Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MGB GT 1968 Tax Exempt £3000 SWAP Westfield/Locost?
montythemole

posted on 15/12/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
MGB GT 1968 Tax Exempt £3000 SWAP Westfield/Locost?

I'm selling my MGB, as it just doesn't get used enough. Willing to swap for a Westfield/Locost or similar?

Model: MGB GT
Variant: 1.8 4 speed manual
Year: 1968
Mileage: Speedo reads 16k, so expect is 116k
Tax: 9 months (Exempt)
MOT: None at present but will stick 12 months on

It's an early MGB GT, with the chrome bumpers and with the original steel wheels rather than wires or minilites like all the others! Never ceases to get positive comments and waves when I drive it.

I bought this from a mate who had it laid up in his workshop for years having bought it from someone who had spent a lot of time and money restoring it. Sadly a bad hip and pressures of running a business meant he seldom used it.

I've had it about 2 years, checked it over and put through it's first MOT in a few years which it passed without even an advisory. MOT now expired but will re-MOT for the buyer.

The restorer spent a lot of time and money on the car and it is in very good order. Sadly all history is lost so other than what I can gather from looking at it and the MOT I have no history hence the price. Other cars in this condition with history are a lot more!

Engine - 1.8 engine in very good cosmetic order, looks like it's been rebuilt and starts easily and runs great. It's got the early 4 speed non overdrive gearbox. The car vibrates nicely on tickover, unlike the Prius I'm more used to.

Bodywork - GT coupe in that orangey colour they do. It's had a full respray of fairly good quality in the past. There is the odd stone chip, a smallrust spot on the roof and the rear qtr seams show slight bubbling (they always do) and bottom edge of boot is crusty when you open it but otherwise very good. It's easily good enough to polish up and take to shows as I have done. None of these have got any worse in my ownership as is kept warm and dry in the garage and only used in the dry.

Interior - The seats have lovely patina red leather but the drivers has split so previous owner fitted a full set of black leather (or leather look not sure) covers which look great. If I could have found a decent matching front seat I would have removed the covers as I like car's to show their history.
All new carpets throughout.
Head lining is worn and needs replacing to be honest, but I'm more of a nuts and bolts than fabric guy. New lining is £70 from owners club or can source fabric elsewhere cheaper.
Has original magnetic 3 point Kangol fixed belts in front and a single inertia reel in back for kids seat (managed to fit my 1 years old in car seat in back).

Stereo - Fitted with a retro style MP3 SD/USB head unit running through two small speakers installed in the centre speaker mount. Aerial is run under the dash to avoid having it ruin the lines of the car, so you get modern audio without it intruding on the classic look.

Dash - all dials work with exception of rev counter. It was reading 2x the actual rpm so I disconnected and fitted an auxiliary small tacho as shown until I found a working example of the original.

Driving - It's fun to drive and makes you feel like Austin Powers. It's not especially fast or nippy (they never were) but makes you smile.

Mods - Since owning it I've tried to sympathetically update the car:
Battery isolator switch behind drivers seat
Changed to single 12v from two 6v batteries
Fitted Porsche style retro mirrors
Removed front and rear overriders (rear plate now illuminated with light up number plate bolts), these will come with car if required to be put back on.
Replaced corroded front bumper with good example
Small tacho as stated
Complete new hoses throughout engine bay
Flushed and filled coolant
Greased kingpins (very important on the MGB)

Offered for sale or may swap for something interesting, really got the track day bug so after a Westfield/Locost/Robin Hood/Caterham style car or similar. Or anything suited to track days.

Engine (pre dusting off!):

Headlining:

Rubbish shot of the tacho, switches have better labels on now as well!

Stereo and speakers (pre tacho install)

Original red leather visible under covers:

Speakers in console:

Seatbelts:

Paint bubble on roof:

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

marcjagman

posted on 15/12/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know where you got a valuation of £3000 from, more like £1600. Had loads of these, and got one now.
Steve Hignett

posted on 15/12/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
Don't know where you got a valuation of £3000 from, more like £1600. Had loads of these, and got one now.

If you're real quick about it, you could probably kick him again whilst he's still down...

marcjagman

posted on 15/12/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
[If you're real quick about it, you could probably kick him again whilst he's still down...

Not that cruel, but it's definately not worth £3k

MakeEverything

posted on 15/12/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
[If you're real quick about it, you could probably kick him again whilst he's still down...

Not that cruel, but it's definately not worth £3k

I think i would have to agree. A concours car would be between 4 and 6k, but with the engine bay and interior in that condition, i would have to agree with the £1600 valuation though i would probably have been a bit more tactful!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

tony-devon

posted on 15/12/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
well how do you tactfully tell someone that their car is worth half what they are asking for it?

sad but true

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 15/12/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony-devon
well how do you tactfully tell someone that their car is worth half what they are asking for it?

sad but true

Via U2U, would be pretty tactful in my humble opinion...

Hellfire

posted on 15/12/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Why do people feel the need to tell him his car isn't worth what he's asking for it? It's his car and it's for sale at a price he wants. If it's an unreasonable price, then I'm sure he'll find out through lack of interest sooner or later.

Phil

marcjagman

posted on 15/12/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
So I shouldn't mention that I noticed the doors and bonnet don't line up properly then due to the front wings probably not put on correctly? Okay then I wont mention it.
marcjagman

posted on 15/12/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Why do people feel the need to tell him his car isn't worth what he's asking for it? It's his car and it's for sale at a price he wants. If it's an unreasonable price, then I'm sure he'll find out through lack of interest sooner or later.

Phil

Maybe because the person that may swap doesn't know how much it is worth and will be a fortune out of pocket? or possibly because it's better to find out now rather than in a few months time due to lack of interest or maybe like so many other people do I am merely expressing my opinion, some will agree, some wont, that is their opinion.

Hellfire

posted on 15/12/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
So I shouldn't mention that I noticed the doors and bonnet don't line up properly then due to the front wings probably not put on correctly? Okay then I wont mention it.

If you're interested in it, then discuss it and negotiate a price with the seller. If you're not interested, why make comments like this?

Phil

McLannahan

posted on 15/12/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not necesary in the slightest. Lost a bit of my respect MarcJagman.

scootz

posted on 15/12/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
A concours car would be between 4 and 6k...

Really!? Prices must have crashed a fair bit since I last looked at concours MG's... which was yesterday!

It's Evolution Baby!

montythemole

posted on 15/12/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Friendly some of the people on here eh?

Based price on ebay completed listings, what cars are going for in the classic mags, the advice in an MGB anniversary special mag a few months back and the online classifieds. It's complete, shiny, reliable, an early model and in good condition. Have had over a dozen people ask to come see when listed at 3.5k but all but 2 never showed up or cancelled day before (maybe just my back luck, maybe MarcJagman is hunting them down and putting them off who knows :-) ) hence why going for forum sales etc and reduced price.

At the end of the day it's worth what someone will pay for it, as is whatever car anyone offers to swap in return. Not like a kitcar is cut and dry on valuation either, along with the usual age, condition, spec issues you have the quality of the build as well. If two people think a swap is fair with or without cash either way then everyone's happy eh? I will agree with the cheerful fellow that it seems prices have dipped recently though, when I first got it a similar condition car was looking nearer the 4.5k. Obviously if it was the roadster would be way more.

Oh and bonnet gaps are perfect, door gaps aren't but they never were. Anything with decent door gaps has defo had work done!

Any further (helpful) input?

alawrence

posted on 15/12/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 16/12/10 by alawrence]
deltron63

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
So what's my factory built MGB GT V8 worth nowdays?
Thinking about it

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

In keeping with the quality of the way they were when they left the factory. I know I had one too.

montythemole

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deltron63
So what's my factory built MGB GT V8 worth nowdays?

According to some on here about a fiver, so I'll offer you a tenner yes?

alawrence

posted on 16/12/10 at 04:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Phil

here here

Peteff

posted on 16/12/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:
Originally posted by tony-devon

sad but true

Via U2U, would be pretty tactful in my humble opinion...

Spot on and all the rest of the comments, I think it is disgraceful to comment in someone else's thread telling them they're dreaming. Have you not read the unwritten rule, if you don't want to buy it keep your opinion to yourself and your nose out of the thread.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Fozzie

posted on 16/12/10 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I have got to agree with the sentiments above .... not quite in the 'spirit' marcjagman.

The guy wasn't asking for a 'what do you thinks it's worth' .... nor was he asking for anyones
opinion.....
If you are concerned for him in the respect that he may not sell it at that price, then it is far better to be discreet and
tactful and send him a u2u .....

Those who may be interested will contact him, those who are not, wont ......

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

montythemole

posted on 16/12/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
As for justification for my 'wildly inflated price' click this link:

Car anc Classic Search

Currently 38 examples of 1960-69 MGB GT for sale. All but one (at £2999 reduced for quick sale) is more expensive than mine, most by several thousand.

So maybe marcjagman best get busy and email everyone selling MGBs to tell them they're overcharging as the message obviously isn't getting out there, the poor misguided fools!

flak monkey

posted on 16/12/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest I am getting sick and tired of people commenting on for sale threads saying that the item isnt worth what its advertised for.

Its up to the seller to set a price, if there are no buyers, then the seller can adjust it as suitable, or just advertise on ebay or elsewhere and probably get a better price.

Something is worth what you can get for it. I know a lot of people on here expect the world for nothing though, sadly that isnt reality.

I would say £3k isn't far off the mark for a chrome bumper model which are the most sought after. If the shell is in good condition, that also pushes the price up a bit.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scootz

posted on 24/12/10 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
To be honest I am getting sick and tired of people commenting on for sale threads saying that the item isnt worth what its advertised for.

Its up to the seller to set a price, if there are no buyers, then the seller can adjust it as suitable, or just advertise on ebay or elsewhere and probably get a better price.

Something is worth what you can get for it. I know a lot of people on here expect the world for nothing though, sadly that isnt reality.

I would say £3k isn't far off the mark for a chrome bumper model which are the most sought after. If the shell is in good condition, that also pushes the price up a bit.

Good post David!

This trend of taking pot-shots at members FS prices needs to stop!

It's Evolution Baby!

gottabedone

posted on 24/12/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Not just prices Scootz this one turned into a handbag fight as well

A shame really as this forum is bloody good and a credit to the mederators - even with some people trying to drag it down

.......maybe they should stay on youtube and the likes

Steve

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.