for taking the widdle with your vehicles isn't unreasonable.

True but the problem is with some people they use it to make sure you haven't made an unscheduled stop for a twix and 10 Marlboro and other similar small liberties.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.