Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Freedom !!
zilspeed

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Freedom !!

My neighbour decided last night that his '08 reg Mitsubishi Outlander could probably make it out in the snow.
Being a good neighbour, I helped him clear the drive.

The result was that he did get out, but dear oh dear, can we not be a bit more delicate with the throttle.

As we all know, a modern car, be it diesel or petrol, needs zero throttle to pull away.
Lift the clutch and the management will maintain idle speed regardless. Just the strategy for these conditions, especially when your street has 18" of snow in places.
Unfortunately, our man wasn't having this and insisted on giving it more than was necessary. Not too coarse, but equally it made the whole process more difficult than was necessary.

Took two of us to push him out of the tricky bit, then he needed pushing into the ruts because his big fat road tyres had cufk all traction on the looser stuff and the only place it would move forward was on the hard packed stuff in the tracks.

Job done.

Now - cut to this morning.
The zilbus - a tonne and a half of french fwd crap.

I decided I was getting out too, on my own.
Started it up and went to the rutted section which had proved tricky last night.
Flattened down all of the snow to make it equal level and firmness everywhere.
To get to this section, I have to drive up a hill and turn 90 degrees right onto it.

Moved out and manouvered onto the hill at the top of which sits this freshly prepared section.
Got the zilbus moving nice and steady, then took what we call in Scotland, a "pure mad runny" at it.
This translates into proceeding with considerably more gusto than was previously the case.

This was largely effective, but not entirely. I was still a bit stuck.

However, some gentle rocking backwards and forwards on the clutch, with zero throttle, then a tiny bit, then a tiny bit more soon had us rolling.

Result, out and moving.

Then only half a mile of main thoroughfare which has seen precisely zero snowploughing or gritting since it all started.
That was downhill though.
Quick tour of the immediate vicinity confirms that it's not hellish much better elsewhere, so we're not going far.

However, at least we now have the choice.

How is it where you all are ?

tegwin

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
10mm of snow here.... im staying well in doors.. its scary out there!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

contaminated

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
7 or 8 inches and still falling. I'm the only one in - but then I walked!

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

speedyxjs

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
10mm of snow here.... im staying well in doors.. its scary out there!

10mm??? lol

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

jollygreengiant

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sod all here in the Rushden area of Northamptonshire. Pavements have about 10mm of compacted ice and some of the side roads on estates are about the same, but other than that, I really can't understand what everbody seems to be moaning about.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Ivan

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Has never snowed here, ever so nothing for the Subi to do but go around corners and enjoy the boost. Warm, sunny but windy.
gazza285

posted on 2/12/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Bad here, drove from Huddersfield to Rotherham yesterday morning, the old Berlingo never missed a beat. Drove past plenty of stuck cars, wagons, vans etc etc.

This was the M1 at 8.30.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FFTS

posted on 2/12/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Terrible here!!!
Got about 1cm of snow and been blue skies and cracking the flags all week.

Help!!!! hehehe

Chris.

ditchlewis

posted on 2/12/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
got 100mm of snow at home and about the same at work in brentwood (55 miles away) and it is still snowing

tuesday got 30 miles in 2 hours and it was the traffic that made me turn round. (one lady took 4 hours to do 1 mile in brentwood). turned round and got back home in 35 mins and i passed 20 miles of stationary traffic going towards london. spent day working from home.

Wednesday did the 55 miles in 65 mins only 4 people in the office out of 35. one of the other guys had come 85miles.

today snowing and cant be bothered to fight the weather, so working from home and to be honest i'm getting more done here, than in the office.

had to collect one of the kids when his school closed and my 3 series is very entertaining and capable in the snow. It will get me about here and i can have tail out fun when conditions and traffic allow

ditch

HAPPY SNOW DAY

martyn_16v

posted on 2/12/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
People on the radio keep insisting that it's an absolute disaster zone around my way. It's not, it's bloody great. Motorways and main roads are all driveable, but there's no other bugger out there because of the doom-sayers. I wish it was like this all the time
02GF74

posted on 2/12/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

How is it where you all are ?

27 C and sunny ..... but that was yesterday

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.