Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need roof advice, steel flue, condensation on precast flue
MikeR

posted on 20/12/10 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Need roof advice, steel flue, condensation on precast flue

Arrgghh!

G/f noticed this morning a bit of damp in the bedroom. Turns out at the top of the precast flue there is damp along its top edge and a cm down the sides. Spent ages but got into the attic and able to get to the flue. The steel flue that goes through the roof isn't connected to the precast flue in the wall!!! :O Have found a number of bits of concrete and a broken bit of tile all around the flue

Luckily i've not used the flue in 4 or 5 years, removed the fire and plasterboarded over the fire place.

So ........ how does the metal flue go through the roof? Tried moving it to get it into the precast flue. I can move the whole flue but not the inner metal pipe - possibly due to the roof been really shallow slope and i can only just get a hand to it. Can't get at it from the outside due to nextdoors house being litterally 6" from mine

Can't prove anything but this may have happened when the blokes who did my guttering were moving the tiles. No idea at the moment how water proof the roof is.

Suggestions?

I'm thinking of putting some plasticy closed cell foam between the metal and concrete bits of flue - hopefully stop any water running down (if thats a problem) as a temporary measure.

(edited to add, managed to get a small bit of wood between the flue and a batton next to it - the flue is now pretty much vertical. Got the roofer who did the work coming back tomorrow to reseat the vent - curious how he'll do it, but thats his problem).

[Edited on 20/12/10 by MikeR]

Puzzled

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
flue

Love to B able to help but dont understand one word of what you are saying!!!!!."A picture paints a thousand words" Hope you get it sorted.
Peteff

posted on 20/12/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Luckily i've not used the flue in 4 or 5 years, removed the fire and plasterboarded over the fire place.

If you've sealed it at the bottom it should really have a vent in it or it can get damp in the chimney. If you don't intend to use it at any time have it removed and the hole in the roof tiled over.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeR

posted on 20/12/10 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Very tempted with that option - reality is it just needs the flue removing from the top then it becomes part of the cavity wall ..... something for the summer when i get a roofer in to look why two of the joists seems to have a permanent wet stain down them from the top of the roof.

Got the bloke who did the gutters / facias coming round tomorrow. He can't understand why there's a problem with the condensation (another story) but didn't bad an eye lid about the flue & said he go up the ladder and sort it. Suspect he'll change his mind when he see's how little room he has to work in - but thats his problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.