Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any tips for insuring kids who are learning to drive?
craig1410

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Any tips for insuring kids who are learning to drive?

Hi,

My daughter is about to turn 17 next month and I need some tips on how best to go about getting her insured to drive one of my cars. I am registered keeper and policyholder for both my Toyota Aygo and the SEAT Altea which my wife drives.

Here are some facts about each:

Toyota Aygo Platinum 1.0 vvti Petrol 2008 '08 reg. Value around £5k
Insured with eSure for 13k miles per year and includes class 1 business use ( I need to provide a car for business use as my employer give me a car allowance)
13 years NCD and this is currently protected
50-55MPG and can turn a profit when I do business miles
Current premium is £225 per annum.

SEAT Altea 1.6 essence petrol 2005 '55 reg. Value around £3k
Insured with Admiral for 9k miles per year and does not include business use as it is used by my wife
13 years NCD and is also protected
32-35MPG
Current premium is £167 per annum.

No convictions in last 5 years and last claim was in May '06 when my wife clipped the garden fence (£800 claim)

The original plan was for my daughter to be insured for the Aygo but she isn't happy because I would need this during the day for business use. She was hoping that I would use the Altea and she could then use the Aygo to drop my wife at work and then take it to school. Then pick up my wife on way home from school and use it in the evenings. Obviously she would need to pass her test first... I don't want to drive my wife's car every day as it will cost me more in petrol and is a bright red Altea which isn't really my kind of thing... I prefer my chuckable little Aygo.

Is there likely to be a big difference in cost between the Aygo and the Altea if I was to add her as a named driver? I got a rough quote of £587 if I added her to my Aygo insurance (£420 increase) is this about what is expected?

Any tips for getting the quote reduced? For examples restrictions in mileage, restrictions on hours of usage, increased excesses etc. Also, is it possible to get a separate policy to cover her usage and restrict the mileage to something like 2000 miles per year? I'm just concerned that my 13k miles per year policy which includes commuting and business use might be working against me.

Thanks,
Craig.

[Edited on 4/12/2010 by craig1410]

McLannahan

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is that £600 for her to be added as a learner or once she's passed? I know it's a hell of a lot of money but knowing how high young driver's policies are...It almost sounds reasonable!
Stuart_B

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
i would snap there hand of for a 17 year old insure quote for that. as long as it is for her once she has passed the test or learning to drive?

mine was around 2.2k for my first year on a 1.1 saxo.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

RichardK

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Snap there hand off, my lad was £1800 tpft for a peugeot 106 1.1L, will she get any ncd as a named driver? Make sure thats not just as a provisional driver, ie always accompanied. Cheapest was Tesco fyi

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 4/12/10 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rayward

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
my daughter is 17 and has just got insured on her 1.0 corsa for £688 TPFT thats with the policy in her name and her as the main driver, thats with me and the wife on as named drivers which brought it down by about £250 with elefant.co.uk

once shes passed her test, it will go up to around £1300 based on the current rates.

Ray

eddie99

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
If thats a quote for once she's passed, thats very very good!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Stott

posted on 4/12/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Out of interest how do you get your insurers to honour your NCD on both cars?

Unless you have had 2 policies for 13 years claim free which would make sense.

If I could do that I'd put the Wifes Bug in my name and save some dough

bmseven

posted on 4/12/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Be wary of some companies increasing the premium hugely when she passes

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

BigGeoff

posted on 4/12/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
try these guys

http://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/

or

http://www.driveiq.co.uk/

craig1410

posted on 4/12/10 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks to all who have replied already.

That quote was through gocompare and it was based on her having a provisional license so I think I'd better brace myself for it going up in price after she has passed her test. I'll have to bung the driving instructor some cash to stop her passing I think... Might be cheaper that way!

These prices are absolutely ridiculous aren't they! I know young drivers are higher risk but some of the numbers I've just been hearing are disgusting plain and simple. If premiums are based on risk then one would have to conclude that the risk of an incident is pretty high and as a parent I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with that. On the other hand maybe the insurance companies are profiteering in which case I don't feel any better!

I'll go and run the quote through again this time as a qualified driver (ie. full licence) and see what figure I get this time. Maybe I should have a brandy first!

ps. By the way, I have 13 years NCD on both policies just because I've had two policies for so long and the NCD was protected.

Just updated the quote to show her as being 17 with full licence held for less than a month and the result was.....£642 not too bad I suppose. (Funny how the absurd seems reasonable after you get used to the absurdity of it...) Best quote was elephant.co.uk then Bell who were cheapest with the provisional licence. The scary thing is that the next one up on gocompare was over £2000!!

[Edited on 4/12/2010 by craig1410]

Richard Quinn

posted on 4/12/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
My lad is 21 and has just got a 2001 Astra Coupe (1.8). He's paying £2100 TPFT!!
russbost

posted on 4/12/10 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you are relatively ancient, have lots of NCB (which you do) I would suggest get a quote off LV (Liverpool Victoria) - they aren't included in quotes from people like gocompare or elephant, for a toyota Yaris 1.0 (can't be much different to the Aygo) I paid about £160 for me & the wife, went up by about £360 to add my daughter (17) on her provisinal, went up to about £420 when she passed her test IIRC - that was with a guaranteed NCB, ie limitless claims, would have been cheaper with the standard protected NCB.
Good luck, my second daughter wrote off 2 cars in a year & this one wiped the Yaris down a post in a car park (it obviously jumped out in front of her!) on the same day as daughter No.2 wrote off the 2nd one!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big-vee-twin

posted on 5/12/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
You tend to get a reasonable quote while they are learning because the assumption is you will be driving 90% of the time, when they pass the policy addition will double and treble because they are now seen as frequent drivers.

I got my lad through his test with reasonable insurance costs his car is now off the road!!

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

omega 24 v6

posted on 5/12/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Second LV Here it was the cheapest for my young lad as well ( till he had a claim) now he is with Admiral I think. BUT you are looking at 1.5 to 2K in their own names fully comp with mum and dad on the policy as well ( brought it down considerably by more tha 100 quid). My girlas were a bit cheaper for their policies though at the same age.

Check with esure though ( who I am with) i was pretty sure they did not cover under 25's

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Hellfire

posted on 5/12/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just got a quote from LV for my nephew who has recently passed his test. 18yrs old, no NCD, no other named drivers, Toyota Yaris 998cc, £4,685

Stott

posted on 9/12/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Join the CSMA

If you aren't a civil servant then find one who is in the CSMA and they can refer you. In fact I can refer a couple of people if anyone wanted to join.

I got mega insurance discounts from LV (then Frizzel) who are heavily associated with the CSMA. It costs £15 a year to join and you get a monthly mag plus good savings rates, insurance discounts, days out, etc. Like Alton Towers £10 a ticket on certain days, Greenflag rescue for like £35/year etc etc.

I've been with CSMA & LV for 13 years now, they are always trumps for me, plus when my old man had his Cossie nicked in 96 they paid over top book for it after seeing what they were selling for and all done within a week or so, UK only too which is a blessing, and no, I don't work for them or get commission

You could always requote through them asking about CSMA discount before you fork out the £15

HTH
Stott

40inches

posted on 9/12/10 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Good luck, my second daughter wrote off 2 cars in a year & this one wiped the Yaris down a post in a car park (it obviously jumped out in front of her!) on the same day as daughter No.2 wrote off the 2nd one!

This is why young drivers pay such high premiums, the chances of a driver under 25 having an accident are astronomically high
Girls because of spacial awareness ie: slow speed shunts and boys because of excessive speed.
Got two of each and they have just about proved the statistics

big_john

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
i know this is a few weeks ago now, but have you tried admiral multicar? when i tried that for me, my mum and my dad, it came to £2000.

thats a punto 1.2 for me (with 2 claims, 6 pts), a Honda Jazz, and a BMW 530D.

considering on my own, claims were coming in at over £4000, i'd give them a go.

Providing you haven't already sorted it out.

morcus

posted on 9/1/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
The reason it goes up by so much is because once you've passed you can go out on your own and your much more likely to Crash the car when your parents (Who might own it) are there.)

I would personally say don't bother, tell her that if she wants to drive she'll have to pay herself and I deffinitly wouldn't let a 17 year old drive my car (Though to be fair Noone else has ever driven my car apart from Fiat Employees).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

femster87

posted on 9/1/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
The reason it goes up by so much is because once you've passed you can go out on your own and your much more likely to Crash the car when your parents (Who might own it) are there.)

I would personally say don't bother, tell her that if she wants to drive she'll have to pay herself and I deffinitly wouldn't let a 17 year old drive my car (Though to be fair Noone else has ever driven my car apart from Fiat Employees).

Not even your wife?????

craig1410

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I got fixed up with Admiral Multi-car which was very straightforward since the other car was already with Admiral. The best quote I ended up with was with Bell who are part of the Admiral group but the paperwork is all Admiral branded. When I called I got to speak to a lovely Canadian girl who was extremely helpful despite having a nasty cold. I've called this Canadian call centre a few times over the last few years and it is always such a pleasure to deal with them compared to the usual off-shore call centres. And it is an 0800 number. Definitely the way to do business. I was on the phone for about 45 minutes but it felt like I was having a chat with a friend - weird but true!

Anyway, I've been out driving once with my Daughter so far and it went well (nobody died...) Actually, she did okay but I think it brought her down to earth with a bump as she was expecting to just pick it up easily in the same way as she tends to do with sports and academic work. However, even though it was a very quiet industrial estate road with almost no traffic, she was having to concentrate like hell to steer and do the pedals and gears all at once. I've got to say I felt pretty uneasy to begin with but kept calm and reassuring I think. I did have my hand on the handbrake for much of the "lesson".

All we did was go through operating the controls and then start-up procedure, pulling out from the side of the road, pulling back in and stopping safely and a couple of 1st to 2nd gear changes. We also went round a roundabout a couple of times and did one inadvertent 3 point turn (yes I know they are not called that any more...). She was supposed to just turn in the road with the help of an adjacent entrance to an industrial unit but didn't wind on the steering lock fast enough. This was probably once of the worst bits as I hadn't discussed reverse gear with her yet and we were completely blocking the road. However, I kept calm and talked her through reversing and we got out of it okay.

Morcus, I hear what you are saying but when I traded my Leon Cupra for the Aygo at the height of the last petrol price hike, I did so with this situation in mind. I have worked out that the Aygo saves me £3300 per year compared to the Cupra so spending just over 10% of those savings on insurance so that I can help to teach my daughter to drive seems okay. I think too many kids these days ONLY do driving lessons and to my mind this gives them a very limited view of the driving world. I was the opposite, I only had 4 driving lessons and to be honest this was just to fill in the time between applying and getting an appointment. I drove many hours with my Dad and in fact I had been driving on private farm roads since I was 15. This meant that all the hand-eye and muscle-memory aspects of driving were already well developed which meant that I only had to listen to the instructor and do what he said in order to pass my test. As always there is a balance to be struck but I think a block of 10 weekly lessons plus plenty of practice (3/4 times per week) in between should work well. We shall see...

Cheers,
Craig.

morcus

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
For the record I'm not married so I couldn't say for sure whether I'd let a future wife drive my current car.

I agree with you about people only having driving experience from lessons, I just don't think it's a good plan to buy your children cars or insurance. Blame my parents, they do have five kids. Count youself luck you've got a daughter and not a son on this occasion.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

craig1410

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well actually I've got two daughters (17, 14) and a son (12) so maybe it would be cheaper to qualify as a driving instructor!

My son and younger daughter are pretty decent go-kart drivers but that could just as easily be a bad thing as a good thing...

Ninehigh

posted on 15/1/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Snap there hand off, my lad was £1800 tpft for a peugeot 106 1.1L, will she get any ncd as a named driver? Make sure thats not just as a provisional driver, ie always accompanied. Cheapest was Tesco fyi

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 4/12/10 by RichardK]

I'd snap your hand off for £1800. My lad got quoted about £2500 for the same.

I was going to advise you to bend over, open your wallet and then expect them to double that quote you have (the £225) and then add a zero to the end.

Insurance companies seem to think that 17 year old males have an overwhelming compulsion to take their first tinbox and immediately slam it into the most expensive vehicle possible at the highest speed they can, repeatedly, until they turn 55...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.