Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: minature kit car
speedy123

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
minature kit car

At first I started out thinking I would build my son a minature kit car, but due to time and lack of space and in-experiance to engineering such a project, I would like to purchase someones project or fully built car, that i could add personal touches to.
so if anyone has a minature 7 or something along the kit car lines, Ide really appreciate a post.
thanks guys
Budget of bout £1000
But please bare in mind If no one has 1 I will defo build my own lol, even if it doesnt get finished till hes like 20 odd

[Edited on 28/11/10 by speedy123]

[Edited on 28/11/10 by speedy123]

Werner Van Loock

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
are talking about a static kit, like tamiya and airfix or a pedalcar type of kit?

Regarding the pedalcar there's a company who makes these, but they're petrol powered.

I'll have a look to find it again.

Found it, but it won't fit the budget, 3k£ ex VAT

http://www.sonic-7.com/

If it has to look similar to a seven then this might also be a possibility. Within budget this time.

eBay Item

[Edited on 28/11/10 by Werner Van Loock]

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedy123

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
yea petrol kit car im looking for, I had a look on that website lasnite but their email isnt working for some reason and couldnt find prices?
But I did order the grasshopper plans from BWE the other day so I know I do wanna build myself, so still just looking for companys that supply them in kit form instead of already pre-fabd
But 3K for that one is mad money you could buy a IVA approved car for less than that on ebay mental money lol.
still looking but not many people make them like.
also that electric powed drill kit, Im really not keen on the idea of my son sitting in a bin haha, and hada look at the vid aswell really slow, and quite dull. something should come along. HOPEFULLY!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
build a toylander LIKNY DINKY much more fun can be used on grass or off road.
speedy123

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
im a bit more enlined to go for something abit sportier, it mite just be me, cuz hey I dont know what hes gonna like when hes older, 4X4z or something sportyier,
someone mentioned to me on another topic about sticking a shell over the top of a go-kart, does anyone know of a company that produces these sorts of shells?

Werner Van Loock

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, i'm not kidding about the 3k, i've mailed them last year for an inquery as someone in belgium had a 2nd hand but didn't know what to ask for it.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedy123

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
its funny you mention that sorta money but I was doing some research and found a company who do like minature replicas of the F1 cars and they were like 17K and no no thats not a slip of the finger I mean 17 grand. mental money
cerbera

posted on 28/11/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I've seen an electric powered mini 7 on MNR's stand at a show this year. Give them a bell to find out

[Edited on 28/11/10 by cerbera]

speedy123

posted on 28/11/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
yea they start at 1500 quid befor tax.
ive decided now after all you guys help im gonna build one, it should be a labour of love not money.
thanks guys

steve m

posted on 28/11/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
"build a toylander LIKNY DINKY much more fun can be used on grass or off road. "

i built one of the landrover ones, in 1/3 scale, and it was a very easy build in MDF , total cost was about £120

And best of all is i could sit in it and drive it !!

I am only 5'3"

speedy123

posted on 28/11/10 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
as above would really like something a bit more sporty looking like the locost or a cobra?
austin man

posted on 28/11/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
here you go then

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

speedy123

posted on 28/11/10 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
here we go then... no link or anything?
M$RK_VXRD

posted on 28/11/10 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
have you seen these on the bay - Cobra Tot Rod Kit Car Hot Rod Custom Collectors Toy Car on eBay (end time 30-Nov-10 14:34:34 GMT)
speedy123

posted on 28/11/10 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
yea they well smart aint they, just not much info bout them really. it says pedal car, petrol or electric, but how like?
M$RK_VXRD

posted on 28/11/10 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
if you read the ad you get the body work only. you have to make your own chassis not that hard only has to be a simple desgin.
electric power is easy 14volt drill wired up to a 12v car battery to drive the rear wheels

or if you wanted you could get a kids pedal cart and mod it to take the shell?

[Edited on 29/11/10 by M$RK_VXRD]

posted on 29/11/10 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
If I was making one I'd look at ride on lawn mowers.

You see plenty with fubared decks. Cut off the tractor body and fit what you want on.

Paul G

l0rd

posted on 29/11/10 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have been thinking of doing the same.

Mine was going to be based on ATV parts. (at least steering and rear axle)

But they are so expensive as i want discs on the front and just the front setup and rear can get the best of £400 which i cannot justify and another 150 for tires)

You can do it a lot cheaper if you don't want discs on the front.

The rear is easy to do as you can mount a starter motor to run the rear axle spiggot.

I was thinking of using bicycle suspension or bike suspension. The rear is a bit more tricky but douable.

speedy123

posted on 29/11/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
someone I know used atv parts for the front end, he just went down his local scrappy and cut the parts off he needed and they let him have um for free like,
so as l0rd im more inclined to go for that option, and with regards to suspension, the quads ave got s/@t hot springs on them so just thinking about how to adapt to fit, or evan just putting some on for show to match up to the design of the locost.
on another topic I put that I wanted to carbon fibre the shell, looking at costs just mounting and mounting, I think ile just have to do a tiny bit of carbon lol,
with regards to a steering column im thinking a go-kart column and weld it onto the uprights of the ATV?
im just not sure how i would adapt the hubs of the ATV to take bigger wheels, would it just be a case of bigger spacers?
thanks guys keep the advice and info coming, although I do think im in the wrong section now? like I said above, its got to be a labour of love hasnt it.

Neil2004
Contributor

Posts 44
Registered 21/1/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Purchased Sylva Star, updating with Zetec engine,

posted on 29/11/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
There's one on ebay link below ntdwm;
CHILDRENS CATERHAM / LOTUS 7 KIT CAR on eBay (end time 09-Dec-10 19:34:37 GMT)

speedy123

posted on 30/11/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
yea nice init, i also found another one on there
linky dink
LOTUS 7 / CATERHAM CHILDS ELECTRIC CAR like a TOYLANDER on eBay (end time 05-Dec-10 20:01:04 GMT)
that one nicer lol
I really feel like I wanna build my own now tho.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.