Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: waterless coolant
andrew

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
waterless coolant

Has anybody tried the evans waterless coolant ,, or other brands , is it anygood , does it work ,, or has anybody got their own concoctions ,,,
snapper

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you read deeper into the technical it requires a different pump and radiator.
My other thought is if F1 don't use it, it will not be needed for our vehicles.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Salt --- large pinch. OAT coolant takes a lot of beating.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

adithorp

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Can you mix salt and OAT?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RazMan

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

That's called porridge dear chap

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 3/12/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
I misread and thought you'd said EVIAN, but always preferred Buxton or tap meself

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh

posted on 3/12/10 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't F1 engines air cooled?

gavin174

posted on 4/12/10 at 03:59 AM Reply With Quote
F1 engines have radiators in the side pods, I think...

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

Ninehigh

posted on 4/12/10 at 04:14 AM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, are they still pumping co2 or whatever it was while they pit? I remember them doing something like that to keep the engine cool while they pit in

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
F1 engines are liquid cooled, and have radiators in the sidepods.

The reason they stick dry ice (CO2) in is because the radiators have no fans for cooling the car whilst stationary. Said radiators are also extremely marginal because the larger they are, the more drag they offer up thus slowing the car down.

bimbleuk

posted on 4/12/10 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yes I've used it in several cars with no issue but some definite advantages. The initial cost is high but if your cooling system is functining correctly then it will last as long as the engine. Doesn't degrade the same way as conventional aqeous based coolant. I didn't have any problems with using OEM water pumps.

The cooling system works at a very low pressure and I could take the cap off any time with no risk from hot coolant escaping. My Striker with a 270BHP supercharged engine always ran with stable temps and was always very quiet after a hard run no tinking or bubbling from heat soak.

One good example of use in an extreme environment was with the Fensport cars as they used to run 600BHP+ in their demo car. They were suffering local boiling in the rad as it was so close to the turbo to the point that they burst a couple of rads. I suggested using the non-aqeuous coolant and they were inpressed enough with the results that they started to sell it.

The other big advantage is it's environmentally friendly and non-toxic.

[Edited on 4-12-10 by bimbleuk]

Ninehigh

posted on 4/12/10 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sweet, so if I drained my Mondeo radiator I could just pour that stuff in and forget about it? (Remembering to regularly check the level and top up as needed of course)

britishtrident

posted on 4/12/10 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Only on porridge :-)

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

andrew

posted on 4/12/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
its not to use in a seven its for racing on shale where when its wet the radiator eventually gets so full of it that no air can pass through it , if you put deflector on it works but temps go up too much and it can boil , was wondeing if the evans stuff would help ,,
matt_gsxr

posted on 4/12/10 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Here's some theory:

It seems that the key benefit of the evans coolant is that your engine isn't limited in temperature by the arbitrary temperature of 100degC (or thereabouts) and so can run much hotter. The heat capacity of the coolant is lower than water, but as fluid is much hotter it dissipates more heat in from the radiator.

http://www.evanscooling.com/fuel-efficiency/

Running at higher temperatures has thermodynamic advantages and may benefit in terms of clean combustion, and lower cooling fan requirements (low speed overheating is only a problem really for the coolant, not for the rest of the engine).

I don't think this logic actually works in a high-performance vehicle. In that case we want the cylinder head to be relatively cool so as to pack as much air in and to allow high compression ratios without detonation. Running at higher temperatures would not favour this, and the lower heat capacity of the coolant would require higher coolant flow rates to compensate. Hence why F1 don't use it.

Matt

oadamo

posted on 4/12/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
i thought that all fluids contain water other then fuels so what would this stuff be made from.
adam

britishtrident

posted on 4/12/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Most likely one of the glycols

Higher boiling point isn't the advantage it appears as micro boiling in the boundary layer in the coolant on the outside of the cylinder liner actually aids heat transfer and improves cooling.

bimbleuk

posted on 4/12/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I used an 87 deg thermostat my engine didn't run any higher than normal. My engine was 10.5:1 CR with 1 bar of boost with no evidence of detonation when mapping or on the road. So I can only go on what I observed from using it for 2 years in that configuration.

[Edited on 4-12-10 by bimbleuk]

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
bimble,

sounds like your radiator and pump are excellent already.

I guess the advantage of no local boiling after turning off is a benefit, but having a pressurized cooling system isn't a problem that I worry about. Have you always found this stuff to be equally good at cooling in all the cars you have run it in, or has the temperature sometimes been higher with it?

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
bimble,

I guess the advantage of no local boiling after turning off is a benefit, but having a pressurized cooling system isn't a problem that I worry about. Have you always found this stuff to be equally good at cooling in all the cars you have run it in, or has the temperature sometimes been higher with it?

Matt

bimbleuk

posted on 5/12/10 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
bimble,

Matt

There is pressure in the system but only about 3PSI. I used it in an MR2 turbo and didn't notice particularly high temps in that in normal use. In the Striker with an 87 deg thermostat the temps would be around 90deg on the Smiths gauge I was using. I used the common Polo rad which had an intercooler mounted in front of it. I made up cowling to trap air in front and had side vents on the engine bay so the air flow was decent.

So yes on the Strker I didn't use it to cure an issue but more from preference from previous experience on the MR2. My MR2 did suffer some cooling issues due to being modified. The Evans coolant was part of the solution to getting stable temps as the car was used for track days and drag racing.

britishtrident

posted on 5/12/10 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Propylene glycol ------ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.