Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front mudguard struts snapping
AvonZX9R

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Front mudguard struts snapping

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so thought I would say hello. I have bought an Avon which currently has 17 x 7.5" wheels. During the various road tests over the late summer I have had both front mudguard struts fail (one which resulted in the mudguard annd steel strut missing my head by a whisker!). The steel strut weld has failed and I have modified them to make them much sturdier.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and does you think that the large wheels together with the 235 40 17 tyres might have contributed? Any help would be great. Thanks.

joemotion

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I had the same problem on my Avon which also has 17"s. Just a matter of welding them up. It does help if you put a cross support brace between the supports to stiffen it up as well as anything else you can get away with!. They have lasted a 1000 miles or so since then but its a common problem with the amount of hammer they receive

ashg

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
i think its a pretty common problem. they need to be a minimum of 5mm material to have any chance of lasting. some of the newer mnr designs are quite good as i believe they previously had quite a high failure rate.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Humbug

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Very common (not sure about Avon ones specifically). I ended up making my own from 1.25"*0.2" (or somethin like that) flat bar - no problems for many thousands of miles since then!
AvonZX9R

posted on 28/12/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks, hopefully my beefy mods will work!
austin man

posted on 28/12/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I think most make have had similar problesm as said good welds, thick material I would recommend heating and bending as cold forming weakens the metal as well

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

irvined

posted on 28/12/10 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
They tend to fail at the bracket where it mounts to the upright, or at the bend at the top. Check them for cracks regularly, and weld them up as needed.

You may find that it helps to have a brace linking the two, and use thicker material.

I uprated mine a bit and they have been on for about 10,000miles now with no more breaks.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.