Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modifying new kitchen sink
tegwin

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Modifying new kitchen sink

Just about to fit a new kitchen sink... was a reasonably cheap sink... only has a tiny bit of bitumin sound deadening on the base of the main sink.... Im thinking the sink is going to be very noisy and get a lot of condensation underneath it...

I am tempted to spray it with expanding foam on the under-side and then carve it back so I have an even coating of about 1.5" over the entire base including the draining board...

Do we recon that will actually help make the thing quieter and feel more "expensive"...

Any downsides to doing this?

Edit so say, its a franke stainless steel jobbie....

[Edited on 15/12/10 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

austin man

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
put more bitumen on it , you can buy sheets from paint and panel suppliers. How much noise are you expecting once water has filled the bottom you will hardly notice as the weight will take out any flexing it may have

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

tegwin

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Its quite a large basin... and thin steel, so it makes quite a lot of noise when you "put" stuff in it... my bedroom is over the kitchen.... so I am doing anything I can to reduce the noise I sleep veerrry lightly

The last sink I bought (which was a lot more expensive) had a layer of heavy rubberised foamy type stuff moulded around the base of the stainless...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

thunderace

posted on 15/12/10 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
99% of expanding foam is not waterproff?
so i would not use it

paint it with underseal will work

[Edited on 15/12/10 by thunderace]

ashg

posted on 15/12/10 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
expanding foam isnt closed cell so bad idea as it will soak up water like a sponge. if it was me i would just fit it and forget, i didn't know sinks had to be quiet.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ReMan

posted on 16/12/10 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
i thought frankys were a good brand, so if thats as much as they put on it?,,,,,,,,,

How about a bit of adhesive roof flashing if you must?

James

posted on 16/12/10 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i didn't know sinks had to be quiet.

Never even thought about it either. Always wondered what that crappy black stuff on the bottom is that always falls off! lol!

Something else to worry about now!!!

How often is 'sink underside condensation' a problem? Again, not something I've ever noticed!

I rarely fill my sink with cold water (ever?). It's only ever hot and 99% that's in a washing up bowl!

Do you bathe in it?

[Edited on 16/12/10 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

scottfraser

posted on 16/12/10 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
drink more wine = sleep less lightly

then get a life......

gottabedone

posted on 16/12/10 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
If you fit a dishwasher you don't have to worry about it
cliftyhanger

posted on 16/12/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
If concerned the bitumen pads for cars will do. If you think there is too much flex then use some tigerseal/whatever and glue some 18mm battens to the large area (assuming flat, may need carving) Have done this under the drainers if they flex to much.
Incidently, I have given up on the clips to hold sinks in place, now use a good bead of tigerseal, drop the sink in, leave a cuple of packs of tiles in overnight to weigh it down and job done. No faff, waterproof join that causes no problems (oldest one about 10 years now) and no useless clips.

tony-devon

posted on 16/12/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I got a butler sink, only noise I ever hear from it is when something fell in and smashed, (my favourite glass) then I wished I had a nice bouncy stainless one LOL

how far is the modifying going to go?

maybe some underseal, and while your under there, why not fit some blue neons? maybe some heatwrap around the taps?

or even go for a big bore plug hole

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 16/12/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I presume the 'heavy rubberised foamy type stuff' was either a bitumin or neopreame based stuff?

Some more sheet bitumin sounds good to me (ignore that pun) its not like your aiming for good power to weight or handling!

Daniel

nick205

posted on 16/12/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted a Franke 1 and 1/2 bowl sink/drainer in our kitchen and can't say I even considered the noise or condensation side of things. It's flexy as hell when it's not fitted, but once clipped and sealed in place it's pretty solid TBH.

Did you get the worktop jointing sorted out that you asked about previously?

02GF74

posted on 16/12/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
the solution is to fit a pair of noise cancelling speakers, waterproof ofcourse, next to the sink.

I will now have sleeples nights worrying if there is condensation on the underside of my sink - THANKS

[Edited on 16/12/10 by 02GF74]

tegwin

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Did you get the worktop jointing sorted out that you asked about previously?

I did thanks, a very kind member off here lent me his Jig... took me 2 days to get it right, but its looking really tidy now Just the finishing touches such as doors etc left to do now

nick205

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking we need some photos of this DIY masterpiece in progress
JoelP

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Frankie IS a good brand, so i wouldnt worry about noise. Condensation isnt an issue, its the cold pipe that would be a problem first.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

tegwin

posted on 16/12/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I'm thinking we need some photos of this DIY masterpiece in progress

Ok... You asked for it lol... will put up a new thread in a sec

DarrenW

posted on 17/12/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
If you do the washing up you wont have to worry about the noise when trying to sleep.

Personally id just hoy the sink in as it is and get the kitchen finished, stop faffing about!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.