Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bec vs cec
v10

posted on 13/12/10 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
bec vs cec

Hi guys, I know theres lots of threads here on this subject but few actually give a clear idea of the performance difference.

I'm currently in the market for a 7 style car and the only thing I can't decide on is car or bike engined! My main use will be track days (proly 90% of use) and I'll proly be 2 up half the time. Now I know the bec will be faster to 100 from what I've read here but how much faster ? are we talking a second or 3-4 seconds ? If I was going for car engine it would proly be the 4age engine. So how would this compare to The likes of a blade or r1 powered car ?

I live in Ireland so I reckon it would be difficult enough to find someone to work on a bec but then I do like the idea of a sequential box

Any advise before I buy ?

Cheers.

RazMan

posted on 13/12/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
oooo 'eck you've done it now, where's me popcorn?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 13/12/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
and in the BLUE corner.......

DING DING ROUND 1

ps BEC lol

dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 13/12/10 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
If its a stock 4AGE then the BEC should be a fair bit quicker - depends how light you make the car. Can't easily put any accurate numbers on it though!

If you look at quarter mile times an R1 BEC should do it in low 13's or high 12's depending on tyres and gearing. I don't have any times for a 4AGE engined car but I'm sure someone will. I doubt its going to be more than a second in the quarter mile. If you pick a particular speed like 0 to 60 or 0 to 100 then you may see a fair advantage with the BEC as often they can hit 60 in first or 100 in third, again depends on gearing.

If you're mostly doing track work then the revs and sequential box of the BEC should be favourable, much like if you'd said mostly road use or touring someone would probably recommend a CEC for lower cruise RPM and having reverse as standard

marcjagman

posted on 13/12/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Aren't CEC better on fuel too?
hobbsy

posted on 13/12/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know for sure.

However my R1 Fury can do mid 30's if you keep the speed (and therefore revs) down.

My mate with a 2.0 XE engined Westie on twin 45's gets 22mpg most of the time...

SPYDER

posted on 13/12/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Horses for courses as far as I am concerned.
My roadgoing Spyder Silverstone kitcar has a 2 litre 16V 160hp engine.
Our trackday Phoenix has a 140 odd hp 929 'blade engine.
Both are perfectly suited to their environment.
I've never measured the performance of either but I suspect the Phoenix to be quicker through the gears.
Carrying a passenger reduces the BEC's advantage though.
The Phoenix, however, feels LOADS quicker and will also outcorner and outbrake the Spyder due to it's lightness advantage.
12,000 revs and paddle shift sequential gear changes. Addictive. Hypnotic.

So, I would say, given 90% trackday use, Buy a BEC.
There. I've said it.

l0rd

posted on 13/12/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC
marcjagman

posted on 13/12/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC CEC

So which is it for you then?

hughpinder

posted on 13/12/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
The other advantageof the lower weight of a BEC is that you can go round corners faster and stop faster too. Sequential changes are probably quicker as well.

However, you say you'll be 2 up, in which case the second person will take away your weight advantage compared to a single person in the same sort of car. (I dont know about all engines, but a 2.0 duratec with standard gearbox/clutch/starter/alternator etc weighs about 165kg. A bike engine is about 80 to 85. If you engineer the whole of the rest of the car the same (apart for engine and box) you will end up about 80kg lighter. If you go on the road you will need reverse, and this will add another chunk of cost and eat away a few kg of weight advantage.
2 people weight (say) 150kg, so your 'all up' weight of the BEC will be about 600kg, of the CEC 680kg.
I would expect the CEC to be much more durable in the engine/gearbox area, whereas the BEC is going to be limited in this respect.
Having said all that people with BECs don't seem to be complaining about silly failure rates.

Just a few more things to think about
Regards
Hugh

ETA SPYDER seems to have made most of the same points while I was thinking....

[Edited on 13/12/10 by hughpinder]

hobbsy

posted on 13/12/10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
A blade is only about 62Kg and an R1 isn't much more. 80 to 85kg is either a blackbird or a Busa kind of weight (both could do with a dry sump). So maybe a 100Kg weight advantage in the engine/gearbox combo. Then you can maybe save a bit more by going for solid rather than vented disks but we're talking a kg or two tops.

Its nice being able to pick up the complete engine and gearbox by yourself - certainly with the Blade / R1 but a Blackbird is a bit of a back strainer!

mookaloid

posted on 13/12/10 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
The easy answer to your question is that a BEC will generally be quicker round a track than the 4AGE in the same car.

After that the BEC vs CEC question depends on which engines you want to compare.....

e.g. A 300 BHP duratec in a well set up car is hard to beat unless you have a Haybusa turbo etc etc. the real question is how far/fast do you want to go?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

carpmart

posted on 13/12/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
A deliberatley provocative post if ever I saw one! :]

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

twybrow

posted on 13/12/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Get a ride in both and decide for yourself... This is not a decision I would be ahppy to make based upon others peoples views.. It is so subjective, you will always recieve a 50/50 answer...

For my money, for what you want, a BEC with a bigger lump would be good (ZX12, Busa, ZX14, Blackbird etc).... But dont decide until you actually know what they are like to be in.

kj

posted on 13/12/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Power

See this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWkNAQW9fXc

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

A1

posted on 13/12/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
that vids been removed...

bec every time in a seveny thing!

as a performance comparison, i left a tuned r33 skyline easily behind me pretty easily

v10

posted on 13/12/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses. I know that most of these topics create a bit of bec/cec rivalry and that wasnt my intention (really). My problem is that here in Ireland these cars are not nearly as common as the UK and getting to try them out first would be very difficult. I have a bike (CBR1000) myself so I do have a good idea how they perform on 2 wheels anyway. My concern is the 2 up performance, I reckon the cec would suffer a lot less with 2 up vs the bec with the extra torque they should have.

Ive watched a ton of youtube videos of these cars on track days to give me an idea of performance and still every day I change my mind.

TBH if I thought that the cec was only a small bit slower I proly go with it for relibility sake and the ease of finding someone willing to work on it.

decisions decisions .. I thought this would be easier !

hobbsy

posted on 13/12/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
How handy are you with the spanners?

Basic servicing is no more difficult with a BEC...

Humbug

posted on 13/12/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Given you're from Ireland, shouldn't it be FEC FEC FEC FEC FEC FEC FEC FEC FEC FEC

Heather

posted on 13/12/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

For a direct comparison of the same car with a ce and be, log onto the 750mc website and check out Gary Goodyears times for last year in the Kitcar championship. He was running a RAW Fulcrum with high spec'd small port 4age engine.
Then check this years times when he moved to RGB and ran the same car with a ZX12.

Should give you some kind of idea on performance.

scudderfish

posted on 13/12/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a V8 in it

adithorp

posted on 13/12/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
The difference with a BEC when 2 up is just more noticable. To get the same power/weight with a 4pot CEC your going to need something with a fair bit of work done to it. My R1 will certainly match a 4age even 2up with luggage. It doesn't feel slow with a passenger... it just feels balistic when they get out!

How soon are you looking to get a car (sounds like you're looking at built cars)? You could always come over to Stoeleigh show in May and beg a few rides.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Ivan

posted on 13/12/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just to put my bit in - on a track day does it really matter which is quicker? Especially when the difference is unlikely to be more than a second or five when two up. And believe me both will frighten your passenger.

Surely what matters is reliability and repair-ability - especially if as you say BEC skills are problematical where you live. In my very limited experience what really matters is driving quickly near the limit of your ability - and that both BEC and CEC will give you in bucketloads.

And, in my opinion, the CEC will be much easier on the wallet in the long term and have much less down time and give the local mechs much less income.

Also - whichever you get you will soon want more and then the question is which do you feel more confident about upgrading.

v10

posted on 13/12/10 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
cheers lads, some good advice in here .. leaning towards cec at the moment, think it just might suit my needs better for now. How are the 2.0 pinto's in comparison to the 4age ?.. the pintos seem far more common by the looks of things.
Benzo

posted on 13/12/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts in Ireland are you, my mate has a 4age stuart Taylor and i have a westfield megablade i could show you around, im right up north in Co. Londonderry.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.